Sign in to follow this  

12 oz flywheel wheelwright!

Hi

I am going to by a fly wheel weight for 99 rm250, I did a enduro the weekend and learnt the hard way that my bike likes to stall in in technical sections resulting me ending up on my arse about 10 times during the race:(

Basically what I'm asking is a 12oz to heavy and is there any other ways to tame my bike down? Any help would be really appreciated :)

didn't know they made a 12oz. I have a 10oz and it made a big difference in traction,but didn't notice any difference in stalling. I don't stall that much tho. An auto clutch will give some flywheel weight and obviously it will not stall.

When I first got My 04 250 I rode MX without a FFW, and the bike use to die when I slid into a tight turn,, after I put a 10zer on it that fixed that problem,,,I don't know how the 12ozer will work,,but its better than no FFw at all........Dr.D..

I was thinking about a fww on my RM as well. Then I said screw it, and tossed a Rekluse in it, along with a billet basket. I saved about $150 not buying the fww, and put it towards the Rekluse set up. Money well saved, and spent imo.

I was thinking about a fww on my RM as well. Then I said screw it, and tossed a Rekluse in it, along with a billet basket. I saved about $150 not buying the fww, and put it towards the Rekluse set up. Money well saved, and spent imo.

I wonder if Anybody runs a FWW and a Recluse combination,,,or is that possible,,,I've rode bikes with a Recluse, and they do seem to work good,,,,,,,hows everything in Ontario,,,is the weather hot or cold.........Dr.D..

Weather right now is warm, and humid. LOTS of rain, and cooler temps this year in SW Ont. We got ripped off this summer. No need to run a fww with a Rekluse, and they recommend not to run one as well

So should I go with the flywheel weight or the auto clutch??

Mine is an 05. I personally just like the FWW. On my rmz's I like the auto clutch in them,but when I tried it on the rm250-it didn't feel right. On a 2 stroke I like to use the clutch a lot. Its really personal preference. Now,here's the catch..if you buy a Rekluse and Dont like it,it will be easy to sell because of fits a lot of rm250's as well as most rmz450. The flywheel weight is cheaper-think I paid $100 for the 10oz on my rm250. If you Dont like to use the clutch or keep a finger on the lever-get a Rekluse. If you like to use the clutch alot-get a FWW. The FWW will let it pull lower rpm and will smooth power. If your clutch basket is notched-definitely replace it.

I read Today in motocross action magazine that a lot of People think that FWWs are only used by woods riders, but, the actual truth is that most works bikes for MX have FWWs,,,,,I've heard it many times before that the 10ozer is perfect for the RM250,,,and I do believe it, because it works great on My 04,,,fits like a glove on OJ Simpson,,,,,,thats My story, and I'm sticking to it.........Dr.D..

Thanks for the advise, just ordered a 10 oz and should be here soon, will let you know how I get on with it, was going to order a fmf gnarly with a shorty pipe as well, will that help things as well ? Or am I just waisting money?

P1010970.jpg

Stay with the stock pipe,,it's fine, I put a Q-stealth FMF spark arrester muffler on it just so I could race in National Forest's,,,,,,concentrate on jetting the bike just right to where You can achive that roll-on power delivery,,,,,,I know it takes time to jet a bike just right,,,but,,,it's worth it................Dr.D..