Sign in to follow this  

TTR 225 Red Hot header solved

Hi all, newbie to the forum here.

It seems as though my boys '04 ttr 225 came from the factory pretty lean in the jetting, as the header would start to glow cherry red a few minutes after starting it.  I was able to get it to idle at a decent A/F ratio with just opening up the pilot scre 1/2 a turn (2 1/2 turns open), but the main A/F ratio was still too lean, as it would start glowing immediatly after coming off an idle position.  I took the carb apart, made sure there was no build-up or obstructions, and was going to move the hanger on the needle, but there was NO adjustability to the hanger, it is an e-clip in a machined groove.  So, using a VERY scientific method (wink, wink), I put a washer (about .035 thick) UNDER the needle hanger, to lift it up slightly at all throttle positions.  Just got back from taking it for a ride, and I am glad to say that it worked beautifully!  The bike no longer bogs coming off of idle, runs strong everywhere in the throttle, and best of all, no more Hot Dog Heater positioned 2 inches behind the very meltable plastic front fender!  After riding it for a while, I thought "Hmmm, better make sure it is not loading the plug up", so I cut the ignition while at speed and stopped and pulled the plug---Nice tan color, so I think all is well now.

-Scott Pearce Sr.

Typically, the needle is raised by putting the clip down one groove (or more, if required).  I seem to recall about 4 or 5 grooves on the needles for my bikes (I don't have a TTR225) so you can vary the needle height via the clip position.  Is there only one groove on the TTR225 needle?

I'm asking out of curiosity and to educate myself.  This doesn't seem typical but I guess bikes are going away from traditional design.

The non adjustable needles is to get epa compliance for emissions. They are also generally very lean for the same reason. Using the washe has the same effect as raising the needle.

The non adjustable needles is to get epa compliance for emissions. They are also generally very lean for the same reason. Using the washe has the same effect as raising the needle.

That's sad.  Nothing that can't be fixed by a little hillbilly engineering, though.  Thanks for the education.  They sure don't make them like they used to.  I'm liking my old stuff more and more.