Sign in to follow this  

2012 wr450f shim stacks

Ive been riding a 2012 wr450f sprung for my weight and love the fork action.

Have an 06 YZ250 and Id like to get the same feel and response in the fork. Woods setup, single track and rocky.

Is there any difference in the fork internals (apart from shim stacks) that would prevent me shimming the yz fork to wr specs to get the same result?

Obviously there's 20kg difference in bikes but I think there's enough range in the clickers to tune it out.

Anyone have the 2012 factory stacks for base, mid and rebound?

Thanks in advance, Hayden

Obviously there's 20kg difference in bikes but I think there's enough range in the clickers to tune it out.

Obviously this wont work because you cant tune weight differences with the clickers...

I dont know the 2012 WR 450 fork.

If it is a kyb SSS fork you can copy the stacks.

Whether you will get the same feeling as on your YZ is a different story.

Unless the forks have the same cartridge diameters, valve geometry, port size, etc, you can't just copy the stacks and expect it to feel the same.

Nonetheless, if you open up the WR and look at the general shape of the stacks (quantity and thickness of face shims, staging/crossovers, midvalve float, etc), you can take a lot of that information and apply it to the YZ and make some significant improvement.

Is there any difference in the fork internals (apart from shim stacks) that would prevent me shimming the yz fork to wr specs to get the same result?

Hayden, the WRF fork is an 48 open cartridge fork whereas the YZ250 comes with an 48 closed cartridge fork.

You cannot compare those two.

I would recommend to just put in the right springs for your weight and look how the new pony feels when being treated on the track.

You might give it more float.

I think the 12 and up wr450s have the TC fork.

Thanks for the info so far gents.

GSCX has it, 12 and up WR's have the TC fork.

I was more wondering if there were any piston / port / bleeds or other major internal differences between the YZ and WR that would influence the way the fork worked if I were to install WR shim stacks in the YZ forks............ pretty much as Kyle said it.

Both bikes will be sprung for me, correct sag etc.

Was hoping someone might have the WR stacks and other info so I don't have to strip the WR forks!

12 and up WR's have the TC fork.

sorry, skipped the built

I just ordered new springs for my 2012 wr450f.

I'd like to model it in Restacker and then make a few adjustments. I'd like to share knowledge if others are interested.

How did you make out with your YZ forks ?

What did you learn about the WR forks ?

Ended up pulling down the WR forks. Only have some old imperial micrometers so my thickness measurements don't quite stack up how they should!

The outcome is I've come very close to the WR mid valve stacks with a tiny bit more float.

Left two of the 32mm shims (.11mm?) off the base valve.

The fork is 95% where I want it. Some deflection on very hard high speed hits but I haven't played with the compression adjusters enough to see if I can tune it out.

What this process has done is highlight the imbalance I now have between the fork and the shock.

I now have a some tuning to do to eliminate a high speed kick in the rear.

Just put an EG295 kit on this thing ported for bottom to mid. Lectron shorty will be here this week. 101 measured kg with barkbusters and a bashplate......... I cant begin to describe just how good this combo is.

Ended up pulling down the WR forks. Only have some old imperial micrometers so my thickness measurements don't quite stack up how they should!

I'd still love to see what you measured in the stacks. It will help me to prepare for pulling my WR forks apart.

The outcome is I've come very close to the WR mid valve stacks with a tiny bit more float.

Left two of the 32mm shims (.11mm?) off the base valve.

The fork is 95% where I want it. Some deflection on very hard high speed hits but I haven't played with the compression adjusters enough to see if I can tune it out.

What this process has done is highlight the imbalance I now have between the fork and the shock.

I now have a some tuning to do to eliminate a high speed kick in the rear.

Keep me informed.

If you get me measurements (YZ and/or WR) I'll run them through Restackor and put the results in this thread. That should allow us to see where your high speed kick is coming from and how to tune it out.

Just put an EG295 kit on this thing ported for bottom to mid. Lectron shorty will be here this week. 101 measured kg with barkbusters and a bashplate......... I cant begin to describe just how good this combo is.

Actually, I can. My friend has a 2012 YZ250F with a 310 kit in it and Ohlins. Its a full on woods build. I've ridden it a few times. Great bike. Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy

Rightio, not sure if you can make sense of this lot, its my notes as I pulled down the WR fork. Diameter is in mm, thickness is on the old imperial mic. not exact, someone that knows may be able to help with actual thickness. This was for comparison between the shims I had at the time.

2012 WR450 Factory fork shim stacks

Mid Valve

Nut

Washer 16mm x 1.5mm

10mm x 10”

11mm x 4.5”

14mm x 5”

16mm x 5”

18 mmx 5”

14mm x 5”

20mm x 5" x 4

Valve large windows on side facing up

20mm x 5” x 3

18mm x 5”

16mm x 5”

14mm x 6”

11mm x 12” x 2

17mm x 12” x 2

Stack combined height 1.9mm

Spring over collar

Collar 7.9mm od 6.1mm id 5.25mm long…….208” long

4.3mm available collar protruding from base of valve no including next shim below

Shim under collar 8mm x 5’ = 5.4102mm – 1.9mm stack = 3.5102

Cup 16.5mm od 3.5mm high

Base valve

32mm x5” x 22

30mm x 5”

28mm x 5”

26mm x 5”

24mm x 5”

22mm x 5”

20mm x 5”

18 mm x 5”

16 mm x 5”

14 mm x 5”

12 mm x 5”

10 mm x 5”

9 mm x 10”

20 mm x 5”

11 mm x 10”x 3

18 mm x 5”

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing this, clevochild.

What exactly does "10mm x 10”" mean ?  Specifically the 10" part.  10 thou ?  "thickness is on the old imperial mic" ?

Do you have any pictures of the "cup" part of this ?

By chance did you happen to take any piston measurements ?

Could you confirm that this sequence in the base valve is correct ?

9 mm x 10”

20 mm x 5”

11 mm x 10”x 3

Could the 20mm x 5" actually be 20mm x 1.5mm.   That is the way it is in the YZ stacks.

Thanks again.