Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400SM conversion from Miles to Kilometres?

Hi all, just bought a DRZ and realised that it's reading in miles instead of kilometres (that aint how it works here!). I've had a quick squizz through the forum and noticed many people wanting to convert from miles to kilometres and there being some kind of cable for that (??) but what can I do if I want to have it convert from miles to kilometres? The speedometer isn't the issue, because you can change that to read in mph or kph. It's the odometer and trip meter that is the issue as I recently discovered running out of fuel in the middle of nowhere.. Any ideas if I can do anything?

I've never switched it to kilometers...are you saying that once that is done the trip odometer still reads miles and not klicks? If that's the case look for reserve at about 110 miles. 

IMG-5.jpg

In the left column it shows how to change the readout , I am not sure but I think we all have the euro model , greg

• Like 1

I've never switched it to kilometers...are you saying that once that is done the trip odometer still reads miles and not klicks? If that's the case look for reserve at about 110 miles. 

Yea you can choose to have the speedometer read in either kph or mph. However, my odometer / trip meter will only read in miles. Pretty annoying.

In the left column it shows how to change the readout , I am not sure but I think we all have the euro model , greg

Thanks for scanning that and sending it through. Unfortunately it only describes what I mentioned in response above. It changes the speedometer from mph to kph or vice versa, doesn't affect the odometer / trip meter annoyingly.

You could just fit a Vapor Instrument.....http://www.trailtech.net/75-301.html

The std vapor mount is rubbish...Here would be a good alternative..http://www.a-lmotorsports.com/Products/13-suzuki-drz-vapor-mount.aspx

Thanks, I will take a look at those links shortly!

Edited by drz400sm_NZ

The Vapor unit has a tech , which is handy .

It's good value for money

tech =  tach , as in tachometer.... :)

Ahh I see, so I would need to replace the whole unit that I have in there atm?

yes...out with old , in with the new... :D

Installing a speedo drive eliminator enables removal of the speedo drive (as the name suggests)..http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Suzuki-DRZ400-Speedo-Drive-Eliminator-Spacer-DRZ-400-KLX400-KLX-400-B-B-B-B-/261183913919?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ccfc63fbf&_uhb=1

Edited by Craigo 485sm

tech =  tach , as in tachometer.... :)

yes...out with old , in with the new... :D

Ahh I see... perhaps I should just toughen up then? Anyway sorry whomever said I should get 110 miles is that BEFORE I start using the reserve?? Also my exhaust is not stock, will this make a difference?

Ahh I see... perhaps I should just toughen up then? Anyway sorry whomever said I should get 110 miles is that BEFORE I start using the reserve?? Also my exhaust is not stock, will this make a difference?

That's my average mileage where I must switch to reserve...between 105 & 115 miles on a stock tank, Pingle petcock, stock exhaust & jetted. After I hit reserve I might make it 10 miles if I stop and lean it over to get the rest of the fuel to the left side of the tank. I always fill to the tip top of the tank neck too. When the money tree blooms again I'm getting a IMS 3.2..............

That's my average mileage where I must switch to reserve...between 105 & 115 miles on a stock tank, Pingle petcock, stock exhaust & jetted. After I hit reserve I might make it 10 miles if I stop and lean it over to get the rest of the fuel to the left side of the tank. I always fill to the tip top of the tank neck too. When the money tree blooms again I'm getting a IMS 3.2..............

Excuse my ignorance, do you have a link to the tank you are referring to? Is it plastic?

Excuse my ignorance, do you have a link to the tank you are referring to? Is it plastic?

http://justgastanks.com/product_info.php?products_id=264

The bike below is fitted with the IMS 3.2 gal plastic tank....It's translucent to enable quick fuel level checks

DSC02471.jpg

Edited by Craigo 485sm

Yep, that is the exact tank/color I want....................then I want to switch the blue plastics for "yaller".

Does the madness never end?

• Like 1