I think my dealer tried to get my bike to blow up!

So i bought a 2008 ktm sxf450 in june first ktm i ever owned, so they had done all the top ups and shebang so i finally put 20 hours on and decided to change my oil like they recommended any who i drain all the oil and it seemed like alot and the manual says to put in 1.34L somethin somethin so i measured all the oil that came out and it ended up being like 2.3L. Im really suprised a gasket didnt blow i havent called them to ask why so much but i would like to hear what u ktm vets have to say or maybe there was a reason for this much any input would be great thx.

BennyG!

So I guess this never happened to anyone then.

its a real surprise it ran ok

Always check over the dealerships work! My new 350 EXC-f was supposedly delivered to me "un-smogged". After a short ride, I decided to check it over and found that yes, they had de-smogged my bike, for the most part - *but* they had left the SAS solenoid plugged in, and in place, with the air inlet open to the dirty environment! I was glad that I found it quickly! I quickly disconnected and removed the solenoid, and plugged the intake port.... I could have very easily ruined my brand new bike in a very short time.

crazy u would just assume they would no what they are doing!

So i bought a 2008 ktm sxf450 in june first ktm i ever owned, so they had done all the top ups and shebang so i finally put 20 hours on and decided to change my oil like they recommended

You rode a motocross bike that holds a tiny amount of oil for 20 hours and never bothered looking at the sight glass to check your oil level?

I hate to say this but it's entirely on you. Ever checked your radiators or air filter either? This is very basic maintenance well covered in your owners manual.

Always check over the dealerships work! My new 350 EXC-f was supposedly delivered to me "un-smogged". After a short ride, I decided to check it over and found that yes, they had de-smogged my bike, for the most part - *but* they had left the SAS solenoid plugged in, and in place, with the air inlet open to the dirty environment! I was glad that I found it quickly! I quickly disconnected and removed the solenoid, and plugged the intake port.... I could have very easily ruined my brand new bike in a very short time.

SAS allows extra air to the exhaust side to help insure complete combustion after the exhaust valves and heat up the cat converter faster on Euro bikes. It shouldn't have hurt anything and just caused backfiring. That being said your dealer screwed up on this one.

It looked full like it does with only 1.3 some litres so I don't no what ur sayin

"SAS allows extra air to the exhaust side to help insure complete combustion after the exhaust valves and heat up the cat converter faster on Euro bikes. It shouldn't have hurt anything and just caused backfiring. That being said your dealer screwed up on this one."

Sorry, Ud - Not the SAS system, but the vapor recovery system. There is a solenoid on the bottom of the throttle body that opens on command from the ECU to let tank vapors get sucked into the intake manifold. They removed the charcoal canister, and just clipped the tank vent to a plastic clip on the frame. This left the intake on the solenoid wide open! When the ECU told the solenoid to open, the manifold would be fed unfiltered air! Small doses, no doubt, but unfiltered air nonetheless. The de-smog process usually includes the complete removal of this solenoid, and the plugging of the manifold port.

Edited by gplassm

"SAS allows extra air to the exhaust side to help insure complete combustion after the exhaust valves and heat up the cat converter faster on Euro bikes. It shouldn't have hurt anything and just caused backfiring. That being said your dealer screwed up on this one."

Sorry, Ud - Not the SAS system, but the vapor recovery system. There is a solenoid on the bottom of the throttle body that opens on command from the ECU to let tank vapors get sucked into the intake manifold. They removed the charcoal canister, and just clipped the tank vent to a plastic clip on the frame. This left the intake on the solenoid wide open! When the ECU told the solenoid to open, the manifold would be fed unfiltered air! Small doses, no doubt, but unfiltered air nonetheless. The de-smog process usually includes the complete removal of this solenoid, and the plugging of the manifold port.

Big screwup on the vapor recovery side. I'd have been a bit annoyed.

Just an FYI, you should be changing the oil every 5 - 10hrs maximum. 20hrs is just too much time to run the motor without changing the oil. So whoever recommended that number to you, they shouldn't be trusted with a wrench.

Ohh and if 2.5l came out, then there is no way the sight glass was at its HALF way mark, indicating proper oil level. If its full, then its WRONG. If there isn't anything seen on the sight glass, then its wrong.

Also, perhaps the dealer checked the bike with the bike on the triangle? I've seen that before with street bikes, dealers forget they need to check the oil with the bike upright and on even footing.

I change mine every 5 hrs and ppl get after me saying i should do it every 10...

5hrs is expensive, but oil is easy to change, so no real complaints out of me...

I agree with tye1138. lol, youd damn near have to lay your bike on its side to get half glass with 2.4 qt in it. You are very lucky you arent doing a rebuild. I love tinkering with my bikes through the week and when i put them on the trailer they are ready to ride....but, my pre-ride ritual is going ovrr my bike when its on the trai,er still strapped down.its the perfect time to check it out because everything is closer to eye level. Its much easier to see things that i may have missed on the stand. Its a good habit to get in to .

Well i got pretty lucky with it not blowing up i have called and told them about it they must have filled it on a triangle i would say.