Sign in to follow this  

K&N Air Filter

Every where I've read the k&n sucks off road I went with the uni, can't complain

K&N makes a great product but they do not work well in dusty conditions. Something about the oiled fabric just clogs.

I've been using a No-Toil for years just washing and re-oiling it with some regularity. Someone posted on here not to long ago with a No-Toil that fell apart but I've not experienced that. Several of my dirt riding buddies also use No-Toil successfully.

Uni and Twin Air are good too. The oiled foam style are better performers in the dusty off road conditions.

How should I go about cleaning the stock foam filter?

I have a K&N cleaning kit from my last bike but I don't know if that will work. The filter oil that comes with it says to use with K&N gauze filters.

I use gas to clean mine ring it out blow it out with air tank then oil it up

Gas does a good job .. BUT , it will ruin your filter and it has a low flash point .. Obviously

i know it still has a low Flash point, but what about 2 smoker gas is it just as bad for filter?

K&N makes a great product but they do not work well in dusty conditions. Something about the oiled fabric just clogs.

I've been using a No-Toil for years just washing and re-oiling it with some regularity. Someone posted on here not to long ago with a No-Toil that fell apart but I've not experienced that. Several of my dirt riding buddies also use No-Toil successfully.

Uni and Twin Air are good too. The oiled foam style are better performers in the dusty off road conditions.

Which no-toil fits the DRZ? Looking at the thumperstore there is a ton of different ones.

Also how often do you clean it?

I have used K & N for years but after moving to Baja not thrilled with them because of tendency to pass through really fine silica dust into the carb-definitely a pre-filter is needed. A good foam filter keeps the dust out but  you need to be religious about maintaining the filter! :naughty:

i know it still has a low Flash point, but what about 2 smoker gas is it just as bad for filter?

The presence of fuel is still in the Mix , the fuel attacks the foam and the glue . Opening the pores of the foam and allowing more crap to come into contact with the moving parts inside your motor .

Which no-toil fits the DRZ? Looking at the thumperstore there is a ton of different ones.

Also how often do you clean it?

Link to the No-Toil specific to the DRZ S model...

https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/No-Toil-Foam-Air-Filter-270-04-p4144333.html

I got mine through Motosport.com. There are pre-oiled ready to go packages also.

I've been meaning to get a second of the above and have one in the bike and one that is cleaned, oiled and stored in a zip loc bag to be swapped at the next oil change.

I clean and oil with every oil change.

Link to the No-Toil specific to the DRZ S model...

https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/No-Toil-Foam-Air-Filter-270-04-p4144333.html

I got mine through Motosport.com. There are pre-oiled ready to go packages also.

I've been meaning to get a second of the above and have one in the bike and one that is cleaned, oiled and stored in a zip loc bag to be swapped at the next oil change.

I clean and oil with every oil change.

Awesome, and great idea for having the spare! 

Do you clean by soaking in luke warm water with some soap? Re-Oil with what exactly?

Awesome, and great idea for having the spare!

Do you clean by soaking in luke warm water with some soap? Re-Oil with what exactly?

Warm water and the No-Toil biodegradable cleaner. Soak it for a few hours and then wring it out a few times. It'll be obvious when its clean.

Let the filter dry, usually over night, and use the No-Toil spray oil to apply a few coats of oil.

I picked up the cleaner and oil at a local shop but Motosport.com and Mororcylesuperstore.com have it also.

Just be patient when re-oiling the filter. To much oil and it'll just run out into the airbox and make a mess. It can even run out the bottom hole and get all over the swing arm. I usually give the filter a bit of a squeeze after oiling to get rid of the excess.

A lot of people also forget to grease the base of their filter, which is probably fine for SM's, but for dirt riding I would recommend it.  If you are lazy like me and don't like to grease the base, this product has worked out very well for me  http://www.pcracingusa.com/ProSeal_c_19.html  .  It even keeps out the superfine sand!  I am also a big fan of the whole no-toil biodegradable product line.  I have been using it since about 2003 with great success.  No crazy toxic smell and the oil comes right off your hands if you just put keep the cleaning solution bath until after you install the filter.

• Like 1

A lot of people also forget to grease the base of their filter, which is probably fine for SM's, but for dirt riding I would recommend it. If you are lazy like me and don't like to grease the base, this product has worked out very well for me http://www.pcracingusa.com/ProSeal_c_19.html . It even keeps out the superfine sand! I am also a big fan of the whole no-toil biodegradable product line. I have been using it since about 2003 with great success. No crazy toxic smell and the oil comes right off your hands if you just put keep the cleaning solution bath until after you install the filter.

Good call! I hate the sealer stuff as I always seem to make a mess of it. I'm going to try one of those seals.