Sign in to follow this  

13t counter sprocket install questions

I removed the sprocket cover this weekend to see what might be involved in replacing my oem 14t with the ever popular 13t.

I see two small bolts that will need removal, but once those are gone, what's the process for removing the sprocket?  I assume that it won't simply pull out by hand. 

I just unbolted the two bolts and slide out the retaining ring. After that just wiggle it out and slide the now one on. Pretty simple.

• Like 1

About a 10-15 min install... Loosen rear axle nut, loosen chain and push wheel forward to give yourself plenty of room to work. Remove front sprocket cover, remove 2 sprocket bolts, turn sprocket retaining ring and remove. Pull sprocket off and then replace with the new one.

• Like 1

Don't forget to check your chain slack once you are done.. Mine was already slack and the 13T made it even more slack. I didn't even have to loosen the back wheel to pull the sprocket out at first. ;)

• Like 1

Should the bike be in gear while removing/installing the bolts?

Should the bike be in gear while removing/installing the bolts?

NO.... I would have someone hold the rear brake pedal down ....

NO.... I would have someone hold the rear brake pedal down ....

Or you can just go on the right side of the bike, push the brake with your foot and lean over and unscrew the two bolts. That's what I did worked great. No help needed! :-D

• Like 2

why wouldn't u just leave it in gear ?  I do

it's not like your going to tourque anything more than the motor will 

the bike doesn't even try to roll using this method for Me

Yea I just left it in gear with no problems they only small so not much torque needed

Edited by rawlove123

Finally got the 13T sprocket installed.  Wasn't too much trouble, did it by myself in about 15 minutes. 

I know my speedometer is off now.  I would like to know by about how much.  It looks to be reading faster than I am actually going.  Is there an estimate of about how much it is off by? 5-9mph? 

I realize there is a speedo calibrator that you can buy and install, which I may get later on, but for now just curious how much it's off by.

Finally got the 13T sprocket installed.  Wasn't too much trouble, did it by myself in about 15 minutes. 

I know my speedometer is off now.  I would like to know by about how much.  It looks to be reading faster than I am actually going.  Is there an estimate of about how much it is off by? 5-9mph? 

I realize there is a speedo calibrator that you can buy and install, which I may get later on, but for now just curious how much it's off by.

This link will show you .... http://goo.gl/ubT61U

• Like 1

Just installed mine after installing some Kenda Track master 2s. I went with Renthal 368--520-13P which  what they recommend as an OEM replacement. I must say I do find it noiser with out the rubber dampening on the stock. I went for a quick run around the block and I can definitely tell its gruntier in first. A badly adjusted and lubricated chain made me double check my work but everything looks fine. 

• Like 2