Sign in to follow this  

Get what you pay for? (Helmets)

Are helmets really worth it, is it worth 899 for a troy lee designs helmet, considering a 300 dollar fox is made of the same materials (maybe not of the same qaulity material), is it worth forking out the extra dollars for an expensive helmet, since it is your head your protecting?

~Jake~

I personally would say no.

Now, my next helmet, I want to get one that has a Dual Density EPS liner (I currently run an HJC SPX Contact helmet !B)Sf3ewBmk~$(KGrHqMOKjUEwMVZmtIEBMM2PN6

I always look for SNELL certification.  

That said, I would like to look into a Shoei VFX-W or Fox V4 helmet as my next one.

Take a look at the pricing difference of a Shoei VFX-W in white or black, and then a "graphic" colored one.   White/Black - $417.99 at Rocky Mountain,  Graphics  - $550+.

Graphics alone are not worth $140 to me!   Troy Lee, I'm thinking you are paying A LOT for the special Troy Lee color schemes.

I'm not into buying these $79.00 DOT approved helmets......

Edited by DethWshBkr_

I dont agree with this theory on helmets. Each helmet has to meet a DOT specification, My last 2 helmets have been One industries my current helmet only cost me $135. Im not saying the shoei's dont look nicer or the paint doesnt holdup better im just saying that One industries, fox, hjc, etc. they all have to meet the same DOT standards as Shoei, Arai, 6D etc. They are just more expensive.

I'd have to differ with some of you,I currently run a Shoei after getting a concussion in a lower level One Industries helmet a few years back. Yes,while all the helmets do meet the DOT standard,who's to say what that standard is? The Shoei and Arai are met to the DOT standards and SNELL standards are far more rigorous,so if you ask me,you're head is worth a Shoei,Arai,or a 6D,wouldn't trust a fox V4 though.

• Like 1

I buy a good helmet for $150.00 every few years, unless I take a major blow to the head then I get a new one before I ride again. 

Right now I have the Fox V2 helmet, I like it.  I'm not jumping, so spending $800 on a helmet is out of the question.

Hmm, if I had a brain worth protecting then I might consider spending like 300, untill my brain becomes useful I will not buy a dear one.

anything dot and snell approved is fine $100 - 200 anything over that is over spending for a name.

• Like 1

If you spend over $200 on a Chinese made helmet, you probably paid too much.

• Like 1

once you can reach this approvals, there is no way to exceed them.. thanks man, im selling my shoei

no problem man, and sure you can always exceed a standard but that dosent always mean your product is going to perform x amount better, a $999 helmet is not going to protect you 10 times better than a $99 helmet. but if you have the cash to spend 600+ on a hemet go for it, but average person dosent need to. 

Edited by ekulb14
  • Like 1

Cheap helmet equals cheap materials. Good material cost money. Soooo good materials equals somewhat of a difference in price. For those that don't understand just buy the cheapo because there is not much to protect.lol

A few companys make the shells used in many different brand.  Same with the styrofoam that does all the impact work.  What your usually paying for is the interior and the paint job.  If you know the system you can order replacement good interior for your cheapskate shell and drive it in primer, LOL.  

I have a HJC XL-C6 or something like that....it's Snell M2005 and M2010 approved, so it's definitely a good helmet. only about 100 bucks. 

Has the same test rating as a shoei. Now....does that mean it's as good of a helmet? No, the shoei's gonna be way more comfortable, and look cooler. But.....pick your priorities.

• Like 1

You could just be lucky enough to get a new vfxw for $350 like i did. After crashing in a $200 msr helmet and then a shoei, i can tell you that you get what you pay for with helmets.

• Like 1