Sign in to follow this  

GOLD Chain tarnished

Ok.  Purchased a new 13 kx250f.  Replaced chain with GOLD protaper.  Looked great initially but after a few rides its no longer GOLD.

Also put a new sunstar GOLD chain on my sons bike a month ago and its same way.  Looks tarnished no rust?

Is there any way to bring back that bright new GOLD chain look?  If so whats the secret?

Dont ride your bike!

I already ride like a girl.....actually alot of girls smoke me!!

Bling brand chain lube ?

LOL....was a serious question.

If its not an o ring chain you can try cleaning it in some diesel I did that with mine and it looked brand new!

WD-40 after every ride keeps it looking new. Maybe you can use that to clean it?

If its not an o ring chain you can try cleaning it in some diesel I did that with mine and it looked brand new!

Will give it a try.  

WD-40 after every ride keeps it looking new. Maybe you can use that to clean it?

I used simple green to clean bikes each weekend and then air compressor and WD40.  Still tarnished?  Only have maybe 5 rides on it.  Its a $80 chain so its not a cheap one?

The problem is all that chain wax that comes on it holds all the dirt. The gold isnt tarnished, its actually rubbed off the links. The easiest way to prevent this is to clean all the sticky chain wax off the chain when you get it before running it. It will still wear at the tops and bottoms of the plates over time as it is a chain thats going to run over dirt in the slides its entire life.

I used simple green to clean bikes each weekend and then air compressor and WD40.  Still tarnished?  Only have maybe 5 rides on it.  Its a $80 chain so its not a cheap one?

That's the problem I'm afraid. Simple green is very strong stuff and very corrosive to steel. If you use it to clean metal, especially steel, it has to be rinsed off thoroughly. I wold not use it on a chain at all. Just my $0.02.

Great minds think a like. I use o-ring chains on all my bikes and after each wash I dose them in Water Displacement Formula 40. I always use RK chains and the gold seems to look good for a very long time with the above mentioned treatment. Just make sure to wipe all the crude off after hitting it with WD-40 and never directly hit it with the pressure washer that ruins the o-ring seal.

Great minds think a like. I use o-ring chains on all my bikes and after each wash I dose them in Water Displacement Formula 40. I always use RK chains and the gold seems to look good for a very long time with the above mentioned treatment. Just make sure to wipe all the crude off after hitting it with WD-40 and never directly hit it with the pressure washer that ruins the o-ring seal.

Yup and never a problem. Chain and sprockets last a long time (all season so far and 1 small adjustment). Still shiny gold and well within spec.