So I Cleaned My Filter Today

I cleaned my air filter on my 13 sx.  No big deal, I've cleaned it quite a few times in the last few months.  I stuck it on the back of the shop fan to dry it out.  I soaked it really well and put it back on the filter cage.

So I can't find the wing bolt that holds it inside the airbox.  After about a 15 minute thorough search, I realized, there is no wing nut.

Of course I know this, but after owning Hondas for the last 10 years, I still have some left over programming. 

I then took a quick look around to see if anybody was watching my blank grey matter in action. :goofy:

Edited by WALKINGWOUNDED

Ha ha ! Good stuff , I was a crf450r owner for 9 years and allways second guessed , would run my finger around the grease seal after I put it in the airbox getting air filter oil all over my hands and for-arm each time. Mt new xc-w 300 is a dream come true at the air box ! The cage won't let you miss align ! Love it !

I cleaned my air filter on my 13 sx.  No big deal, I've cleaned it quite a few times in the last few months.  I stuck it on the back of the shop fan to dry it out.  I soaked it really well and put it back on the filter cage.

So I can't find the wing bolt that holds it inside the airbox.  After about a 15 minute thorough search, I realized, there is no wing nut.

Of course I know this, but after owning Hondas for the last 10 years, I still have some left over programming. 

I then took a quick look around to see if anybody was watching my blank grey matter in action. :goofy:

Do you not clean the filter every ride??? haha. I've been down that road though. I thought I dropped mine the other day..

Do you not clean the filter every ride??? haha. I've been down that road though. I thought I dropped mine the other day..

It's cleaned after every outing...........but some days the lights are on and nobody's home.

Edited by WALKINGWOUNDED

I personally HATE that flimsy spring setup ... Cannot see ANY advantage whatsoever, other than it saves what .. a few SECONDS when changing ?  

Most riders I know do not even service their air filters as often as they should anyway, so time savings (a few seconds maximum) in this area is a non factor.

Now the stock CRF450's is nothing to write home about (its awkward and cramped), however it NEVER leaks water inside, does not let dirt accumulate on the bottom of the air fillet, and lastly, with a TwinAir billet fitter cage, its easier and faster (or as fast) as that flimsy arm.  The best part is I never ONCE thought my filter was not sealed properly with the billet cage setup.   

On my KTM I have to check over and over to make sure its seated properly, which in essence ADDS more time to the whole change process.  Essentially negates any "few seconds" of time savings from the flimsy arm.

I don't understand why people rave about this ... its really not that impressive, and there have been MANY instances of KTM filter cages not been seated properly via this setup (operator error .. not design).  Brembo brakes .. SURE rave on ! ... flimsy air filter arm ... not so much. ?

I am by no means saying the design does not work ... it does ... my point is that its NOT the engineering masterpiece people make it out to be. :ride:

Edited by supervokes

When I first got my sx, I did hoot and holler about the air filter setup.  Mostly because it was differrent than my cr's, and it was a new bike.  But yes, it's not that much of a time savings, and even though I can feel it drop into the "d" and set in place, I still run my fingers around the perimiter just to make sure.  I think it was not pulling the seat that made me rave.

Ahh yes, the front brakes.

• Like 1

Has anyone ran the Uni in the XC ? Care to share the filtration benifits vs. the Twin air. I really liked uni filters, they seemed to be a little thicker than the twin air. And how much heavier are the aluminum cages vs, flimsy plastic stock cages ? The only benifit i can see with stock it perhaps its lighter . I can see that deep water crossings might go bad with this airbox design thats it , the rest of the design i like. Thanks

Edited by Rearwheelin

I personally HATE that flimsy spring setup ... Cannot see ANY advantage whatsoever, other than it saves what .. a few SECONDS when changing ?  

Most riders I know do not even service their air filters as often as they should anyway, so time savings (a few seconds maximum) in this area is a non factor.

Now the stock CRF450's is nothing to write home about (its awkward and cramped), however it NEVER leaks water inside, does not let dirt accumulate on the bottom of the air fillet, and lastly, with a TwinAir billet fitter cage, its easier and faster (or as fast) as that flimsy arm.  The best part is I never ONCE thought my filter was not sealed properly with the billet cage setup.   

On my KTM I have to check over and over to make sure its seated properly, which in essence ADDS more time to the whole change process.  Essentially negates any "few seconds" of time savings from the flimsy arm.

I don't understand why people rave about this ... its really not that impressive, and there have been MANY instances of KTM filter cages not been seated properly via this setup (operator error .. not design).  Brembo brakes .. SURE rave on ! ... flimsy air filter arm ... not so much. ?

I am by no means saying the design does not work ... it does ... my point is that its NOT the engineering masterpiece people make it out to be. :ride:

I don't think is for quick servicing but more for making sure the screw doesn't fall out. I've actually seen the filter/cage at the bottom of an air box after a race. My buddy started running Loctite on that screw after that problem. But I've only seen that once. As far as seating the filter. I haven't had a problem lately since I now always wear latex gloves when installing. I rock that sucker till it feels really seated. The first few times was iffy but now its pretty easy.