Sign in to follow this  

Thinking of maybe a 13/14 350sx-f

Well would love to hear from guys that have the 13 and newer 350sx-f.  I am a 45yr old guy that has been off the bike for a few years...my last bike was an 09 CRF450 with the full RG3 treatment.  Anyway, didnt get to ride as much as I wanted and ended up selling it.  So, i kinda got the itch to give it another go and the KTM's have caught my eye.  Here's the rub...I am only 5'5" and 170lbs (will be back to 160lb soon though...lol!) and am a little worried about the damn height of the freakin bike for starters!  I'm talkin bout riding practice tracks mostly so it aint that big of a deal....but the honda was a sold 2" lower than the KTM so it was not a biggy...although it really is nicer to be able to put your foot down at times!  I have thought about maybe giving a Hare Scramble a go but the woods thing and my height just not as much fun.  But who know's.

So aside from the WP issues I keep reading about....if anybody has anything to offer either pro or con bout the 350 I am all ears.  I could also go 450 but thinking that prob be able to ride the 350 longer and have more fun.  The E-Start, Hydo clutch, brakes, and overall build quality really do have my interest this time around......but its a tall ass bike!  Lol!  Plus it's $$$!  

Anyway.....I'm all ears.  I still have the RMZ and CRF on the list, but leaning orange at this point!

PaulP

I have an 11 350 and I'm not sure how accurate the statement about it being 2" taller than a Honda is. Although I don't know for certain but I owned a 12 crf 450 and I could swear both bikes are about the same height

I went with the 13 350sxf ride/race all mx dropped down from the yz450 was great decision Im 43 an wasnt making use of the 450 motor sure its nice to have the grunt an extra mid power but my corner speed is much better now actually holding it on longer and revving that motor out..Really fun bike to ride and feels so much lighter than a 450 even though on the scale it isnt much lighter but the inertia of the smaller motor makes it feel lighter..I just added a ride engineering  lowering link and RE triple clamp with a hps dampner bike sits lower and stays planted.. It is the tallest bike out of them all but shaving the seat and a lowering link will help abit..

The 450SX-F is the tallest bike around?  I beg to differ... it seems to be the smallest feeling bike I ever rode.  The YZ/KX/CR's I rode feel miles taller than the SXF.  I would love to see some numbers to prove seat height for this issue.

Everytime I have checked out a KTM in a dealer they are always taller with the exception of the latest YZ’s which just doesn’t interest me at this point. Seat height is not really a criteria that one should consider when selecting a MOTOCROSS bike, but at this stage in the game it does become a “factor” on certain levels. However, despite the height I am still very intrigued with the KTM’s at this point. But stock, I think the CRF and RMZ would probably a bit more comfortable as far as seat height goes and always got on great with the ergo’s of the Honda’s in general. But we all make changes to our bikes to suit our person needs so I am not gonna get too hung up on it, but would be nice to be able to go ride the thing stock for a little bit (whatever I end up with) before I “have to” start with the mods. I tried to copy links for comparison so you can see the actual specs. The KTM also has more ground clearance than the crf and rmz….

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/BuyersCompare.aspx?S=27337,27333,27341,27418,27306,27279

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/BuyersCompare.aspx?S=27341,27418,27306,27279

I'm 5'6" and 160 and just sold my 350 for a dungey bike. I've been on the new bike for a month now. I have to admit that for pure fun - track riding only, the 350 has the edge. If you race, the 350 is a little tougher to recover from mistakes - you need to ride it perfectly. Your size won't be an issue at the track. I'd go for it. I put 120 hrs on my 2012 with no engine issues and I took great delight in screaming that thing.

Thanks Moabrules1.....hat is helpful.  I was actually all set to go pick up a "13 350sx-f yesterday locally cause I couldnt get there on Thursday.  Well when I got there yesterday the bike was sold!  Grrrr....they do have a 13 450 sitting there (as well as a Dungy FE) and a 14 350.  But of course kinda have my mind made up on the 350 at this point.  But, another 450 (last bike was 09 CRF450) did cross my mind cause it was sitting there.  Gonna do a little more shopping around today.....there is a significant price difference between the 13 and 14 for sure.

Well decisions made...gonna go for a 14 350sx-f!  Found a deal that is gonna work for me.....so we shall see!  The price difference isn't as significant as I initially thought and even though I'm not sure the 2014 "refinement" will make that much of a difference in performance (at least to my old ass!)  it still makes sense to me as it is simply the latest model.  The idea of a 450 is still sorta hanging over my head but I really am intrigued with the idea of the 350.  The 13/14 seem to have a lot more juice on tap than the 11/12 from what I have been able to determine (not having riden any of them) so I spose we will see!  

i just bought a 350 it is absolutely amazing. i had a 2012 kx450 before and this is extemely comparable motor wise, but handles like a go-cart! anywere you put the front end it goes! I race B class.

Blurrnaway I am glad you are digging the new ride!  Did you get a 13 or 14 model?  And of course I have to ask......how are you getting along with the suspension as it seems to be the one major recurring issue I hear about regarding the late model KTM's?  I am looking at pulling the trigger on a 350 soon.......although every now and than the 450 starts to creep back into the equation.  

PaulP

Blurrnaway I am glad you are digging the new ride!  Did you get a 13 or 14 model?  And of course I have to ask......how are you getting along with the suspension as it seems to be the one major recurring issue I hear about regarding the late model KTM's?  I am looking at pulling the trigger on a 350 soon.......although every now and than the 450 starts to creep back into the equation.  

PaulP

I bought a 2014. I put the suspension to the sport settings and then tuned it while at a local track to my liking. I weigh 200lbs with gear and its great. the motor literally revs to the moon! it dives right into corners without feeling like the front end will wash or give out or stand you up, It tracks very nicely over big bumps and small bumps. 

I absolutely love the bike and think everyone should have or try one.

Edited by Blurrnaway

Not getting any of the harshness or bottoming that has been reported AD nauseam?

Not getting any of the harshness or bottoming that has been reported AD nauseam?

Nope, Bike is solid, If someone is getting that then they need to either bring there bike to have a professional that does suspension go test it with them, Or start from scratch settings and make clicks as they go to there liking. 

The suspension is awesome and works with the bike very nicely, Go for it man you will not be disappointed! 

I got a 13 XC-F. Slightly different but not much. Suspesion will beat you until it breaks in. I mean jackhammer WTF then after about 6 hours it starts getting nice and now I love the suspension. It did need to break in though. My only complaint is the side number plates. I race in different venues so I have to have different color plates. I solved this problem by making my 350 XC-F my track only bike and racing my 09 YZ in the hare scrambles. Why they made the side plates one piece and so hard to change is beyond me. Great bike otherwise.

I am 5'6" 170lbs and ride the 13'FE 450.   I have a step seat on it and the bike does not feel big at all.  I ride MX practice tracks only.  The power on the new FI bike is so smooth that it does not feel tiring like my prior 2012 sxf 450.  I have not ridden a 350 but I would not be afraid of he 450 tiring you out.  I would lean towards the 14' 450 over a 13' due to the upgraded FI mapping and cases.  The bike is nothing short of amazing.  I did have my suspension done by Factory Connection.

I am 5'6" 170lbs and ride the 13'FE 450.   I have a step seat on it and the bike does not feel big at all.  I ride MX practice tracks only.  The power on the new FI bike is so smooth that it does not feel tiring like my prior 2012 sxf 450.  I have not ridden a 350 but I would not be afraid of he 450 tiring you out.  I would lean towards the 14' 450 over a 13' due to the upgraded FI mapping and cases.  The bike is nothing short of amazing.  I did have my suspension done by Factory Connection. You really need to ride a 350 to judge it. I find for my ability it is better than a 450. The big difference is cornering and just a little softer power delivery off idle. You do have to remember to let her rev once you get going. If you do the bike can hang with a 450. Most guy's I ride with ride 450's and are used to short shifting. When they jump on the 350 they still short shift and loose the magic of this bike. It does make 450 power just higher in the rpm range. I have ridden 450's back to back with my 350 and feel they do tire me a bit more. They are much better than the old 450's but I will stick with the 350. It clears jumps much easier than a 250F and corners better than a 450. Just my opinion. You will find everyone has one.

PaulP,

I rode last week on a hardpack track both a '13 350 and a 450. Weighing in  at 220lbs, and being 6 ft. i'm not a featherweight. The 350 was totally stock, the 450 was fully adjusted for a national racer, incl. heavier springs front and rear. My present bike is a '05 RMZ 450, but I'm dealing with the same problem as you do. The 350 should be the perfect bike for your weight/length, as far as you can manage a fluent riding style. You have to keep the speeds in corners more constant, while the 450 accomodates a more edgy/square riding style. The 350 feels like a very well steering /beefed up 250, while the 450 gives the 'wow what a powerful bike' feeling.

This weekend i will try the 350 again on a sandy track, so i will post again after the weekend.

I also have a 13.5 Dungey 450FE which I really like ( 6'1" 200lbs). However, a friend let me ride his 2014 350 last week.  I can only say wow! I know on paper it is not much lighter but when riding it you sure feel that it is a lot lighter. I rode it on a fast track and had no issues making the longer jumps. You have to twist the throttle just a little longer and harder but I am convinced it could lower my lap times. I believe there is 2015 350 not yet born that has my name on it! Sure would be cool if they made a 350FE, just love the orange frame and extra goodies.

PaulP, enjoy!

I also have a 13.5 Dungey 450FE which I really like ( 6'1" 200lbs). However, a friend let me ride his 2014 350 last week.  I can only say wow! I know on paper it is not much lighter but when riding it you sure feel that it is a lot lighter. I rode it on a fast track and had no issues making the longer jumps. You have to twist the throttle just a little longer and harder but I am convinced it could lower my lap times. I believe there is 2015 350 not yet born that has my name on it! Sure would be cool if they made a 350FE, just love the orange frame and extra goodies.

PaulP, enjoy!

People coming off 450's and riding the 350 also have to remember to rev it. The limiter is set at almost 14,000 rpm. If you short shift it will feel way under power to a 450 but if you rev it out it is very impressive for being 100 cc down. Just my 2 cents.

motojunkie dan, heres the thing, I road the new 350, it is a great bike , and yes you do have to rev it, and like you said it revs to 14k. just like a 250f, the 350, engine will require more maintance because of that. I like the 350, im a vet A rider, I would much rather have the 450, no questions asked, especially how little difference they r in price. but absolutely, its a very good bike!