400 valves, cause hard starting?

There is about 2400 kms since I got the bike used and was told it had 500 miles on it when I got it, haven't checked the valve clearances yet, more of a general question for if that could cause it.

I should have checked when I did my timing chain upgrade but I didn't have a feeler gauge

There is about 2400 kms since I got the bike used and was told it had 500 miles on it when I got it, haven't checked the valve clearances yet, more of a general question for if that could cause it.

I should have checked when I did my timing chain upgrade but I didn't have a feeler gauge

Holy shit!! I was just going to ask you that. Sorry to hear that you didn't have the feeler gauges. At least you know what to do to check them. 

A little tip if you are just checking clearance and not replacing shims: No need to find TDC and lock the motor. Simply turn the motor over and check the intake clearance as the exhaust valves start to open, check the exhaust clearance as the intake valves starts to close…….

Holy shit!! I was just going to ask you that. Sorry to hear that you didn't have the feeler gauges. At least you know what to do to check them.

A little tip if you are just checking clearance and not replacing shims: No need to find TDC and lock the motor. Simply turn the motor over and check the intake clearance as the exhaust valves start to open, check the exhaust clearance as the intake valves starts to close…….

Don't know what shims are in there now so it wouldn't have done me any good except for finding if they were out of spec, just going to buy a kit still cheaper than going to a shop and I have a hard time trusting shops nowadays ?

Don't know what shims are in there now so it wouldn't have done me any good except for finding if they were out of spec, just going to buy a kit still cheaper than going to a shop and I have a hard time trusting shops nowadays ?

Piece of glass and some fine sandpaper and you will have those shims perfect in no time.

Hmmm, never thought of that, the only issue is I will have to make sure I keep track of the old size, need calipers to measure them

You will need a mic or caliper to check what size you have in the bike now even if you get a kit.

Dave if you are going to do them at home I have a micrometer and the last time I did shims Mile Zero swapped them with me for nothing. They will sell them one at a time too. I also have the feeler gauges if you don't have them at home.

Dave if you are going to do them at home I have a micrometer and the last time I did shims Mile Zero swapped them with me for nothing. They will sell them one at a time too. I also have the feeler gauges if you don't have them at home.

Thanks, I have vernier callipers and feeler gauges, just don't want to get caught not being able to put the bike back together.