Sign in to follow this  

Where do I send my cyl. head for valve seating?

I live in the San Diego area. The 08' drz is stock except for 3x3 and k&n filter at 35k. I want to maybe get another 35k out of her, love the reliability. Every part necessary is in my garage for a top end rebuild. The only thing needed is a reliable shop that can seat my valves. Does anyone know where I can get this done correctly? I have read the drama on another post and would rather avoid having any problems. Just want a good valve job done for a reasonable, fair price.

has anyone tried fast heads out of arizona? they look to specialize on the rmz......

I live in the San Diego area. The 08' drz is stock except for 3x3 and k&n filter at 35k. I want to maybe get another 35k out of her, love the reliability. Every part necessary is in my garage for a top end rebuild. The only thing needed is a reliable shop that can seat my valves. Does anyone know where I can get this done correctly? I have read the drama on another post and would rather avoid having any problems. Just want a good valve job done for a reasonable, fair price.

i can tell you a few places in my area to NOT send it. haha. Maybe send it to eddie? 

i can tell you a few places in my area to NOT send it. haha. Maybe send it to eddie? 

Jawknee, I feel really lucky I got my engine back from Epic and Eddie just months before their whole debacle. If it were me right now, I'd find someone else to do it.

• Like 1

Jawknee, I feel really lucky I got my engine back from Epic and Eddie just months before their whole debacle. If it were me right now, I'd find someone else to do it.

haha. maybe its time for me to start learning to do more myself. i was planning on doing a stroker within the next year sometime. thats probably not happening...

i checked out a few local shops, dirty, unorganized mechanical graveyards. the other side of the coin was a very professional automobile speed shop that i would be intimidated about bringing in my little 400cc head. "is that off a scooter?"

haha. maybe its time for me to start learning to do more myself. i was planning on doing a stroker within the next year sometime. thats probably not happening...

You can do it brother. Just take your time with it. It's not like you wouldn't have a bike to ride having the Thumper Twins in the garage.

p.s. The dogs eating a tortilla video you have was cute. I can't help but feel that way, because I have two dogs that I rescued and raised from pups. I have a major soft spot for well behaved dogs. I love my girls.

• Like 1

You can do it brother. Just take your time with it. It's not like you wouldn't have a bike to ride having the Thumper Twins in the garage.

p.s. The dogs eating a tortilla video you have was cute. I can't help but feel that way, because I have two dogs that I rescued and raised from pups. I have a major soft spot for well behaved dogs. I love my girls.

I even have an extra bottom end of the motor. the only thing i need is a head. everything else i'd be replacing anyway. 

My dogs are my best friends. haha. They dont need much to be happy...

Edited by jawknee21

I even have an extra bottom end of the motor. the only thing i need is a head. everything else i'd be replacing anyway. 

My dogs are my best friends. haha. They dont need much to be happy...

If i can come up with $394 for the CW BBK you think you can put it on?  

I'll supply a safe working conditon,  (garage),  a gourmet dinner (pizza,  with only 1 topping tho), and your choice of fine wines and spirits (6 pack of Corona's)   :)

• Like 2

i checked out a few local shops, dirty, unorganized mechanical graveyards. the other side of the coin was a very professional automobile speed shop that i would be intimidated about bringing in my little 400cc head. "is that off a scooter?"

Clean is good, means they take pride in their work.

Your money is as good as the next blokes.

Look after you on a small job, they might get bigger job another day.

If i can come up with $394 for the CW BBK you think you can put it on?  

I'll supply a safe working conditon,  (garage),  a gourmet dinner (pizza,  with only 1 topping tho), and your choice of fine wines and spirits (6 pack of Corona's)   :)

AND an internet connection? So we can ask any questions we might have..

Im sure WE could put it on. haha. everyone on here is saying that if you can do cams then a big bore is easy, and to me, cams are easy. I just havent done it yet since first time Eddie had to do the bottom end too and the 2nd time i was having other things done besides JUST the big bore. I should have some time, I stopped going to work already. Like 2 weeks early. Couldn't put up with them anymore. I was hoping i could last until mid september...

• Like 1

Hypersports in O'Side will definitely do it.  The owner of the shop has a built DRZ400SM (personal bike) and is cocky as all get out.  I was going to use them but couldnt handle the attitude so I sent mine to Eddie about a year ago.  I might look at them a little differently now with the current state of SSW

Im sure WE could put it on. haha. everyone on here is saying that if you can do cams then a big bore is easy, and to me, cams are easy. I just havent done it yet since first time Eddie had to do the bottom end too and the 2nd time i was having other things done besides JUST the big bore. I should have some time, I stopped going to work already. Like 2 weeks early. Couldn't put up with them anymore. I was hoping i could last until mid september...

If you have a manual and are using the FAQ, you guys can do it no problem. 

Hypersports in O'Side will definitely do it.  The owner of the shop has a built DRZ400SM (personal bike) and is cocky as all get out.  I was going to use them but couldnt handle the attitude so I sent mine to Eddie about a year ago.  I might look at them a little differently now with the current state of SSW

I have a CRF250R head that needs work.... it's going to SSW.. I just confirmed today, he is still set up for this kind of work, and ready to support.

SSW has worked on my personal bikes, my friends bikes, and customers bikes.. I have no reservations with sending him more work.

• Like 1

I haven't been to work in 10 months. We could hang out! Too bad you're almost 400 miles away. :lol:

• Like 1

If you have a manual and are using the FAQ, you guys can do it no problem. 

ive done all of it except for taking the actual piston out and putting a new one on/in. I've had the head off before and left the piston in the cylinder so i wouldnt have to use a new base gasket or put new rings in. i just wanted to check the cylinder...

I have a CRF250R head that needs work.... it's going to SSW.. I just confirmed today, he is still set up for this kind of work, and ready to support.

SSW has worked on my personal bikes, my friends bikes, and customers bikes.. I have no reservations with sending him more work.

It seems like people have a tendency to kick a man when he is down. Maybe it is time to put some faith in the belief that a reputation can be salvaged.