Which tank - sorry, I know this is somewhere, couldn't find it!

Should be picking up a new drz400s this week - let the add ons begin!

First, tank.

Seems like most have the Clarke or IMS.  I want clear and somebody wrote that the IMS puts the weight lower?  Also, what is the most plug and play tank?

thanks

Should be picking up a new drz400s this week - let the add ons begin!

First, tank.

Seems like most have the Clarke or IMS. I want clear and somebody wrote that the IMS puts the weight lower? Also, what is the most plug and play tank?

thanks

i dont know what tank. But avoid clear tanks they stain and look horrid

well this is a clarke 3.9. cant get it in a clear, i know that for sure. but opening the cap you can see the fuel level super easy. my father has a black one and can never see the fuel

there was supposed to be a pic. cant upload right now sorry. clarke is a good tank imo

there was supposed to be a pic. cant upload right now sorry. clarke is a good tank imo

Thats OK about the pic, there are a lot on line.  I'm leaning towards the ims 4 gallon, seems like the ergs are better.  Waiting to hear back from Seat Concepts to see if there are any fitment problems with that tank.

if you do get a tank, i would grab a manual petcock while your at it. good peice of mind.

I have the clark 3.9 they do make it in clear because thats what I have. the color is actualy called natural. Mine is a year old and has not stained yet. they probably stain faster if the bike lives out in the sun. Mine is garage kept.

The Clarke 3.9l is super easy to install. The stock petcock can be used without the spacer. It mounts like the stock tank with the addition of a wire brace that runs across the front of the tank once it has been seated on the frame and secures with two screws.

I have a blue one and can see the fuel level through the open cap no problem. I like the look of the stock better and use it most of the time. I swap out the Clarke if I'm going to be putting on some miles. It's really that easy. I should get a second petcock then there would be no exchange of parts for the swap.

The Clarke 3.9l is super easy to install. The stock petcock can be used without the spacer. It mounts like the stock tank with the addition of a wire brace that runs across the front of the tank once it has been seated on the frame and secures with two screws.

I have a blue one and can see the fuel level through the open cap no problem. I like the look of the stock better and use it most of the time. I swap out the Clarke if I'm going to be putting on some miles. It's really that easy. I should get a second petcock then there would be no exchange of parts for the swap.

Forgot to mention I didn't notice a difference in handling even with the additional weight of the extra fuel.

I have no personal experience with the IMS, but a buddy had one on his WR450F and liked it.

i dont know what tank. But avoid clear tanks they stain and look horrid

Snake oil....... :p

Both these bikes have the "horrid" clear IMS 3.2 gal tanks..... :rolleyes:

DSC02340.jpg

Snake oil....... :p

Both these bikes have the "horrid" clear IMS 3.2 gal tanks..... :rolleyes:

Posted Image

well i had one on a bike and it had yellow stains inside after a year. Is it possible to put a fuel gauge on the drz?

well i had one on a bike and it had yellow stains inside after a year. Is it possible to put a fuel gauge on the drz?

Ok that sucks... ....the E has 3 years on that IMS tank, all good..... it has a built in fuel gauge by looking at the outside.......  :jawdrop:

Clark 3.9 and I love it! 260km without going on the reserve. Did not notice any difference from stock tank in handling and weight. Its very easy to install and I posted a picture of the stock petcock and fuel line without the spacer.

1377650944420.jpg

1377651110169.jpg

My old clarke natural tank yellowed, but that was because I let gas sit in it for a year after I cracked the engine case before I got around to rebuilding the motor.  My friend has had his clarke natural tank since the beginning of 2008, with the bike being stored outside for 4 of those years, and it has yet to yellow.  He does run AV gas a lot of the time though, so that may have something to do with it.

My old clarke natural tank yellowed, but that was because I let gas sit in it for a year after I cracked the engine case before I got around to rebuilding the motor.  My friend has had his clarke natural tank since the beginning of 2008, with the bike being stored outside for 4 of those years, and it has yet to yellow.  He does run AV gas a lot of the time though, so that may have something to do with it.

The corn juice may help with the yellowing more quickly than non corn juice fuel..... :D