Sign in to follow this  

144 kit for my yz? Good or bad?

Which one did you get? I heard if it blows up its hard to fix? Would it be better to just buy the kit? Or get my cylinder bored?

I heard if it blows up its hard to fix? Would it be better to just buy the kit? Or get my cylinder bored?

If you blow up a 144 it's no harder or easier to fix than a 125, however a 144 piston kit will set you back about $110  vs $75 for OEM  so a 144 top ends are substantially more money to maintain.  (but a 144 is still cheaper than OEM KTM piston )  :)

Which one did you get? I heard if it blows up its hard to fix? Would it be better to just buy the kit? Or get my cylinder bored?

I used Eric Gorr. Overall I was happy with the result and price. There are a lot of guys in this forum who have done 144's with all sorts of different builders. There is a small amount of material in the cases that needs to be ground off to give proper clearance for the piston. A few guys on here did their own, I had Gorr do mine. It's more than just boring the cylinder, pv needs to be ground, porting needs to be done, it's better done by someone who does these specifically. If it blows up it's no different than rebuilding your 125. Just use a builder that you can order replacement pistons from and you'll be all set. Search this forum and you'll find a ton of info on the 144.

(but a 144 is still cheaper than OEM KTM piston )  :)

Hmmmmm? I knew you'd have an opinion....:)

I was looking at kits on eBay for around 600 comes with cylinder and rings gasket and everything you need. Would this be the best route?

If I'm not mistaken,a little grinding on the cases is required for the larger piston clearance??? Most everyone that has the 144 love's it.

Edited by Alan48

My bike is blown up and cylinder is scratched...looks like I'm just gonna do a rebuild

My bike is blown up and cylinder is scratched...looks like I'm just gonna do a rebuild

If the cylinder is scratched that would be a good time to do the 144 as you are going to have to replate it anyways.

If I do this do you think my bottom end will be okay? My bike is an 03

The 144 kits on the YZ125's  all require you to grind some clearnce material from the front of the engine case for piston clearence.  You need a solid mechanical understanding of 2 stroke engines to sucessfully install and upgrade to a 144 kit.  IMO I think you should simply stick with tried and true OEM 125.

If I do this do you think my bottom end will be okay? My bike is an 03

Only way to tell is to take it apart and see. The internet can only do so much for you, it sounds like you need to take it to a mechanic. And to be honest, the bike is probably only worth about $1000 (that is what I paid for an 03 a couple years ago I had) so you need to decide if it is worth putting $600-800 in it. If everything else is mechanically sound, it might be, but without knowing the bike and seeing it, we can't tell. If the piston broke, it would have went into the bottom end and you will need to get it all out. It may have messed up your powervalve and your head as well.

I sent the cylinder off today I'm gonna stay with the 125...if my power valve is messed up what will it do?

I don't see anything wrong with puttin money into an 03 to make just as good as a newer bike?

• Like 1

I have read about a mlilion reviews on the athena kits and everyone says its not a real noticble change. I heard Eric gorr is the guy to see

I don't see anything wrong with puttin money into an 03 to make just as good as a newer bike?

Me either, my 144 was an 02 and it was a great bike. I sold it this spring, got 2100 bucks for it. I felt like the 5 speed gearbox complimented the 144 personally. I say get a Gorr 144.