Is the XR400 the best bike ever made?

I think it is.

I think it is.

No other bike ever made does as many things right, this includes reliability and longevity,  as the XR. :ride:  It's in a class all its own!

Edited by Brewster Two

Hell yeah

I sure don't plan on getting rid of mine.

YES. it is universal and timeless. In fact I figured out why I liked XR's so much.

In 1972 HONDA introduced the XL250. a SOHC 4 valve head that was heavy and made 18HP.  Now 41 years later they still exist and are running in many different forms from stock to exotic.  That first XL - begot our beloved XR's. 

No, the old XR600 kicks its' ass in every respect.....and.....the 600 is not the best bike ever made either.

Edited by creeky

I would say that the XR650R is a great bike, not sure if it is the best (subjective matter)

It is the "best bike" for my needs.

I have one through several KTMs and Huskys over the years. But the XR400 has been a constant and is now my sole ride.

R

absolutely... if you just want to ride...

Best four stroke, I think so. KTM and Husaberg may have it beat if you have any room in your heart for a ring dinger. 

Could there be a better bike currently made with an XR4 engine? Absolutely. Update the suspension, flatten the seat and get the COG a little lower, E-start and a pumper carb, all under a factory warranty, now you're talking!   :thumbsup:

Best four stroke, I think so. KTM and Husaberg may have it beat if you have any room in your heart for a ring dinger. 

Could there be a better bike currently made with an XR4 engine? Absolutely. Update the suspension, flatten the seat and get the COG a little lower, E-start and a pumper carb, all under a factory warranty, now you're talking!   :thumbsup:

You mean like a 450X frame with a 400 motor? That would be cooool.

You mean like a 450X frame with a 400 motor? That would be cooool.

I guess I did just describe a 450X, huh?  :smirk:

Agreed!

No, the old XR600 kicks its' ass in every respect.....and.....the 600 is not the best bike ever made either.

I had a 1996 XR600R and can say hands down, the 400 handles better and is easier to work on. Although, it is NOT as fast. My 1996 XR600R went 110 stock. I would blow up my XR400r trying to go that fast!

The xr4 is in a class of its own,its the best all round do everything play bike.After having a fleet of honda Xs,KTMs,Husashits.They dont even come close.BTR

No. Too slow and heavy.

Yes. Best bike ever if you like riding more and working on them less. Bulletproof engine, good brakes and suspension, will go anywhere you dare to take it. I love mine and plan on NEVER selling it! 

I will say that it is the best bike ever for what it was designed for.

its very good at what it does and how it does it.  But there is no best bike.   It like a AK-47, it just works, no matter what.

Many bikes beat it on paper, but few beat it on soul.

its very good at what it does and how it does it.  But there is no best bike.   It like a AK-47, it just works, no matter what.

Many bikes beat it on paper, but few beat it on soul.

Although many weapons beat the Ak for everything but reliability. Even the lowly AR.