Sign in to follow this  

1990 DR250 tranny problems

When shifting the bike the shifter would get stuck in that position. For example if shifting from second to third the shifter would stay stuck up in the air and not return to its neutral position (not neutral gear, just the shifter to its natural neutral resting position parallel to the ground). Sometimes the bike would not shift at all and stay in second gear, either way the shifter would stick. This happened for every gear change in either direction. Sometimes it shifted normal but 90% of the time it stuck.

Now my first guess was that the splines wore off the shifter but that wasn't it. So i pulled the motor out, I did not split the case but I did pull the side covers off. When I did this a bolt that goes into the shifter tumbler on the clutch side fell out without even touching it. There is my problem... but wait there's more! I can manually shift my bike on the work bench with that bolt out but, with it in, the shifter wont budge a millimeter and no shifting happens.

The bolt also does not seem to thread all the way in (2-3 turns short of all the way in) as if there should be a washer around it to keep it from going all the way in and preventing the bike from shifting. I carefully examined the manual for a washer or piece that would do that and none of the diagrams have a part like that? I cannot find anything else that has fallen off in my case, I can see clearly in every crevase.

What is going on here? With the bolt out i can shift the bike, with it in (well threaded as far as i can) it will not shift. Fyi the tranny was in neutral while trying to install that bolt.  The bolt definitly goes there also because with it out the pieces that attach to the tumbler are very loose.