Sign in to follow this  

used 1990 350?

hello, im evan! i just registered here because it seems like there is a lot of people that know a lot more about motorcycles then i do here.

i am interested in purchasing my first dual sport motorcycle. i have been looking on CL for used bikes such as yamaha xts and these drs. i found this http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/mcy/4014557852.html it is a 1990 dr350. the guy says it has an edelbrock carb, but it needs to be adjusted. can anyone tell me if this is worth buying and fixing up? i do not have any experience, mechanically, so is worth buying and having someone fix it up, or just waiting until a bike in better condition shows up. 

thank you!  :goofy:

Edited by evan817

Im pretty sure Eldebrock only made carbs for car or truck motors. My moneys on its a Mikuni like whats on my 90 Dr 350. Personally If I cant hear it run,I run the other way. But for $850 obo....it could need the valves adjusted & maybe a topend kit to get the compression back. At least do a compression test & see what its holding if it doesnt run now. I paid $900 for mine it it runs like a champ, ride it just about everyday back & forth to work.

edelbrock did make carbs for the dr.

i almost bought one for my old 90 dr350.

glad i didnt. people had a hard time getting them

tuned and to work right.

you may wanna keep looking.

even if you decide to get a carb off e-bay,

used carbs usually dont work out either.

a new one will cost almost as much as the bike is worth.

good luck

ah okay. he lowered the price to $700, so im not sure whats wrong. thanks for the replies anyway. i also found a '97 650 that looks pretty good, only thing is, it has a  NM salvage title. the poster said that he does not know why it has a salvage. but the bike has new "plugs, cleaned and oiled air filter, adjusted carburetor, fresh oil change, and new clutch lever". i dont know how to register a salvaged bike even though it looks like its in good condition. http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/mcy/4025802991.html

Edited by evan817

ah okay. he lowered the price to $700, so im not sure whats wrong. thanks for the replies anyway. i also found a '97 650 that looks pretty good, only thing is, it has a NM salvage title. the poster said that he does not know why it has a salvage. but the bike has new "plugs, cleaned and oiled air filter, adjusted carburetor, fresh oil change, and new clutch lever". i dont know how to register a salvaged bike even though it looks like its in good condition. http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/mcy/4025802991.html

I have both a DR350 and a DR650. IMHO the 650 is a better bike if you plan to ride on the street. It can easily travel at freeway speeds whereas the 350 is a bit stressed there. OTOH, the 350 is about 50 lbs lighter so its the better dirt bike.

A salvage title is issued when a "totaled" vehicle is rebuilt and returned to road service. Don't know about NM but in TN salvage titles are registered just like normal titles. However salvage vehicles are worth substantially less their undamaged counterparts and they may not be elgible for collision and comprehensive insurance. It doesn't take much to total a bike but you need to be wary of frame damage.