Sign in to follow this  

air filter not sealing as good as it should?

got back from a 200 mile baja ride and after washing the XR650R and takin the airfilter off to wash it, it noticed sand in my air box !!! i put grease along the edge of the filter !! where did i go wrong? any tips or tricks you guys can give me , i got a uni filter and running the stock backfire screen

Edited by rangerclass7sx

Ive taken old inner tubes and cut strips and epoxied them around the inside edges. Seals up better. Puts a little tension so everything holds together tight...

Also the breather tube could use a little pod filter...

Backyard mechanic status but will get through baja no problem

Good thinking Eric,,sand gets everywhere..no stopping the crud. Could even do with the foot end part of womens pantyhose leg cut then stretched over that breather hole on top of the airbox held on with your rubber band made from an old inner tube..more diy....Silks have a lot more uses than just making womens legs look good..Filters become obsolete with ladies hose and inner tube rubberbands..LoL

Edited by Horri

Ive taken old inner tubes and cut strips and epoxied them around the inside edges. Seals up better. Puts a little tension so everything holds together tight...

Also the breather tube could use a little pod filter...

Backyard mechanic status but will get through baja no problem

you epoxied old innertubes around the inside edges of what? do you mean the sidecover edges ?

i used to run my xr500r on the beach alot, found that filters had to be serviced 10x more often, the sand basicly dries out the filter oil, then gets drawn through the filter, on a rebuild id see the top portion of the pistons sides, above top ring was sandblasted in appearence

Yes sir. Left side cover. Old plastics maybe lost rigity a bit. If you think sands getting in under the seat you can cut an old piece of filter off and cover the hole shouldn't need to but im bettin you desnorkled

under the seat there isnt a snorkel there is one or two holes with some rubber caps, theyre still on.. the only thing i removed is the bottom snorkel from the side cover and it seems like the sand might of come in through that corner... but the way the backfire sits in there and the way the airfilter sits in there just doesnt inspire me any confidence anymore, kinda crappy...

Edited by rangerclass7sx

Youre talking about a rubberish tube that is clamped on the box with a pinched end that isnt fully sealed but stays fairly closed? So now its alittle plastic nipple on the box thats always open? That could be it...the snorkle is only that rubber part on the top in the rectangle.Everything else might benecessary.

Horri, nice move with thepantyhose! I missed that post before!

Hey ranger, is it an L?

I decked mine out for street and i took it to Ocotillo wells and sand got in and i only had 1/4 throttle. I had to buy an $8 can of carb spray and it didnt clear it. So i boiled the carb over the campfire in plain water. Rinsed with gas. And put hondabond and inner tube strips around my sidecover and problem was solved

Youre talking about a rubberish tube that is clamped on the box with a pinched end that isnt fully sealed but stays fairly closed? So now its alittle plastic nipple on the box thats always open? That could be it...the snorkle is only that rubber part on the top in the rectangle.Everything else might benecessary.

Horri, nice move with thepantyhose! I missed that post before!

Hey ranger, is it an L?

I decked mine out for street and i took it to Ocotillo wells and sand got in and i only had 1/4 throttle. I had to buy an $8 can of carb spray and it didnt clear it. So i boiled the carb over the campfire in plain water. Rinsed with gas. And put hondabond and inner tube strips around my sidecover and problem was solved

wups i forgot to specify its a R