Sign in to follow this  

Honda XR650L engine rebuild

I'm unable to find any topic about a 650L rebuild and the chance that someone has done a rebuild with a 650R to make it water cooled! Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated!

Ummmmmmmmmmm..not sure what you`re getting at.........do you mean water cool an XRL engine.....or stuff the R engine in the XRL frame.......

The R engine is too tall to stuff in the XRL frame.........and water cooling the XR650L would be hard to do to say the least..

B

Ummmmmmmmmmm..not sure what you`re getting at.........do you mean water cool an XRL engine.....or stuff the R engine in the XRL frame.......

The R engine is too tall to stuff in the XRL frame.........and water cooling the XR650L would be hard to do to say the least..

B

B,

I was hoping to make the XRL engine water cooled, due to the excessive heat produced by the stock engine.  I would settle for an oil cooler, but was thinking long term cooling.  Recently, my 94 experienced a piston seizure, which scored the cylinder and cylinder wall.  bad enough both will need to be replaced.  Unknown how the engine oil was lost so quickly.  The previous oil was changed about 10 to 15 hours previously. I need to replace the piston, cylinder head and cylinder, so i figured i would do something better?  

Oil cooler, big fin head, jetting, cooler sparkpug... all very feasible options that you should consider. The other option (if water cooling is a must) is to sell your XRL and buy an XR650R or (god forbid) a KLR650.

Attempting to retrofit water cooling to an air cooled engine would be quite a task. There were a few water cooled heads made for air cooled two stroke dirt bikes back in the day, but they marginal at best. Think about it... you would have to figure out a water pump (or rely on the difference in temperature to circulate the water like the old water cooled heads did... again, marginal at best) as well as somehow adding water jackets in the cylinder and head. Then you are going to have to figure out where to hang the radiators.

B,

I was hoping to make the XRL engine water cooled, due to the excessive heat produced by the stock engine.  I would settle for an oil cooler, but was thinking long term cooling.  Recently, my 94 experienced a piston seizure, which scored the cylinder and cylinder wall.  bad enough both will need to be replaced.  Unknown how the engine oil was lost so quickly.  The previous oil was changed about 10 to 15 hours previously. I need to replace the piston, cylinder head and cylinder, so i figured i would do something better?  

I`ve done it on 2 stroke R/C boat engines......it can be done........you cut off all the air cooling fins...then you build an alloy box that will slide down the head and weld it flush so it`s welded just above the head gasket...and extends up to just above the highest part of the head,,then closed off on top with a flat plate.......the enclosure should have an inlet on let`s say the left front of the head and an outlet on the right side of the head..........inbetween the 2 outlets inside the enclosure you have to weld in a wall...so the water must circulate all the way arround the backside of the head to the outlet on the right side of the head..if the wall isn`there the water will go in the left and right out the right without circulating arround the head........

You would have to pull the head and with the valve cover on bore a hole in the right side level with the cam.....then weld a square drive onto the cam to drive an external water pump.....Various offroad bikes have the water pump driven off the cam.......

Selecting a gas tank with decent shrouds to fit the radiator or radiators into would be a little work.......

It can be done.......but not worth the effort for most people...

In radio controlled boats it opens up the possibility of running a pile of different engine options that will get no air cooling due to hull design.......and a water oick-up installed at the transom with a vaccuum powered water pump is easy to install......

B

Edited by brianhare

Why not a hybrid water and air cooled design? Run a copper line through the fins of the cylinder full of coolant that is connected to a radiator and some sort of pump to assist in cooling. I've been thinking about this idea for a while now. Or a set of fans for low speed cooling?

Thanks for all the great ideas. For now, while thinking about time and money and the age of the bike itself, it looks like I will rebuild the engine stock. Maybe throw in a one better piston than stock.

I guess most people would just buy a new bike at this point, but I would rather do it the hard way for the adventure!

Thanks for all the great ideas. For now, while thinking about time and money and the age of the bike itself, it looks like I will rebuild the engine stock. Maybe throw in a one better piston than stock.

I guess most people would just buy a new bike at this point, but I would rather do it the hard way for the adventure!

Pop on a good oil cooler and don`t worry about it.........

B

If the engine was burned due to lack of oil, why is that blamed on an overheated engine.  That's like trying to make a water cooled engine into an air cooled engine because it was run low on water and blew up the engine.