KTM242KTM

Neighbor calls cops on me because of me riding my dirtbike

26 posts in this topic

Today, just like a few other day, my neighbor has either called the cops on me or has talked to me personally. Today he told my brother, which was riding our Polaris rzr to stop riding. Now we have been in many fights with this jackass because he is a little complainer. I currently ride a ktm 350 sxf, which don't get me wrong, it is pretty loud. But I dont think he can tell me what the &%$#@! I can and can do on my own property. He is pretty much telling me I can't continue my riding career because he can't hand the noise and dust. Now I don't always ride right next to his house, I have 10 more acres to ride on. Some people may have the same problem with there neighbors, but I think mine is a little bigger knowing we have over 36,000 dollars invested into riding. Is there anything to know about rights and ordinances for noise and what not. What should I do if he talks (complains)to me again?

2 people like this

Today, just like a few other days, my neighbor has either called the cops on me or has talked to me personally. Today he told my brother, which was riding our Polaris rzr to stop riding. Now we have been in many fights with this jackass because he is a little complainer. I currently ride a ktm 350 sxf, which don't get me wrong, it is pretty loud. But I dont think he can tell me what the &%$#@! I can and cant do on my own property. He is pretty much telling me I can't continue my riding career because he can't handle the noise and dust. Now I don't always ride right next to his house, I have 10 more acres to ride on. Some people may have the same problem with there neighbors, but I think mine is a little bigger knowing we have over 36,000 dollars invested into riding. Is there anything to know about rights and ordinances for noise and what not. What should I do if he talks (complains)to me again?

Well, if you're in a neighborhood, the HOA, and covenants (spelling?) probably say you can not ride on your property.

There are sound ordinances about bikes, and it depends on the area, but most places you either can't ride them at all, or you can ride them for a total of 15 minutes each day (some places have taken into account that there are racers that need to tune/break in their bikes)

He most definitely can not tell you what to do on your own property, but the police most definitely can. 

You actually pretty much answered your own question.  You are right on when saying you need to know the city ordinances.  Land use should be fine: it is your property and you are using it for private use; no heavy environmental damage or problems with ingress/egress (shared entrance and exits).  

The question could be noise and dust like you suggested.  I'm sure somewhere at your city's government office there are sound requirements for certain areas.  You need to find the sound restrictions for where you ride and what times they kick in.  That being said, I highly doubt you are even close to the limit.  These limits tend to be pretty high so semi-trucks, trains etc. can do their thing.  Perhaps if you ride at night it could be a problem.  As for dust.... again I highly doubt you are kicking up enough dirt to be considered "excessive".  Dust and dirt are part of living, and some floating in the air is to be expected.  He may call the cops on you because of "excessive dust", but you will never see a fine for something like that.  Typically, excessive dust is more of a construction issue having to do with environmental impact and sensitivity to areas with children for insurance reasons (i.e. near schools, zoos, amusement parks).

The absolute best thing you can do is know the law in your area.  If I were in this situation I would know the following:

1. dB limit for your area at any given time

2. The average dB level of your bike AT THE DISTANCE from where you ride to his house.

2. Any and all land use restrictions for your plot of land

3. When excessive dust permits are required by the city (construction, recreation, amount of dust?)

4. Who would be responsible for performing the dB or air quality test should it become necessary (don't get duped into paying if you aren't required to)

5. Any other supposed law he may use

In a nutshell, I think the best thing you can do is know WAY more about "Residential Dirt Bike Law" than this guy or even the police officer if one is called.  This way you can sound intelligent, courteous, and calm if you, your neighbor and a police officer ever have to talk it out.  I have found most nit-picky neighbors expect you to back down, concede your position or lose all ability to argue effectively once the law is called; and arguing with each other or yelling at the other party never helps you in the eyes of the cop.  So if you can defend your position by explaining the law while remaining calm, you have a good chance.  If your knowledge and calm attitude infuriate your neighbor to the point of yelling and childish claims, congratulations, you've just won.

If you are within the law (which it sounds like you are) and the police choose not to get involved and he STILL gives you a hard time, then just tell him that he can pay for the environmental testing and foot the bill for a soundproof wall.

**EDIT: This advise based on the 25.5 years I grew up in the USA

Edited by CostaRicaThumper
1 person likes this

Today, just like a few other day, my neighbor has either called the cops on me or has talked to me personally. Today he told my brother, which was riding our Polaris rzr to stop riding. Now we have been in many fights with this jackass because he is a little complainer. I currently ride a ktm 350 sxf, which don't get me wrong, it is pretty loud. But I dont think he can tell me what the &%$#@! I can and can do on my own property. He is pretty much telling me I can't continue my riding career because he can't hand the noise and dust. Now I don't always ride right next to his house, I have 10 more acres to ride on. Some people may have the same problem with there neighbors, but I think mine is a little bigger knowing we have over 36,000 dollars invested into riding. Is there anything to know about rights and ordinances for noise and what not. What should I do if he talks (complains)to me again?

I'de be pissed too if somebody was riding his LOUD bike back and forth next door.

Why don't you try being a good neighbor and quiet the thing down at least? I'm on 10 acres and my kids ride at home a lot. Their bikes are VERY quiet. Not because they HAVE to be, but because it's the right thing to do. I've never once had a complaint from any of my neighbors and none of them are into offroad.

Pissing off the general public with your dirtbike is what gets EVERYONE in trouble for noise.

If you don't already know the local laws and rules... your neighbor will make sure you learn them pretty soon......

Edited by motochris
9 people like this

The cops came? and if so what did they do? they should know the laws and should tell you them and if you don't fine you or let you go about your business.

I had neighbors like this... real piece of work... moved in across the street and then called the cops because we were riding our bikes on our property, the cop was a friend of the family and later on told us the whole story... basically told him...HAHA what are you calling the cops for? breaking the law on their land? 

We lived way out on the country side no laws against riding during normal hours... so we couldn't ride tell an hour after sun up and hour before sun down. whatever that meant but we just played it safe and rode during the middle part of the day... again the cops were on our side so not really worried. On Sundays it was a little tighter which sucked because back then weekends were it, when I was a kid.

I don't know about your neighbor but I normally don't like to piss off mine.... this one was the opposite... didn't care. we would do just about anything we could to get his blood pressure up!

All and all.... figure out the laws... call the local police and ask... cant hurt ;)

Edited by nickbaldwin86

We had a local track (outside of city limits and in the middle of farm country on private land) that was forced to close because of dust and noise, even after it was turned into a private, invite only track. (Annoying neighbors were the cause of this too.)

I would stand your ground with him, and definitley take the above advice of learning all the laws and regulations for your particular area, but I wouldn't just assume since it is on your land they can't destroy your whole world.

I would make an attempt to quiet down the bike.  The guy might be a dick but I can see why that would piss him off. 

3 people like this

did you get a means to water the track for your $36k? if not then you might look into it. dust has gotten many private tracks closed down. 

1 person likes this

Cops dont know laws, they know crime, lawyers know law. I see one in your future.

2 people like this

I ride my bike in my yard a lot and it's loud, but my neighbours never complained because of it. Only complained once and said she heard a woman get shot in my yard, but I only shot a capgun. And another time saying an alien landed in my yard. yup, definitely a nutjob. 

1 person likes this

I ride my bike in my yard a lot and it's loud, but my neighbours never complained because of it. Only complained once and said she heard a woman get shot in my yard, but I only shot a capgun. And another time saying an alien landed in my yard. yup, definitely a nutjob. 

Lots of aliens in yards down here. 

You better learn all you can about your town ordinances in a hurry. One complaint to the right person in your town and your slapped with a cease and desist. Lawyers get involved and that 36k climbs to 50k in the blink of an eye. Better to make an amicable riding schedule with your neighbor. Remember every track that was ever shut down was on someone's "own property". 

Put up a tall wooden fence near your property line facing your neighbor. If not that get a silencer with a spark arrestor to lessen the sound a little. I've had many problems with neighbors when riding but I've moved from my old place.

Put up a tall wooden fence near your property line facing your neighbor. If not that get a silencer with a spark arrestor to lessen the sound a little. I've had many problems with neighbors when riding but I've moved from my old place.

You better learn all you can about your town ordinances in a hurry. One complaint to the right person in your town and your slapped with a cease and desist. Lawyers get involved and that 36k climbs to 50k in the blink of an eye. Better to make an amicable riding schedule with your neighbor. Remember every track that was ever shut down was on someone's "own property". 

Keeping these two things in mind...it would be a lot less expensive to appease your neighbor and quiet things down than to deal with lawyers. I am an enthusiast like the rest of us and I wouldn't want a dirtbike blasting around next door either. 10 acres isn't that much of a barrier when you are talking about dirtbikes.

It may be worth a try to get the AMA involved if you are a member.

A letter explaining your legal rights to ride from a law firm would probably go a long ways too....assuming you are within legal db limits and hours of operation.

But the angry landowner could get ordinances enacted to his favor so I would do your best to appease him...Take the race silencer off and try to ride when he is not home. Plus do not have friends over to ride.

Well i understand your point exactly and I use to have a jackass for a nieghbor myself. It got so bad the one day I called the cops becuase of his harassments. That went a long way in my favor when he filed a noise complaint and we seen the judge!! The judge dismissed the case and fined him all leagel cost for both sides. This was back in the late 70's and times have changed but It was funny watching him melt down in court and he ended up getting 10 days for back talking to the judge!! It took all I had not to laugh out loud in court when this happened. The guy moved with in two months and we ended up getting a good neighbor that had motorsport toys who we rode with for 8 years before we both moved in different directions.

Well i understand your point exactly and I use to have a jackass for a nieghbor myself. It got so bad the one day I called the cops becuase of his harassments. That went a long way in my favor when he filed a noise complaint and we seen the judge!! The judge dismissed the case and fined him all leagel cost for both sides. This was back in the late 70's and times have changed but It was funny watching him melt down in court and he ended up getting 10 days for back talking to the judge!! It took all I had not to laugh out loud in court when this happened. The guy moved with in two months and we ended up getting a good neighbor that had motorsport toys who we rode with for 8 years before we both moved in different directions.

It will be real tough to find a judge sympathetic to your cause in 2013. 

I'de be pissed too if somebody was riding his LOUD bike back and forth next door.

Why don't you try being a good neighbor and quiet the thing down at least? I'm on 10 acres and my kids ride at home a lot. Their bikes are VERY quiet. Not because they HAVE to be, but because it's the right thing to do. I've never once had a complaint from any of my neighbors and none of them are into offroad.

Pissing off the general public with your dirtbike is what gets EVERYONE in trouble for noise.

If you don't already know the local laws and rules... your neighbor will make sure you learn them pretty soon......

Unfortunately once your kids go above a crf 230 bikes get loud. I still had neighbours complain about my crf 230 and i was riding way off in the bush. And if its in his backyard its not pissing off the general public, just one guy who doasint like bikes

Unfortunately once your kids go above a crf 230 bikes get loud. I still had neighbours complain about my crf 230 and i was riding way off in the bush. And if its in his backyard its not pissing off the general public, just one guy who doasint like bikes

That's not true. You can quiet down a bike considerably. The OP even said his bike is LOUD. That's very fixable.

I have a 450x with a Powerbomb and Q series silencer that is very quiet as long as you aren't ringing it's guts out.

You are missing the point about "pissing off the general public"..... everyone that isn't into offroad bikes is the "general public". You don't have to piss a lot of them off to have trouble, you just need to piss a few off enough for them to go to the city council or whatever and make a big deal about it. Then we ALL catch crap as being "those loud, obnoxious dirt bikers".

When I lived in a housing development, we had a big dirt lot nearby. There were times when clueless, obnoxious kids would go race up and down that dirt lot on the loudest 250f's you could imagine. You could hear it for blocks from in your house. Mind you... there was no track there or anything....just dumbasses racing back and forth doing nothing but making a shitload of dust and tons of noise.

I would cringe every time I heard that...KNOWING everyone else that could hear it was badmouthing dirt bike riders in general.

One loud uncaring dumbass can affect ALL of us...