Leatt braces

Can somebody please explain the differences between the Leatt GPX trail and GPX race neck braces other than the split front? I need to order one but wasn't sure if there's a reason to spend the extra $60 on the "race" version. I haven't been able to find much about them, does anybody have either of them or better yet used both?

Not leatt but i own a atlas . Most people who have a leatt and try on atlas like it atlas better. 

Not leatt but i own a atlas . Most people who have a leatt and try on atlas like it atlas better.

How well does it fit with a roost guard? They look like it wouldn't fit as well.

How well does it fit with a roost guard? They look like it wouldn't fit as well.

Mine fits better then my leatt did.

I have the GPX trail brace and I've tried on the race brace.  They are a little different.  Race has a split front so it doesn't sit directly on your sternum.  The piece that goes along your spine is wider and seems a little more padded.  There seems to be a little more room for flexing and extending your neck.  So, in other words a little less restrictive for moving your helmet around.  If they were both the same price I'd go with the race brace.  Since I already had the GPX I don't really see enough difference to justify getting the brand new brace.

Unless you're really set on having a Leatt, I would try Alpinestars and Atlas before buying.  I have a Leatt GPX Race and I hate it.  See my post "Neck Brace For Big Shoulders" in this section.

Unless you're really set on having a Leatt, I would try Alpinestars and Atlas before buying. I have a Leatt GPX Race and I hate it. See my post "Neck Brace For Big Shoulders" in this section.

I'm not opposed to them, they just don't seem like they would offer as much protection, because of how low they sit. Maybe in a couple weeks I'll go to a shop that has them in. I'm also a smaller guy, 15 years old, 145 lbs and 5'10"

Definitely try on the different ones.  I went looking for the Atlas but just tried on the A-stars and Leatt while I was there.  For me, the Leatt felt the most secure and comfortable so I actually changed my mind and went with it.  I think I have a longer neck so maybe I don't feel as restricted as someone with a shorter neck or wider shoulders.  Bring  your helmet and whatever chest protector you are using because you want to make sure everything fits together well.  Make sure the neck brace sits well on your shoulders and not riding up on a chest protector because then it can be unsafe.

I'm not sure about those braces but I have a EVS RC Evolution neck brace. It fits well with roost guards. I wear mine over my roost guard purposely because then I don't get as much movement and I like that feeling.

Did some more research last night. The Alpinestars and Atlas height can be adjusted with different thickness padding. The Leatt doesn't have this option but offers 3 other adjustments....the angle of the backbone piece, angle of the rear helmet stop, and width of your chest. Unfortunately my Leatt just sits up too high for me (can't turn my head with my helmet). So I will be trying the Alpinestars and Altlas this weekend, and probably selling Leatt GPX Race for a good price. Used once or twice, perfect condition, size large. PM me if interested.

Edited by JFoVStar650