Sign in to follow this  

Ktm reliability?

I'm looking at 250 2 strokes and the ktm seems to be superior except for 2 things, reliability and suspension. I'm wondering if there's a problem. I've seen a lot of ktm 85's break and I know a guy who's linkage snapped.

I don't know. I've had my 2012 250SX for 8 months now, and I'm selling it. It's a blast to ride - It hammers and handles awesome. And I love the tunability of the motor.  But I'm sick of the mechanical attention it has needed. Just dumb stuff like the leaky countershaft seal, shifter claw mod (still misses third), weeping inner clutch gaskets (my breakfast cerial box gasket works better than the OEM ones), sticky kick starter, harsh forks - bought the shock pump and needle and serviced them and they're no better, Air box is always full of crud, seat cover and foam perishing, frame rusting under the plastic covers, Exhaust pipe needing constant welding.... I'm sure there's more that doesn't spring to mind.

I just want to ride my bike, clean it, put it away, then ride it again.   I'd say get a Yamaha YZ250 and put a PC pipe on it, oversized front rotor, and you're on a par with better reliability. 

• Like 1

Ya gotter all backasswards my friend. Up until 10 they were NOT the superior bike the yz 250 was. Reliability has never been a real issue with ktms. The have their quirks like all bikes but like all manufacturers a decent noninvasive maintenance program keeps them humming along.

My 11 has something like 150hrs of racing alone on it. 3 top ends. Changed oil after shifting got notchy. As a long time Yamaha guy I can honestly say this bike has surprised me how well its built. Even down to how long it takes for the levers to get rattly.

I don't know. I've had my 2012 250SX for 8 months now, and I'm selling it. It's a blast to ride - It hammers and handles awesome. And I love the tunability of the motor.

But I'm sick of the mechanical attention it has needed. Just dumb stuff like the leaky countershaft seal, shifter claw mod (still misses third), weeping inner clutch gaskets (my breakfast cerial box gasket works better than the OEM ones), sticky kick starter, harsh forks - bought the shock pump and needle and serviced them and they're no better, Air box is always full of crud, seat cover and foam perishing, frame rusting under the plastic covers, Exhaust pipe needing constant welding.... I'm sure there's more that doesn't spring to mind.

I just want to ride my bike, clean it, put it away, then ride it again.   I'd say get a Yamaha YZ250 and put a PC pipe on it, oversized front rotor, and you're on a par with better reliability. 

I have had the same "quirks" as in bold above.  Not too also mention lame starter (which has supposedly been fixed in 14 ... along with the weak gaskets.

I really like the bike, but have to agree on the issues above ...  I think of them more as quirks, than reliability 

Unfortunately there is really no "real" competition anymore to 250/300 smokers.  I would love to see a modified YZ250 or CR250 setup for woods gets released by the Jap companies, but am not holding my breath.  I'll be long retired from the riding scene before this ever happens .  :thumbsup:

Edited by supervokes

I have 3000 miles on my 13 300 and have had no real issues to speak of. The only thing beyond fluids, rubber, pads, and air filters has been a leaking counter shaft seal. Took me ~40 mintues (30 of which were spent getting the ring clip off and then back on).

I would pass on the KTM. They are for more passionate racers

I race... I'm a slow b rider

And this one snapped in half!

That video has been rehashed so many times since it was posted 3 years ago. If this was a common problem there would be a lot of videos and posts about the problem. Using this video as evidence of KTM reliability is analogous to hearing that your cousin's friend's father's brother-in-law's bar buddy's ex-wife's kid's teacher's husband's Ford engine imploded and therefore all Fords are unreliable junk.

Edited by Badunit
  • Like 1

That video has been rehashed so many times since it was posted 3 years ago. If this was a common problem there would be a lot of videos and posts about the problem. Using this video as evidence of KTM reliability is analogous to hearing that your cousin's friend's father's brother-in-law's bar buddy's ex-wife's kid's teacher's husband's Ford engine imploded and therefore all Fords are unreliable junk.

A healthy dose of sarcasm was implied with posting that video.

I currently own four KTM's; 07' 125SX (280hrs), 07' 144SX (168hrs), 09' Duke 690 (8k miles) and 13' 250SXF (85hrs)

I've had issues with each of them, but nothing major, nothing basic mechanical expertise couldn't resolve.

What I've learned about KTM's vs the Japanese brands is quite simple. KTM's can be more fragile and require more attention to detail when cleaning and maintaining. Little things like air filter seating, can really bite your ass on a KTM if you're not careful and it causes a downward spiral which can eventually destroy the motor. A lot of dirt bike riders, wanna swing their leg over the bike and go ride, they don't think about the consequences of a dirty air filter or even bad oil in the gearbox.

Anyway, I've been very happy with my KTM's. But that is my personal experience and I do ride quick enough to keep them cool, I do have a lot of mechanical experience to deal with the maintenance and I also love/ride my bikes, they don't sit in my garage collecting dust. I've met plenty of people whose stories weren't so rosy. But I'm happy to be a KTM owner and considering every 2 wheeled vehicle in my garage says KTM on it, you'd think I'm pretty satisfied as well! :)

A healthy dose of sarcasm was implied with posting that video.

Time to remove my foot from my mouth I guess.

I'm looking at 250 2 strokes and the ktm seems to be superior except for 2 things, reliability and suspension. I'm wondering if there's a problem. I've seen a lot of ktm 85's break and I know a guy who's linkage snapped.

I purchased a new 2009 250xc. Very reliable although I did have the pipe crack as well as the countershaft leaking. Suspension is JUNK, even after a re-valve and re-spring.

• Like 1

I have a 12 250sx. I love it but compared to a yz250 it has it some positives and negatives. Motor goes to the ktm but suspension goes to the Yamaha. I don't think the ktm will ever compare to the SSS forks. Reliability I think is great.  I never had any major problems with my ktm. Just normal linkage bearing wear, and air filter maintenance. I heard some having problems with shifting. I never had any. I went to an FMF pipe right away so no pipe cracking for me.

• Like 1

That video has been rehashed so many times since it was posted 3 years ago. If this was a common problem there would be a lot of videos and posts about the problem. Using this video as evidence of KTM reliability is analogous to hearing that your cousin's friend's father's brother-in-law's bar buddy's ex-wife's kid's teachehell r's husband's Ford engine imploded and therefore all Fords are unreliable junk.

There are a lot of old KTMs out there with those triple clamps  & I have only seen this failure, so I m pretty sure the poor sap in the video probably over torqued the bolts or put in the wrong bolts or crashed........... just keep an eye open for cracks lol..............

My 1999 ktm 250 exc is still going strong...

My neighbor just bought his kid a 2000 KTM 200.  The kid that sold it just paid to have the top and bottom end done because he screwed up installing the air filter and it sucked in a crap load of our famous Michigan sand.  Runs like a swiss watch now.  The work was done by a well known guy that runs a small KTM shop and if he did it, you know it's done right.

My 2009 300 has 190 hrs of trail  riding and dual sport, don't know how many miles that is, but I'm still on my original top end.  The only problem I had was after the first winter storage, the bearing in the starter froze up.  Less than $20 and I replaced the bearing and did the et mod on it, switched out the stock battery bor a 7amp and I've been trouble free since 2010.

I don't know anyone that's had issues with a KTM, except for people that buy older used and thrashed bikes.  YOu can't blame poor maintainence on KTM for that.  There's a lot fo KTMs in my DS club and I've never seen anyone not return from a 120+mile loop, not once.

Haters gonna hate. :lol:

Edited by EXxrldtgnow300dtg

If you are talking about a 6.0l ford diesel, then yup they are all junk