Sign in to follow this  

tires and rims

im looking to get new tires and rims for my crf450x and am looking to get a set of black rims and red hubs. and was wondering what kind/size to get for a decent price. any suggestions??

i like my tusk wheels.  $500 at rocky mountain atv.  have to use an R front though which means bye bye speedo gear.  i have a trail tech vapor so had the odo disconnected a while ago.

im looking to get new tires and rims for my crf450x and am looking to get a set of black rims and red hubs. and was wondering what kind/size to get for a decent price. any suggestions??

http://www.ksrwheels.net/ in Stevens, PA serves the US well. Keith is a great source for Excel and another brand SM Pro. I went with those wheels as they're [claimed to be] stronger than the A60s and I liked the Matte finish. They offer the speedo drive, but I opted out because I was running a Voyager. He can supply tires etc. mounted and makes package deals.

RZ Rob

02CC64F6-AE01-43CA-99E3-440EF28B6E6D_zps

Edited by RZRob

Rear: TCR or Talon hubs...DID DirtStar or Excel or SRT Rims 2.15X18

Front: TCR or Talon hubs...DID DirtStar or Excel or SRT Rims 1.60X21

anything less is well, less.

Have you ever had any wheel fail?  Probably get 2 sets of rocky mountain wheels for the price of that set-up.  Pretty for sure but my OEM's are still straight and chugging along at 300+ hours.  My plan is just to keep an eye on em and get a set from rocky mountain and keep these mounted up as spares!

• Like 1

Tusk wheel sets are the way to go! The only thing I don't like about them is that they only come in black. I had a black rim once and never will again. That thing looked like junk after one month with all the scratches. Plus, you have to be much more careful when changing tires not to scratch it. Only silver rims for me from now on.

Have you ever had any wheel fail?  Probably get 2 sets of rocky mountain wheels for the price of that set-up.  Pretty for sure but my OEM's are still straight and chugging along at 300+ hours.  My plan is just to keep an eye on em and get a set from rocky mountain and keep these mounted up as spares!

Yeah...I've seen tons of wheels fail. Anything from China is just suspect in my eyes. I've seen DNA wheels fail the most often, followed closely by the Chinese wheels that were sold by Factory Effex...they are the same as the Tusk/Rocky Mountain wheels.

They are pretty, and they are a great price, but the quality is low.

Factory Effex stopped selling them and stopped selling any parts for them based on their Legal teams advice.

A wheel failure can be anything from sprocket holes rounding out and causing a hub failure, to spoke holes opening up and causing a failure, to Rims cracking on the weld, all the way to catastrophic failure landing a jump and causing bodily injury.

Wheels are one of those things that you just should not go cheap on.

The OEM wheels are tough...especially the hubs. The rims are a 6000 series aluminum and as such will bend more often than break. The 7000 series alloys used by most aftermarket manufacturers such as Excel and DID DirtStar are a much stronger alloy and usually will hold up to much more abuse.

The OP asked for Red hubs...that is what really drives up the price. Aftermarket hubs that are high quality are VERY expensive. Using OEM hubs with Buchanan spokes and DID Dirt Star rims is what we race with...they are generally bulletproof. OEM hubs can be polished or Powder coated to change their appearance if desired.

Edited by CRF DOC
  • Like 2

I had exactly what CRF DOC said in mind when I built 2 sets of wheels recently>

Stock front hub polished
CRF450XFRONTHUBPOLISHED4.jpg

Supermoto wheel assembled, Painted the outside of the hub for a different look (Hard to polish this area too) & assembled using an Excel rim & Buchanan stainless spokes
CRF450XSUPERMOTOFRONTWHEEL.jpg

Gives it a unique look! These wheels are used on road only so the polished finish is holding up really well
CRF450XSUPERMOTOPLATEMOUNT.jpg

Im not a big fan of lairy hubs on off road wheels (Mud, Sand & rocks etc will eventually leave them looking not so pretty) so again I used stock hubs (Unpolished) & assembled new wheels using Excel stainless spokes & Excel rims
CRF450XFRONTWHEELTRUED.jpg

I dont mind the stock hubs on the off road wheels, Easy to clean & will stay looking like that forever
CRF450XEXCELWHEELS2.jpg

It is much easier to buy a set of wheels & if you are going to spend the money hand over a bit extra & get good quality, My choice would be Talon hubs & either Excel or DID rims

• Like 1

Moose rims are the same as DNA or Tusk (I think) and they suck bad. I've had catastrophic wheel failure more than once and every

time it's because I tried to do it on the cheap. Excel rims with Buchanan spokes on stock hubs work great and personally I've had

really good luck with Warp9 rims too. Cost is always a consideration and aftermarket hubs cost too much. The cost vs. benefit of

those for a mere mortal like me is just not there. I shop for OEM hubs then build around them.

Edited by cubera
  • Like 1

I'm definitely a fan of the Excel (A60)/Talon combo and have them on my 450R. Since KSR made strong quality claims and was 100% accountable, I gave the SM Pro's a shot. So far really happy. I think they're worthy of being placed among the quality products.

RZ Rob