Dumb stuff breaking.

This damn bike gonna be the death of me. lol. Today I was doing a simple oil change, which ive done several times on the bike. Go to loosen up this bolt, which I have many times before, and somehow the whole insert it threads into just comes loose and pulls partially out. I mean wtf... I only snug tight these small bolts enough that they cant fall out. No reason it should have pulled out like this. Siigh. Anyhow, probably get an oil tank for it, but since I am leaving Fri morn to ride all weekend, I used quik steel on it. Figured its not really a high impact part, sooo, it should hold it fine. Keep an eye on it I suppose for the time being til I can find a used tank on ebay.

2r4iwb7.jpg

Speaking of stuff braking! And I was supposed to ride The Little Brown Jug Enduro next weekend! Those plans may be shot all to crap now...doubt I can get the parts and get it fixed by then!

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377462381.382117.jpg

Dang, a bump start may be in your future...LOL.

Dang same thing happened with my oil tank bolt it now is covered in blue silicone! Gonna just do that until this winter then just drill out new threads.

Ya but this isnt threaded, it appears to just be an interference fit or something.

This damn bike gonna be the death of me. lol. Today I was doing a simple oil change, which ive done several times on the bike. Go to loosen up this bolt, which I have many times before, and somehow the whole insert it threads into just comes loose and pulls partially out. I mean &%$#@!... I only snug tight these small bolts enough that they cant fall out. No reason it should have pulled out like this. Siigh. Anyhow, probably get an oil tank for it, but since I am leaving Fri morn to ride all weekend, I used quik steel on it. Figured its not really a high impact part, sooo, it should hold it fine. Keep an eye on it I suppose for the time being til I can find a used tank on ebay.

2r4iwb7.jpg

I had a similar issue. I stripped the threads out in the oriface.

Does the oriface seating have a broken wield or are the threads stripped on the oriface? If just the threads, tap it out one size higher, if not:

1) remove the oil reservoir completely as some riders prefer and block off the oil passges to the reservoir from the engine. Some riders claim this provides more oil for the clutch etc.. there may be a kit available for this.

2) Pull off the reservoir, have the insert wielded up, and make sure the reservoir is clean before putting it back on. You'll notice there is a screen on the bottom oopening also. When you think you have it clean.. then clean it again.

3) I saw one used on Ebay (USA) recently for a 2012 WR250F but I think this reservoir is good for many other model years.

Regards,

Bill D

Edited by debargew

When I bought my bike the oil tank looked like that.  Someone had used JB weld or something on it and it didn't stick.  I was going to have it welded but after removing it from the bike I found the drain plug was epoxied on.  Picked a lightly used one off ebay that had all hoses and fittings for a decent price and it hasn't let me down yet!  I'm kind of worried about the design though, I wish there was a guard for the oil tank.  If you know a good welder then you could have them look at it.  If you do have it welded make sure it's cleaned out good before you reinstall.

Edited by Echo5413

It is not threaded so far as I could tell..in fact im pretty sure its oval shaped...so therefore def not threaded, lol.. It is not the bolt which is the problem. If you see in the picture, the oddly shaped aluminum piece the bolt threads into actually pulled away from the tank. Notice the gap between that lil "block" and the tank itself. Like it was some kind of interference fitted piece, and it just came loose somehow.

Edited by J_WR2fitty

When I bought my bike the oil tank looked like that.  Someone had used JB weld or something on it and it didn't stick.  I was going to have it welded but after removing it from the bike I found the drain plug was epoxied on.  Picked a lightly used one off ebay that had all hoses and fittings for a decent price and it hasn't let me down yet!  I'm kind of worried about the design though, I wish there was a guard for the oil tank.  If you know a good welder then you could have them look at it.  If you do have it welded make sure it's cleaned out good before you reinstall.

I will probably just find a used one in good shape. Far as the design, its no problem for me. I have a carbon fiber skid plate that does a great job of protecting that tank. I have no idea why this thing woulda pulled out like this, lol... Anyhow, Ill try to start it before I go, see if its holding/ any leaking. If not, just run it for the weekend, get a tank ordered.

I never loosen that bolt, for this very reason.

A lukewarm engine, it will drain completely with the bolt in place.

I never loosen that bolt, for this very reason.

A lukewarm engine, it will drain completely with the bolt in place.

Yea, I agree in hindsight. I mean it drains regardless if you take it out (albeit slower), and that bolt does virtually nothing else. I just never even thought this was even a possible area of part failure, outside of over-tightening it, which I always was careful NOT to do. I started to try and loosen it, and then felt the whole thing move...was like whaaa? Look at it, you got to be kidding me.

Edited by J_WR2fitty

... which is the 'zen' of wrenching. You have to look at every part and understand it before you touch it. Like posion ivy, some parts have three leaves and are best left untouched. Things like the Yamaha oil tanks, just scream 'crumple'.

LOL...i know. I seen that thing, and first thing I did was find a skid plate thatd help protect it! Just this, well...yea I definetly overlooked this possibility. Anyways, gonna test out the quick repair thurs or fri. If its leakin, guess the weekends shot. Either way, I needa grab a used tank on ebay asap. Gonna see if I can find one here shortly, perhaps get it by thurs...

This damn bike gonna be the death of me. lol. Today I was doing a simple oil change, which ive done several times on the bike. Go to loosen up this bolt, which I have many times before, and somehow the whole insert it threads into just comes loose and pulls partially out. I mean &%$#@!... I only snug tight these small bolts enough that they cant fall out. No reason it should have pulled out like this. Siigh. Anyhow, probably get an oil tank for it, but since I am leaving Fri morn to ride all weekend, I used quik steel on it. Figured its not really a high impact part, sooo, it should hold it fine. Keep an eye on it I suppose for the time being til I can find a used tank on ebay.

2r4iwb7.jpg

Ya, I know what you mean here. Same on my 2008 YZ250F. I use blue locktite on the thread being careful not to let it run all over too much. It also settles on the copper washer to seal it good. never any problems leaking.

the exact same thing happened to 1 of my ride buddies 07 last week. Must be something in the air :(

Ya, I know what you mean here. Same on my 2008 YZ250F. I use blue locktite on the thread being careful not to let it run all over too much. It also settles on the copper washer to seal it good. never any problems leaking.

LOL...what do you mean... Im saying the tank broke...it has nothing to do with the bolt, lmao....

Edited by J_WR2fitty

LOL...what do you mean... Im saying the tank broke...it has nothing to do with the bolt, lmao....

From reading the post, I understood a similiar problem happening to me, but, not as severe. The thread is just stripped, on my bike. I guess I was focussing more on your post's "title" and got taken away that " Dump stuff Breaking" is also my case and, wow, in a similiar area. I know what you mean about dumb stuff breaking as I have had many unusual things break on my 08.

I'm sorry that this probably makes me look foolish and stupid; I should have read your post more carefully paying closer attention that it was the insert that was damaged on your tank and not the bolt itself. An honest mistake . .  I hope. 

the exact same thing happened to 1 of my ride buddies 07 last week. Must be something in the air :(

Or something in the oil

I replace the washer under that bold with a rubber o-ring. The o-ring squishes and keeps tension on the bolt so it won't back out (and seals in oil), but the bolt isn't so tight that it won't come loose easily without breaking the oil tank. I've done this for 6 years on 4 different bikes without a problem.

I had a friend come to me after breaking his oil tank the same way. He was on a budget so I cleaned it really well and used JB weld to put it back into place. I then told him about the rubber o-ring trick and he has been doing ever since on the repaired oil tank without an issue.

Ya didnt mean to come off that way, just kept seein all these posts about the bolt, haha. Was like damn it! Its isnt the bolt!!! lol. But yes, the bolt is highly more reported to of broken or stripped then my particular problem...far as I have seen.