KTM or BETA

Im looking at KTM 350 EXC-F and BETA 400RS both 2014.........Which one? Please people with experience on both from brand perspective......I do know one is FI.......one not......don't know the mods for the BETA either.....commentary...

The Beta is very nice

Beta makes an awesome bike. That's for sure. But, I'd still go KTM. Parts availability will be much, much better.

Both awesome bike for dual sporting. The Beta has a much different engine character to the KTM though. The Beta has long smooth and useable power, while the KTM needs to be screamed a bit more. Nice thing with the Beta, is that being carb fed, you can make jetting changes "pretty" easily (it is tight around the carb, so I usually just flip the rear subframe up and  make any changes. Carb is also a bonus if something goes wrong in the middle of nowhere, unlike fuel injection). As for parts, loads of guys on this forum say parts come quickly and at a reasonable price via Beta dealers. The one massive difference is with regards seat height and suspension. The Beta is a lot lower than the KTM, For me that was important, even at 5'10". Then the KTM has the linkageless PDS system, whilst the Beta has a linkage rear end.

I'd say, try take both for a run on a trail you know and make the call after that experience

also have a look at these articles:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/11/12483/Motorcycle-Article/2012-350-Enduro-Comparison.aspx

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/11/13018/Motorcycle-Article/2012-450-Enduro-Shootout.aspx

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/55/10618/Motorcycle-Article/2011-Beta-400-RR-First-Ride.aspx

Edited by thebob_za

Has anyone ridden the BETA 350RR? Look at that one for trail riding... Stuck between that an KTM350xcf-w..

Have owned KTM's before and really liked them but never owned a BETA... the 2013/14's look sweet!

The Beta's are the sexiest bike on the market, imo, never heard bad of them either, go the beta

I would go with which ever you can get parts for easier. I have a KTM and my riding buddy has a Beta the only difference is I can get parts are all 3 of the local shops, and he has to shop around to find parts. There has been a few times where he needed a part to ride and couldn't because local dealers didn't have parts on hand. 

I would go with which ever you can get parts for easier. I have a KTM and my riding buddy has a Beta the only difference is I can get parts are all 3 of the local shops, and he has to shop around to find parts. There has been a few times where he needed a part to ride and couldn't because local dealers didn't have parts on hand. 

Good to know.. In Hawaii so thinking KTM might be the way to go.. hard enough to get parts for any bike out here!

Good to know.. In Hawaii so thinking KTM might be the way to go.. hard enough to get parts for any bike out here!

I'm in Hawaii. Beta parts come very fast and I've never had a problem with parts at all. As a matter of fact Beta parts and service for me have been better than any brand I've had so far. I've had my Beta since 09'. Where do you live? Molokai? Lanai?..might be a little harder there..but I doubt ktm will be any better than Beta as far as parts and service.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider