Sign in to follow this  

1986 yamaha yz 125

I found a mint condition 1986 yz 125, it was just rebuilt and comes with lots of parts, I could probably get it for 1000. The bike is basically brand new. I'm just wondering if its worth it, would it brake? As long as its a reliable bike I'd be happy. Suggestions?

Are you into vintage bikes or are you just looking for a bike to ride?

just to ride, so far it seems like the best deal I've found yet, the new models are expensive

Up to you but when it does break the parts are gonna be hard to find. Where I'm at I can pick up a late 90s or early 2000s 125 for around 1k all day. Personally I'd get a newer one but I can appreciate the old school cool theory too.

If you know it's a really good bike and you test it out and like it, why not? You're paying at least $1000 less then what another similar bike cost. Just know that essentially it's "worthless". You're never going to get more then $1000 for it, no matter what you do to it. I probably wouldn't do it due to how hard it is to get parts, I'd wait it out. I feel you though, bikes up here are crazy expensive. I lived in New Brunswick my whole life till recently, I sold a very clean 01 KX125 for $2500 which is almost double what they're worth in the states. 

If you know it's a really good bike and you test it out and like it, why not? You're paying at least $1000 less then what another similar bike cost. Just know that essentially it's "worthless". You're never going to get more then $1000 for it, no matter what you do to it. I probably wouldn't do it due to how hard it is to get parts, I'd wait it out. I feel you though, bikes up here are crazy expensive. I lived in New Brunswick my whole life till recently, I sold a very clean 01 KX125 for $2500 which is almost double what they're worth in the states.

yeah, I'm not sure what I'm going to do right now. I'd have to sell my bike first, which I'm still happy with, I was hitting pretty big jumps today and it didn't bottom out at all. I'm gonna think it through. Thanks.

Was the bottom end and transmission re-built or overhauled too?  that would be nice as 125's are hard on bottom ends as high as they rev.  

The 86 YZ125 was not competitive for racing by '88 ,  it was too slow even then, but for the purposes of a  bike to learn on, it wouldn't be bad ---  the soft suspension may be a good thing too

I recently read an old article from Dirt Rider about one of the guys there rebuilding an 86 and running it in a "cheap 125" competition -- was an interesting story  --- if the bike looked as good as that one does and you are handy with a wrench, -- it might be worth a shot since anything newer in your area seems to be big bucks

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/141_0703_buck_25_more_than_spare_change/

/141-0703-125cc-two-stroke-used-bike-rebu

I have an 86 yz 125 and i love it. Its true they are a little slower on top end, my buddy has an 93125 rm and i leave sitting on take off but, when i top out he got another gear left and blows me away. So depends if you want top speed dont get it, if not its a nice bike lots of bottom end power. nice for wellies!!!!