Spring Rates and Awful suspension

So i've been gone in california all summer and I just walked in the door here in michigan. A few weeks ago I had my dad drop off my cr125 at a local suspension shop to get it done properly so I could go race when I got home. Long story dealing with this shop, but lets just say it was so awful before it went into the shop, but its even far worse now.

Forks are stiff as hell, when I sit on the bike the shock doesn't even move, I mean barely. I told the guy at the shop I wanted springs for my weight/skill. He told me I would be able to slide with the stock springs, and instead of spending the money on new springs he was going to do a bunch of mechanical shit to my bike that it didn't need. When the job was done he called me and said the suspension is awful (yes, after he completed the job). He said my linkage/swingarm bearings were toast (i'm sure they are, 01 cr125 never had suspension serviced) and that I needed springs for my weight. (what I originally asked him for....best part was he turned it on me saying I told him not to get new springs so I could save money...)

So i'm ordering the pivot works linkage/swingarm bearing kit right now and i'm going to replace those this week. The stock spring rates for my bike are .43 for the forks and 4.8 for the shock. Racetech recommends .41 for the forks and a 4.6 for the shock. I'm 140 lbs and a C rider.

What I'm getting at here, is I'm wondering how far apart those springs are from each other. I have never dealt with suspension, so I'm not sure how much .02  and  .2 varies for the forks and shock. Would getting those lighter springs fix my issue here? Or are those springs pretty close to each other? Anyone know what weight rider is meant for the stock springs?

Sorry this post is jumbled, confusing, and hard to read....I just finished a 34 hour drive, 2300 miles, and I only stopped at one hotel and slept for 5 hours before i had to check out...I'm a little out of it.

Forget the springs and anything else until you get the linkage and swingarm bearings working properly. NOTHING matters until that is done. You deserve a good spanking.

Forget the springs and anything else until you get the linkage and swingarm bearings working properly. NOTHING matters until that is done. You deserve a good spanking.

There on the way I will get them and install them wednesday. I haven't owned this bike long, I complete projects as I get the money. I did the motor first (cause it needed it), and now i'm addressing the suspension.

There on the way I will get them and install them wednesday. I haven't owned this bike long, I complete projects as I get the money. I did the motor first (cause it needed it), and now i'm addressing the suspension.

:thumbsup:  :ride:

:thumbsup:  :ride:

Do you have any idea about the differences in spring rate?

I'd leave the springs alone.  My kid is on a YZ125, 130 lbs, and riding on about the same weight stock springs - a rate or two higher than racetech recommends.  Get a little faster and you're set!

After you get those swingarm and linkage bearings dialed, time to dive into the suspension.  Fresh fluids and bushings are likely in order. 

The spring rates are a tad stiff for you and the STD valving was way off on that bike

I'd leave the springs alone.  My kid is on a YZ125, 130 lbs, and riding on about the same weight stock springs - a rate or two higher than racetech recommends.  Get a little faster and you're set!

After you get those swingarm and linkage bearings dialed, time to dive into the suspension.  Fresh fluids and bushings are likely in order. 

Good to know about the springs. Already had everything replaced in the forks and shock except the springs. Just waiting on those bearings to come in tomorrow.

The spring rates are a tad stiff for you and the STD valving was way off on that bike

Yeah, I have heard this bike is notorious for stiff suspension from the factory. Is the only way to change that by getting it re-valved? (which I just did...lol)

Yes correct valving is the only way