Sign in to follow this  

Should i go down a tooth on the front sprocket?

I was just wondering what you guys think about going one tooth down on the front sprocket of my xr100r (my stock sprocket is wearing out) I know it will take away some top speed but it will increase acceleration.

Yes. Acceleration will increase. Not sure how much difference you will notice.

I'd say no, on flat/packed dirt your engine will be way over-revved at WOT. Stick with the 15/50 ratio, this works best all around.

Acceleration would increase but it really doesn't matter. In reality you will just have to shift at a slightly lower speed (probably about 4-5 MPH sooner).

It is not possible to get faster acceleration because the engine can only make a certain amount of power. A lower gear ratio will only make starting from a dead stop a tiny bit faster, and you will run out of gears at top speed.

-Sorry to reply to an old thread

I'd say no, on flat/packed dirt your engine will be way over-revved at WOT. Stick with the 15/50 ratio, this works best all around.

Acceleration would increase but it really doesn't matter. In reality you will just have to shift at a slightly lower speed (probably about 4-5 MPH sooner).

It is not possible to get faster acceleration because the engine can only make a certain amount of power. A lower gear ratio will only make starting from a dead stop a tiny bit faster, and you will run out of gears at top speed.

-Sorry to reply to an old thread

In addition one tooth smaller on the counter shaft lowers the overall gears about 1/3 to 1/2 a gear. So, in addition to better acceleration, you also  get better throttle response in each gear, along with less top speed in each gear.  A 15 to 14 is about 7%.

On larger engines sometimes a larger counter shaft sprocket can be used to reduce throttle response in first gear for technical riding.

Each bike is different, each riding terrain is different, and each rider is different; so go ahead and try a smaller sprocket and see how you like it for your riding situation.

On a side note: IMO

If your front sprocket is shot, then your chain is shot also.

It takes HP away from the rear wheel to force worn chain and sprockets turn it.

So new front sprocket and chain, but what condition is your rear sprocket in?

Any worn sprockets will ruin a new chain very quickly.

New chain and sprockets may return all the lost power that you have been missing?

You may not need to go down a tooth in front and loose any top speed with new parts.

I'm just saying....

On a side note: IMO

If your front sprocket is shot, then your chain is shot also.

It takes HP away from the rear wheel to force worn chain and sprockets turn it.

So new front sprocket and chain, but what condition is your rear sprocket in?

Any worn sprockets will ruin a new chain very quickly.

New chain and sprockets may return all the lost power that you have been missing?

You may not need to go down a tooth in front and loose any top speed with new parts.

I'm just saying....

Good points on the chain wear.  I run aluminum rear sprocket which wear at about the same rate as steel front sprockets.

Anyway I suggest checking chain wear if you are changing sprockets. For long chain life a ring chain just outlasts a non ring chain by years, making them cheaper than using non ring chains.  I've put ring chains on all of my bikes and at one year intervals they may, or may not, need adjustment.

Edited by Chuck.

I wouldn't because you'd be revved too high and you'd have to up shift a lot until you get into fifth then you'd be bouncing off the rev limiter