Suggestions on upgrading

I need help making the decision of upgrading. I want something that I can take to the track but still have the reliability of a trail bike. I have a klx 125 now and it has never let me down, but I heard bad things about the race bikes and how they brake a lot. I am 5'6 125 lbs and I need a bigger bike, suggestions? - I will also be doing a lot of trail riding.

I need help making the decision of upgrading. I want something that I can take to the track but still have the reliability of a trail bike. I have a klx 125 now and it has never let me down, but I heard bad things about the race bikes and how they brake a lot. I am 5'6 125 lbs and I need a bigger bike, suggestions? - I will also be doing a lot of trail riding.

ever consider a 125 2 stroke? I'd say a yz125.
  • Like 1

I have, but I'm worried about blowing a top end or something

well a 125 in the woods would be good. It'll last anywere from 60-120 hours depending on how hard it was ran, gas to oil ratio, jetting and obviously maintenance like the air filter, changing tranny oil, and coolant.

You can take a 125 2t and throw on a few mods and it'll be a woods weapon! I'd pick up a 05-current and put an fmf gnarly header, an oversized tank, maybe adjust the gearing, and possibly get a FWW(fly wheel weight) the flywheel weight is if you feel the hit of the powerband is too much for woods riding.

Personally I feel as if you can have a big heavy, slow, underpowered bike with no suspension like the ttr230, crf230. Or you can have a very powerful, lightweight, very flickable, and will go anywere for basically the same price as a crf/ ttr230. Yea you may blow top ends but with a 250f or any 4t motorcross bike you will blow top ends just as often but there wat worse cuz it costs 300-1500 for a top end for a 4t and a 2t is 100-300.

well a 125 in the woods would be good. It'll last anywere from 60-120 hours depending on how hard it was ran, gas to oil ratio, jetting and obviously maintenance like the air filter, changing tranny oil, and coolant.

You can take a 125 2t and throw on a few mods and it'll be a woods weapon! I'd pick up a 05-current and put an fmf gnarly header, an oversized tank, maybe adjust the gearing, and possibly get a FWW(fly wheel weight) the flywheel weight is if you feel the hit of the powerband is too much for woods riding.

Personally I feel as if you can have a big heavy, slow, underpowered bike with no suspension like the ttr230, crf230. Or you can have a very powerful, lightweight, very flickable, and will go anywere for basically the same price as a crf/ ttr230. Yea you may blow top ends but with a 250f or any 4t motorcross bike you will blow top ends just as often but there wat worse cuz it costs 300-1500 for a top end for a 4t and a 2t is 100-300.

well I was looking at the newer models of the 125(2000 - 2013), but there all above my price range, including the 04s and 05s. I was wondering about your opinion on the older bikes, I could get an 86 for 1000 or maybe less with everything basically new on it. I actually like the look of the vintage ones. Here's a picture of it. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377556111.884471.jpgWould they be just as good as the newer models?

They don't offer a gnarly for the 1/8th liter pinger, that is strictly a big(ger) bike pipe.

Suspension would be pure crap compared to today and it would be much harder to keep up with today's 125s

Delete your comment because it's retarded and quite obvious you never spent time on board of a vintage bike. Surprisingly to you (but not really me or any older guys on here), late 80's bikes are very competitive with what we have today. They may not come plastered with monster energy decals or have rad shrouds shaped like the new YFZ's but 2 stroke engine technology and suspension hasn't advanced that much. A vintage bike with suspension set up to you and motor work done is more then competitive with modern ones. You listen to too much marketing, you don't need big heavy overbuilt aluminium frames, upside down forks and stupidly shaped rad shrouds to be competitive. The power of the late 80's 2 strokes are on par with and in some cases better then what we have now. The only real difference is a lot of the older bikes were harder hitting, I rode an 89 KX125 and it felt like it had more power then my stock 01 actually, much harder hit. 

As for bikes to the original poster, your options really depend on what direction you want to go. Are you okay with a trail bike? Because if you don't need a lightweight race machine, a 150f or even a 230 is an okay bike. To me however, it sounds you're ready for a 125. There is nothing wrong with a race bike that is well maintained. Change the piston and rings every summer on your 125 and inspect the bottom end and you're fine. They're much cheaper to run then a race 4 stroke and you'll learn more about riding in a few short months then you ever knew. They're very light weight, often sub-200 pounds without fluids, they're quick and flickable and have great suspension and breaks. 80% of us on this forum ride "race" bikes and even our wives and girlfriends often in a lot of cases do too. TTR's and XR's may be "reliable" but they're heavy, boring, under suspended and have shitty breaks. A 125 is a cheap bike to run, I rode one all through high school on my part time job and never had any problems. As far as brand, it doesn't matter. Get the best one in your price range in the best shape and you'll be okay. I stood up for vintage bikes earlier but I'd probably stay away because sometimes it's a headache to find parts. 

Edited by leafsrule16

Delete your comment because it's retarded and quite obvious you never spent time on board of a vintage bike. Surprisingly to you (but not really me or any older guys on here), late 80's bikes are very competitive with what we have today. They may not come plastered with monster energy decals or have rad shrouds shaped like the new YFZ's but 2 stroke engine technology and suspension hasn't advanced that much. A vintage bike with suspension set up to you and motor work done is more then competitive with modern ones. You listen to too much marketing, you don't need big heavy overbuilt aluminium frames, upside down forks and stupidly shaped rad shrouds to be competitive. The power of the late 80's 2 strokes are on par with and in some cases better then what we have now. The only real difference is a lot of the older bikes were harder hitting, I rode an 89 KX125 and it felt like it had more power then my stock 01 actually, much harder hit.

As for bikes to the original poster, your options really depend on what direction you want to go. Are you okay with a trail bike? Because if you don't need a lightweight race machine, a 150f or even a 230 is an okay bike. To me however, it sounds you're ready for a 125. There is nothing wrong with a race bike that is well maintained. Change the piston and rings every summer on your 125 and inspect the bottom end and you're fine. They're much cheaper to run then a race 4 stroke and you'll learn more about riding in a few short months then you ever knew. They're very light weight, often sub-200 pounds without fluids, they're quick and flickable and have great suspension and breaks. 80% of us on this forum ride "race" bikes and even our wives and girlfriends often in a lot of cases do too. TTR's and XR's may be "reliable" but they're heavy, boring, under suspended and have shitty breaks. A 125 is a cheap bike to run, I rode one all through high school on my part time job and never had any problems. As far as brand, it doesn't matter. Get the best one in your price range in the best shape and you'll be okay. I stood up for vintage bikes earlier but I'd probably stay away because sometimes it's a headache to find parts.

thanks a bunch, that's very helpful.