Sign in to follow this  

2010 450 Will not start?

Hi, I have a 2010 CRF450R, has been a great bike have never had any issues with it since I have owned it. 

I was riding at my local track yesterday was on my 4th practice moto and was going thru a rhythm section into a nice bowl turn, I came in a gear to high and when I was going through the corner and exiting it, the engine bogged down like a carb'd bike, I have never experienced this on an EFI bike before, I down shifted to 1st and rode the next section out, when I came to the end of the section I pulled in my clutch lever and the bike died.  I have not been able to restart it since.  Tried kicking, rolling down hill, push bump start nothing.  I pushed it back to the pits, there was alot of oil from my breather hose off the cylinder head cover (I removed the cap so it can drain freely) I did the mod where I capped the Y going into the air box and it all drains out behind the case.  So thought that was strange that it was blowing oil out it.  I can only think of 2 explanations for that, 1. I switched oil from Honda full synthetic to Lucas Oil Partial synthetic (which I don't think is the case) or 2. I over filled the engine oil when I changed it right before this ride.  I am almost positive it is an electrical issue, when I kick the bike the light on the kill switch does not light up.  When I kick it the bike will pop and burbled like it wants to start but nothing happens.  I just did a valve clearance check 2 rides ago everything was in spec.  A couple people at the track had me check my engine oil to see if gas had leaked into it but it looked clean and fine.  The PO swapped the fuel pump from the stock 10' to a 12'.

Its weird to me that it has working fine all day then it just dies, has any one experienced this on their bike?  Does any one of suggestions as to where the first place I should start looking is?

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Thanks Geoff

I would check for spark and fuel first pulling the plug should tell ya a lot the plugs in those do have a history of going bad good luck

Sorry to hear. Been through this with the same bike several times.

These models are truly starting nightmares. Clean your fuel filter and injector (or install new ones) and go from there.

Okay thanks guys, I took a look at the plug last night, it was producing good spark and when I pulled it out it was wet with fuel.  I unplugged the kill switch and tried to start the bike but no luck, it did pop  a couple times.  I will check all conections and take a look at the throttle body tonight. 

Have you ever changed the timing chain? It may have jumped time also

Took the throttle body and injector out, cleaned them up, injector looked fine to me.  Unplugged and reconnected all connectors nothing looked out of place.  Still no luck starting it.

I have not changed the timing chain, I will double check the timing tonight and I was going to try a new plug just to see, my dad suggested that since he didn't think there should be fuel on the plug if it was prodiucing a good spark.  So thats my next two moves.

I still think it is some kind of electrical problem because the light on the kill switch does not light up at all, does that not seem strange to anybody else?

Thanks for all of your input, Geoff

Did it light up before when kicking it ?I'm not %100 but I'm pretty sure my 09 didn't light until it fired

If you think the kill switch should light but, won't check to see if some thing got damaged in the wiring to it. Guessing you should have continuity thru the switch under normal circumstances but lost it in the event you described and won't allow it to start.

These EFI bikes will not turn or flash the light until it is running . As far as the plug being wet - if it was out of time that would cause the plug to be wet , try checking your timing and do a compression check - I don't know what the spec should be though . Also there's a ground on the right side that is bad about vibrating loose because its close to the top engine mount on the frame . Good luck if you've got oil in the drain tube it sounds like blow by issue .

Ok I've done a little research - after checking to make sure all your mechanical is ok IE timing , compression and spark - if all that cold ok you could have a bad ckp sensor/ damaged or the generator is not putting out voltage . If you have a dvom and a owners manual there is a wire schematic and you can probe the CkP wire to see if its producing a signal if it is then proceed to check the generator and there's a schematic for that if its putting out low voltage or none you can also see if the ECM is getting voltage . In the owners manual they have surprisingly a good flow chart for no start and a good description of what the tale tale light is suppose to do ! Hope this helps !

kinda funny. i have the exact same bike and i have the exact same problem, was riding and it just cut out. checked timing, sparkplug and compression and everything seems to be in order..

have to check fuel supply also. just bolted the engine back together from gear box drum failure so only had like 30minutes on it until it cut out :/

The shifting drum broke I'm my 09 too that's a lot of work for such a cheap part lol when I put mine back together mine was starting hard and that ended up being the ground that hooks to the bottom of the right radiator two grounds meet right there and one of mine was almost all the way broke but couldn't tell unless you took the connection apart good luck

The shifting drum broke I'm my 09 too that's a lot of work for such a cheap part lol when I put mine back together mine was starting hard and that ended up being the ground that hooks to the bottom of the right radiator two grounds meet right there and one of mine was almost all the way broke but couldn't tell unless you took the connection apart good luck

okay, gotta check that ground then. thanks, i'llcome back when i find the problem..

okay, so i had a look on that ground and both of them seemed to be properly fixed to the chassis.

the bike was used when i bought it and has some kind of box with a wheel on it that i believe you can adjust rev limiter or something like that on.

however it connects to some kind of sensor in the airbox and some other sensor around the fuel injection.

the connector to the air box sensor had come apart so i put it back and tried to start it a couple of times without any result.

loosen'd the sparkplug and tried to take a compression test just to find out that the compression tester i got didnt fit cause of threads for bigger sparkplugs.

however when i loosen'd the spark plug i noticed that it was dry as an desert so it might be something with the fuel supply..

gonna do another try here anyday soon, the last ride of this season is coming up anytime here in northern sweden and with only maybe 1hour on the bike this summer im hungry for another ride, especially since they opened a new track pretty close from my home :)

so i took the fuelinjection apart yesterday but as far as i could see it was not dirty or so.

had some friend to me say that the only way to be sure the injector is cleaned is to leave it for a company close by who performs ultra sound cleaning.

but what makes me thoughtful is that it compress lots thru the crankcase ventilation, but i dont know if its morr ot less than normal, but anyways..

Hi, I have a 2010 CRF450R, has been a great bike have never had any issues with it since I have owned it. 

I was riding at my local track yesterday was on my 4th practice moto and was going thru a rhythm section into a nice bowl turn, I came in a gear to high and when I was going through the corner and exiting it, the engine bogged down like a carb'd bike, I have never experienced this on an EFI bike before, I down shifted to 1st and rode the next section out, when I came to the end of the section I pulled in my clutch lever and the bike died.  I have not been able to restart it since.  Tried kicking, rolling down hill, push bump start nothing.  I pushed it back to the pits, there was alot of oil from my breather hose off the cylinder head cover (I removed the cap so it can drain freely) I did the mod where I capped the Y going into the air box and it all drains out behind the case.  So thought that was strange that it was blowing oil out it.  I can only think of 2 explanations for that, 1. I switched oil from Honda full synthetic to Lucas Oil Partial synthetic (which I don't think is the case) or 2. I over filled the engine oil when I changed it right before this ride.  I am almost positive it is an electrical issue, when I kick the bike the light on the kill switch does not light up.  When I kick it the bike will pop and burbled like it wants to start but nothing happens.  I just did a valve clearance check 2 rides ago everything was in spec.  A couple people at the track had me check my engine oil to see if gas had leaked into it but it looked clean and fine.  The PO swapped the fuel pump from the stock 10' to a 12'.

Its weird to me that it has working fine all day then it just dies, has any one experienced this on their bike?  Does any one of suggestions as to where the first place I should start looking is?

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Thanks Geoff

With the exception of the oil coming out the breather hose, this sounds exactly like what my 09 was doing before it died. Rode all day at the track then all of a sudden it bogged a few times and popped then died. Could not get it re-started. Tried and checked everything, even took the fuel pump out put it in a ration rite cup of gasoline with a new fuel filter and hooked it up to a 9V battery and it looked like it pumped fine. Ended up putting my buddies pump and tank on my bike and it fired right up. I guess the fuel pump wasnt building enough pressure to get through the injector. I have always heard that either a fuel pump runs, or it doesn't. Well I can tell you from personal experience thats not the case. But since yours was spitting out oil from the breather I wouldnt think that has anything to do with the pump. How many hours are the bike and top end?

So i found the issue on my bike.

Took apart the head and found out that one half of the valve cotter had come loose and the other part had gone twisted like vertically causing the valve not to close tight.

further i found out that valve guide had a crack in it on the downside which has probably fallen down straight down into the cylinder causing bad marks on both piston head and combustion chamber.

so i have my winters work sorted out :D

sincerely 

Never heard of a guide breaking, but there's a first for everything, thats a minor easy fix.

Just be sure to locate the missing cotter. Its probably down in the flywheel area in the screen. Or fish around in the oil sump with a magnet. 

If your lucky its sitting up on top of the head in the valve spring area.

Never heard of a guide breaking, but there's a first for everything, thats a minor easy fix.

Just be sure to locate the missing cotter. Its probably down in the flywheel area in the screen. Or fish around in the oil sump with a magnet. 

I have, but it was on an exhaust side on an engine that had been over revved and the valves floated, kissed the piston and bang zoom pop goes the weasel. 

For what its worth, if the capacitor takes a dump, the CkP goes bad, you wont get spark. 

yeah i found it, it was on top of the head were the cam is.

so i just have to order some parts and get back to wrenching :)