Sign in to follow this  

California San Diego visit - non-riding

We are heading down to San Diego to see if we would like to live in the Escondido area or other San Diego areas.

My wife likes the beach, so we will spend a day or two there.   The rest of the week will be checking out the area.

Not interest in:

Legoland, Sea World, amusement parks, etc.

Baja (another time maybe.   I've driven to the tip before.)

Dirt bikes are staying at home.

Looking for:

Good hotel in the $125 range.

Decent neighborhoods in the $450k range.

Areas where Tech jobs are hot (I am in Software Quality Assurance.)

Nice beaches, lakes, hills, natural wonders, parks, etc.

Recommendations appreciated.

I'm a lifetime NorCal person.   Bay Area and Lake Tahoe.   Not sure I would do well in really hot weather.

We are driving, so a side trip on the way down or back is possible.   I've seen, LA,  Yosemite and Las Vegas.  ;)

Thanks

Kevin

Edited by Kev_XR

Kev_XR,

You helped out me out before with some XR issues here years ago and it's my turn to return the favor.  I've been in SD County for about 25 years now and can speak about the places I've lived down here (otherwise, I'm not native to S.D.)  We can take this offline (PM me) but I can throw some advice your way regarding neighborhoods and maybe something in the tech job industry (former E.E. type but went into gov't service).  I live just south of Escondido (it's hot here) and there is a humid heat wave at the moment.  Be forewarned: cost of living is expensive here and depending from where in NorCal you are from, there may or may not be some sticker shock on real estate prices.

On your beach pleasure portion of the trip drive along the shoreline in La Jolla.

On your beach pleasure portion of the trip drive along the shoreline in La Jolla.

I think they charge to do that!

Stay in La Jolla at the Hilton by torry pines golf course . Palomar is close but Big bear or silver wood lake for water and recreation, for a house you can a huge one north of Escondido where I live in temecula/Murrieta area. Honestly I would not move to Escondio/lil Mexico.

Stay in La Jolla at the Hilton by torry pines golf course . Palomar is close but Big bear or silver wood lake for water and recreation, for a house you can a huge one north of Escondido where I live in temecula/Murrieta area. Honestly I would not move to Escondio/lil Mexico.

Interesting.   My wife has been researching Escondido and thinks its more of an Orange County environment.... marketing.   That is why we are going check out the area for a few days and look at enjoy the beach.

Kev_XR,

You helped out me out before with some XR issues here years ago and it's my turn to return the favor.  I've been in SD County for about 25 years now and can speak about the places I've lived down here (otherwise, I'm not native to S.D.)  We can take this offline (PM me) but I can throw some advice your way regarding neighborhoods and maybe something in the tech job industry (former E.E. type but went into gov't service).  I live just south of Escondido (it's hot here) and there is a humid heat wave at the moment.  Be forewarned: cost of living is expensive here and depending from where in NorCal you are from, there may or may not be some sticker shock on real estate prices.

How about Mira Mesa?  I spent a year down there renting an apartment while working for a company that moved down there. traffic during rush hour could be killer though  

basic decent hotels in the mission valley to use as a staging point.

---

Even though most in SD think of the South Bay as "North Tijuana",  I live in Bonita and it is really nice (east side of the 805).  Horse trails, big park, pond and reservoir, bunch of golf courses, mountain biking, walking and jogging trails, olympic training center nearby, world class bass fishing, and only 15-20 minutes or so from downtown.

Southbay can be a bit of a drive if working north county though. And access to/from Eastlake to the north sucks.   - PM if you want a drive through the area.

====

Bunch of different neighborhoods in SD, all with a different vibe to it. From East county country to high rise downtown, to pretty much anything else in between.  I guess biggest issues would be if you have to be concerned with schools for rugrats or its just you and the wife.

good luck

Interesting.   My wife has been researching Escondido and thinks its more of an Orange County environment.... marketing.   That is why we are going check out the area for a few days and look at enjoy the beach.

That would be more like Rancho Bernardo or Poway. Escondido is more of a Santa Cruz, Watsonville, Monterey type place. Kind grungie, with some pretty sketchy areas.

I would only consider (Bay Area native) living the following North SD areas...Rancho Bernardo, Poway, San Marcos, Mira Mesa.

Not Orange county in the least....older neighborhoods in general and the primary language is Spanish. I doubt your going to be impressed.

The above posts are closer to your ideology. 

• Like 1

I factor in the commute to wherever I have to drive twice a day.  Where would that be to?  I only work 3 miles from my house.  Saves on sanity and gas

• Like 1

Currently unemployed, so I would be looking for a job in the High Tech industry.

Thinking about selling our house in the Bay Area and downsizing to the San Diego area.

I've surfed down that way, solana beach/Cardiff/Encinitas/Carlsbad. The shore areas seem nice, I'm not sure about inland though.

Looking at staying in Salono Beach.

Any comments on the area?

Wife and I go there occasionally to walk the dog and beat the inland heat.  It's an OK place...wish I could afford to live there.  Lots of shops and restaurants that continue into the City of Del Mar to the south.  Heading north from there you'll go into Encinitas - a bigger beach city and "younger" crowd.  I like these areas for the restaurant scene too but as far as relocating, out of my price range.

• Like 1

marin?? ferraris are cheap too you then  ;)  i came from sacramento so i was shocked  :jawdrop:

I don't like Ferraris in that if I hit one, my insurance wouldn't cover it.

True story... When I was living in Squaw Valley, my mother told me it was time to stop being a ski instructor.   Skiing is for rich people.   I say, "But mom, someone needs to teach the rich people how to ski."   I look out the window.   There is a Ferrari parked across the street and a white Rolls Royce is driving by the house.   Talk about "signs".   I think my mom planned it.