Sign in to follow this  

What makes of bikes do you see on the trail?

I live in Newcastle, Australia, and there is no preferred bike where I ride, we have yamaha's, ktm's, Hondas, Husky's, Suzuki's, all evenly spread out in terms of most common, hell, we even have postie bikes doing huge jumps here, aswell as a heck of a lot of thumpstars!

They are gaining popularity. Less ktms at motocross tracks than the trails. If you want a two stroke offroad or trail bike they have a niche. Owners tend to be loyal.They use to be notorious for parts falling off. Are they better now?

G'day, I live in Sydney Australia, & ride mostly about 2 hrs north or west from where I live, I know there are many flavours of bikes available in Sydney & surrounding areas, all dealers are covered, but it's just orange or blue with a very light smattering of the rest, I've always noticed this, it's weird huh! ROOSTA out.

Quads... Never really run into to many bikes. The group I run with at the cabin consists of 2 cr250's, 1 xr400, 1 yz250 and one guy has a ktm 200sx and 400xcw. 

They are gaining popularity. Less ktms at motocross tracks than the trails. If you want a two stroke offroad or trail bike they have a niche. Owners tend to be loyal.They use to be notorious for parts falling off. Are they better now?

I wouldn't call it a niche.  There's essentially 2 major kinds of riding for off-road bikes: Motocross and Off-road, each of those having racing and recreational versions.  KTM dominates the market in many different kinds of off-road racing, harescrambles, enduros, extreme off-road races, and of course recreational trail riding.  When you include motocross outside of the US (in Europe for example) KTM also is a regular winner in those series as well.  They also are a major player in US motocross, indoor and outdoor.

IMO, what I think speaks well of a bike/mfr is what guys race that ride and maintain their own machines (not supported by any factory).  This is the final results from the 2012 Texas State Championship enduro circuit.  Everyday Joes just racing and riding their own stuff.

TSCEC_2012_zpsc41de384.png

• Like 2

Couple yami, couple hondas, couple ktm, one other kawie one zuk and one husaberg. Montesa and gasgas trials bikes. And every blue moon, some old dudes on ktm and bmw adventure bikes

Edited by islandlife

Mostly Hondas. Second is KTM. Third is Yamaha. Forth is Kawasaki and last would be Suzuki's. Every great once in a while you will see a Husaberg and Husqvarna. 

Edited by D-rek07

I've had a KTM for 3 years now and it's been a great bike.  Other loyal KTM riders are very sold on the brand, but I have met some guys in the offroad racing circuits who sold their KTMs because of reliability issues.  Hell--one poor guy in a race had his KTM's triple tree break on him!  No joke, his steering stem let go and his frame was connected to the forks and handlebars only by the throttle cable. 

You'll find these things happening sometimes, but my perspective is that you shouldn't make a decision based on an anomoly.  This is not normal for the steering stem to break on a KTM, they are solid bikes that a lotta guys can ride fast.