My experience with gearing

Just in case this helps anybody. I'm riding a uncorked, stock XR4 at 8000+ feet. Been running a 16/42 and it pulls it pretty good except that on a long hill or against the wind it becomes marginal in 5'th. Went to a 16/39 which allowed me to drop into 4'th for those situations and that works great but 5'th is then too high except in dead calm and/or slightly down hill, but its close to working. I think with a 426 or 440, it would be ok.

Gearing was a bit too tall to work on uphills or against the wind so you made it TALLER and shift DOWN to 4th?
 Sorry, but that seems bass ackward to me?  All you've done is REMOVE a gear and made your bike a 4 speed.
 You need to go to 16/45 or 15/42 and then 5th WOULD work uphill or against the wind.  ;)

I am going to do 16/45 and see how it works for my riding which is mostly street and a little dirt. It should be fine especially when i do sumo wheels.

I am going to do 16/45 and see how it works for my riding which is mostly street and a little dirt. It should be fine especially when i do sumo wheels.

I went back to the 16/42 which is great, especially with the MT43 which I believe has a sidewall height almost 1/2 higher than the oem knobby and that makes a big difference also. This gearing is all it will pull up hill against a moderate wind. Against a strong wind, need to go to 4'th.

The 16/39 gave me a 4'th gear equivalent to the oem 5'th gear which basically boils down to an overdrive. With a 440, it would be great on the street.

I went back to the 16/42 which is great, especially with the MT43 which I believe has a sidewall height almost 1/2 higher than the oem knobby and that makes a big difference also. This gearing is all it will pull up hill against a moderate wind. Against a strong wind, need to go to 4'th.

The 16/39 gave me a 4'th gear equivalent to the oem 5'th gear which basically boils down to an overdrive. With a 440, it would be great on the street.

I ran 14/37  which is equal to 16/43 on my 350 with sumo setup. it was very sweet.  350 is a 6 speed, but it was a tad taller than it needed. Amazing for a 50mph commute.  Would be perfect on a 400 with 5 speed i  think.