Sign in to follow this  

Hitting Bigger Jumps

Hey guys I've been riding at Pala Raceway in CA for quite a while now. I've been riding on the vet track for the most part but I think I'm ready to move up to the amateur track or pro track. The only thing holding me back is that the jumps are bigger and I don't know how to gauge my speed for bigger jumps I don't want to come up short everytime and I definitely don't want to overshoot it. I was just wondering if you guys have a method of going about hitting those bigger jumps that you aren't comfortable doing yet. Thanks! 

Hey guys I've been riding at Pala Raceway in CA for quite a while now. I've been riding on the vet track for the most part but I think I'm ready to move up to the amateur track or pro track. The only thing holding me back is that the jumps are bigger and I don't know how to gauge my speed for bigger jumps I don't want to come up short everytime and I definitely don't want to overshoot it. I was just wondering if you guys have a method of going about hitting those bigger jumps that you aren't comfortable doing yet. Thanks! 

follow faster riders who are jumping them consistently and smoothly. Don't follow someone who's scrubbing it. Talk to them and see if there's a particular spot on the takeoff that's better than the rest. They probably will have insight that can only be obtained through experience about that particular jump.

when you're ready, follow behind and match their speed. you don't have to hit it the first time you follow him if you feel nervous, you can back out in the last second, just be careful and make sure no one is behind you.

there is a huge difference in difficulty between pala vet and pala main. If all you've ridden is the vet you're no where near ready for the mian. I haven't spent much time on the amature track but i remember the jumps being pretty tame. There are no tricks to hitting jumps, you just have to be comfortable doing it. Go check out some other tracks, perris and milestone have some good size jumps. Other ones to check out are barona and cahuilla.

Edited by Die_trying

It takes a lot of practice time to get comfortable with big jumps. The best way to learn is to get the proper techniques down on easy to clear jumps. Then doing the proper techniques through repetition on these easier type jumps will allow you to develop the skills for the big jumps. Following are the basic techniques for jumping.

The most important part of the jump is where the bike actually leaves the ground, where you have the compression and rebound part of the jump.  What gives you control at this critical part of the jump is your body movements and throttle control.  Along with this body movement and throttle control is timing.  The timing is so critical that the body movement and throttle control has to be an automatic reflex reaction.  This is why it takes so much time and practice to learn to jump well.   Key into the compression and rebound part of the jump, move your body back a little as the rear wheel kicks up and blip the throttle a little at the same time.  This will cause the front wheel to stay level or come up a little.  If the front wheel is too high don’t move back as much or give it as much throttle.  If you want the front end lower it’s just the opposite; don’t blip the throttle as much and don’t move back as much.  When you want to accelerate after the landing it’s best to land with the throttle on. I have 3 Technique DVDs that cover Jumping and Whoops.  You can see free Motocross Technique DVD previews of these and many others at: www.motocrossdvds.com

Until you perfect all these techniques and your jumping is very consistent and controlled I would not try the real big jumps. Just do what you feel confident in doing and over time you will develop the skills needed for all the jumps on the track. In the meantime have fun and ride smart.

The guys you see doing the big jumps out there have more seat time, more experience and more practice than you, so don't try to push it too fast you could just end up being hurt.  You'll know when it's time to pull the trigger on the big jumps. You know it when you feel the confidence. 

DVD_8_frontcover_small.jpg

• Like 1