Moto XR400

I can't believe I've missed out on this forum for so long. I've had my '01 since new and it has been a great bike always starting easily on the first or second kick and its been a blast to ride. Growing up on the ranch it has always served well, but now that I live in town and work a real job I don't have much time to ride trails anymore. I'd like to ride around town and out to the fishing spot when the weather is nice. 

I've been thinking about converting over to the super moto setup. I'm not at all interested in racing just going to work and back and out to the lake. I've been checking out the Warp 9 wheels and ventured on some thoughts about gearing. My bike is currently as stock as it gets. What kind of gearing would be desirable for around town and occasional highway use? What kinds of other things am I missing out putting on the shopping list for the conversion? I've got this slated for a winter project and winter is pretty long around here. 

Thanks!

Just my 2 cents here but I'd say just get some dual sport tires for your stock wheels.Super moto wheels won't do much more for you than make your pocket lighter and tires more expensive. I've found 16/45 to be good gearing for 50/50 on/off road. Highway speed will still be winding it out pretty good but cruising at 55 is very doable with that gearing and it's still low enough to do some light off roading if the chance comes around. If your gonna be all street and town, maybe 15/40.

I agree with Mich.

If you don't want full knobbies, put more of a dual sport tire on it. Adjust your gearing, do what you need to as far as lights, horn, mirror and such to get a plate for it. When you find yourself on dirt roads, riding around the ranch or on trails, it will still get around fine.

I am going to go against what the others said since I have now had 3 supermotos. There is NOTHING more fun than a street legal dirt bike with Sumo tyres and wheels on it! You will be able to either keep up or thrash sportbikes in tight twisties, have so much fun round town that you feel like every ride is a possible jail sentence, and still be able to ride a lot faster than you think in the dirt if you get either Perelli MT60Rs or Avon Distanzias. I hear those Warp 9s are the shit now for the price as they went from cast hubs to billet, and the rims got more heavy duty when they started manufacturing them in Australia or New Zealand. I am going to get a set of them for my XR400R and do another super moto. I have had bikes with dual sport tyres on the stock wheels, and they are dangerous because i tried to go as fast on them as on my sumo setups......didn't work!

here's my first XR based Sumo...

full.jpg

Edited by KevinsXR

I'm going to go against what Kevin said as I've owned 2 motards and I can tell you that they are super fun for about a week.

Then you realize that the super tight curves where you can own sportbikes happen about once every year unless you live by deals gap.  That a single cyl 4 stroke is a pretty piss poor excuse (slow) for a sporting street bike.. And that getting left a mile behind on any sport ride (against twins and multi's) sucks big bloody wankers.  Maybe on a track or if you live somewhere with lots of backroads and no cops. In the real world, it got old pretty quick.

Read the motard sections and you'll find that MOST motards seem to live about a year, then are sold or converted back to dual sport.

Like both mine. ?
If you gotta try, get street tires for you stock wheels. SPORTSMANS class in racing and 95% of the fun without the heavy street bike feel of the front end after those heavy wheels/tires/

JMO

So on the dual sport tires is there any problem running the tube in them since they are tubeless design?

Also, what size is recommended? I didn't see any dual sport tires in the stock size although there are plenty just a little narrower and shorter for the front and a little shorter on the rear. How big should I be able to go?

There aren't much for twisties around this part of MT. I have entertained the thought of going on longer treks with either the dual sport or super moto setup though. 

Some of you guys are missing that he is talking about getting a full set of wheels and tyres for sumo. He will still have his dirt wheels and that is the beast of both worlds! You can easily swap between the two in about an hour even when drunk.

So on the dual sport tires is there any problem running the tube in them since they are tubeless design?

Also, what size is recommended? I didn't see any dual sport tires in the stock size although there are plenty just a little narrower and shorter for the front and a little shorter on the rear. How big should I be able to go?

There aren't much for twisties around this part of MT. I have entertained the thought of going on longer treks with either the dual sport or super moto setup though. 

You can go a lot bigger than stock tires on the stock rims.  

For street use wider than stock is better. 

120 rear for sure. I ran a 130 on the stock 2.15" but it's pushing it. The extremely light weight and low hp compared to multi's, no problem.  110 front is nice. 

Edited by MindBlower

After doing a lot of reading here on the various forums it appears I have a few things that may need some attention. The first is that I may have some serious suspension upgrades and maintenance to do. I really haven't done much of anything to the bike since new except for oil changes and a few spark plugs. I'm sure that is sacrilege so you all are guilty of propagating my intervention.

It's not my fault Honda builds such an awesome bike from the start.

I plan to keep riding for another month or so as the weather allows and this winter will be major reconstruction time. Luckily I have a heated shop to work on everything.

Thanks.

I'm a new XR400 owner, and have the same type of use as what you're describing.  I have changed tires from DOT knobbies to Shinko 705 120/80, and 90/90, maybe should have gone with something wider in the front... added a rim lock opposite the factory one on the front,much better balance, no weights.     I'm running 15/45, but think a 40 will be perfect,although I am worried about the clutch during 1st gear starts with a 15/40. <-  anyone?

Anyway,  both tires,shipped for $115, + under $50 for a sprocket + $6  rim lock = cheap 70%-80%  on road XR

I'm a new XR400 owner, and have the same type of use as what you're describing.  I have changed tires from DOT knobbies to Shinko 705 120/80, and 90/90, maybe should have gone with something wider in the front... added a rim lock opposite the factory one on the front,much better balance, no weights.     I'm running 15/45, but think a 40 will be perfect,although I am worried about the clutch during 1st gear starts with a 15/40. <-  anyone?

Anyway,  both tires,shipped for $115, + under $50 for a sprocket + $6  rim lock = cheap 70%-80%  on road XR

15/40 is stock gearing for the AUS and EU bikes I think. Should be no problem.

I ran a 14/37 (= 15/40) on my street use 350 and it was a tad tall but no slippage to get going

. And the 350 is a 6 sp so I would think on a 5 sp that gearing would be perfect. 

Very very nice at 40-55 commuting.

Amazingly smooth with street rubber, feels like a different motor.

Agree on the 705's, cheap and sticky, good stuff for the $.

Edited by MindBlower

I ordered the Kenda 761. I looked all over but I couldn't find anything wider than 90mm on the 21" rim and 120 was the widest for the rear. I will probably still have to get a different sprocket for the rear if I decide to go longer distances, but in town the speed limit is 25 which already chugs in 5th gear.