Is the XR400 the best bike ever made?

I would think the cam lobes and rocker surface would wear much more quickly than the cam bearings if starved of oil. Cam bearings would be next.

Nope its always the cam journals they are part of the head and expensive to repair most just put on a new head

I would think the cam lobes and rocker surface would wear much more quickly than the cam bearings if starved of oil. Cam bearings would be next.

Yeah probably, just a guessing game until you take the valve cover off.

Nope its always the cam journals they are part of the head and expensive to repair most just put on a new head

Oh does the XR head use plain bearings? I've only seen bikes with ball bearings

Late to the forum as usual but a more recent XR250 is hard to beat(Hello Kitty Stickers or not!)-I am still riding improved from stock  1980 XR500 and 1982 XR200R. But the XR250 was quite the dirtbike-sure lots of faster bikes but the XR250 was light enough and so frickin reliable. XR400 great too but that weight! Bring back the decent reliable dirtbike Honda -there is a market-more modern suspension and ergos but stone reliable motor with torque. How about a modern two stroke while you are at it! I am getting too old to want to work on this new stuff-until then I am riding my thirty plus year old bikes. :rant:  

Yeah probably, just a guessing game until you take the valve cover off.

Oh does the XR head use plain bearings? I've only seen bikes with ball bearings

yeah, quite a few use just journals no ball bearings it's lighter/smaller and normallly fine just dont run out of oil

Late to the forum as usual but a more recent XR250 is hard to beat(Hello Kitty Stickers or not!)-I am still riding improved from stock 1980 XR500 and 1982 XR200R. But the XR250 was quite the dirtbike-sure lots of faster bikes but the XR250 was light enough and so frickin reliable. XR400 great too but that weight! Bring back the decent reliable dirtbike Honda -there is a market-more modern suspension and ergos but stone reliable motor with torque. How about a modern two stroke while you are at it! I am getting too old to want to work on this new stuff-until then I am riding my thirty plus year old bikes. :rant:

I love the XR400.. Just not happy with my oil plug coming off :(

I suppose the best solution (and probably expensive too) would be to drop an XR engine in a new aluminum frame.. I'd love that!

I saw on Craigslist an XR engine (250?) dropped into a CRF frame. Hand built by the owner. Looked pretty sweet!

• 2 months later...

By no means is xr400 a modern top performer, but there are more criterias than performance

I don't know how long "120" or "240" hours is, I measure my bike's life in years / thousands of miles ? I bought my bike used, after it was sitting for a few years, and don't know exact history prior to it, but its had a 440, and after fixing a few stupid things (stuck clutch pulley from inactivity), I'm on my 5th year riding it, mostly as a commuter currently. I've done mostly Honda syntec oil changes, and pretty much nothing else. My xr 600 and 650r have been similar, although 650r I did not own very long (sold for a Ducati 749), should have kept it too. After 600r, I knew I would be in love with the 400, and I am. With 440, full exhaust, clutch, BSR42, and some other stuff, it has respectable power - pretty sure not as much as a high strung crf or ktm, but engine life, reliability, and air cooled, are also factored in.

a 250r is next on my list.

Honda really did freakin good with the XR bikes. I mean seriously good engineering. Comparable to older civics that run forever. The new bikes give you a couple less pounds, a couple more HP, but really take away from reliability and life. XR motor in a different frame is definitely a cool idea, but there are more plated XRs than crf's

• Like 1

Owned a 2004 Xr400 with every mod that I felt I needed,but best bike not even close.All Xr loves say the same thing no radiators,reliable,low maintanence,blah blah.Every bike I've owned after the 400 was better.Now on a 2007 K450 that is so much fun compared to any Xr400 and just for kicks I've jumped on my buddy's 400 to remind myself why I sold it.

Edited by BOBCRF450

Owned a 2004 Xr400 with every mod that I felt I needed,but best bike not even close.All Xr loves say the same thing no radiators,reliable,low maintanence,blah blah.Every bike I've owned after the 400 was better.Now on a 2007 K450 that is so much fun compared to any Xr400 and just for kicks I've jumped on my buddy's 400 to remind myself why I sold it.

There are pro's and con's to each. Take the 4x4 rock crawling world for example - a lot of the sought after axles are 30+ years old now.. heck I'm running 1978 axles in my newer Dodge. Light weight trades off reliability / life. A lot of newer stuff is as strong as a toothpick

I bet that 450 is fun, no doubt about it. Would it run for 10 years on nothing but oil changes? Probably not, but not everyone wants a bike like that. If I was looking for something to take out occasionally and had money, I'd have another bike. But rock solid reliability, street legal status, easily obtainable parts (especially considering the age of the bikes), and simplicity does have its benefits. I bought my bike for 1250 with minor problems, plated, and been riding the hoot out of it for five years. I've saved in gas enough to buy two more of these ?

p.s. you mention yours/buddies 400 - I've never ridden a "400" and only my "440", not sure if you had a modded stock bore, or big bore, because the difference is very significant

XRs make great commuters, and sadly I've put more road miles on mine than offroad. They are extremely fun and reliable street toys with a hooligan tendancy

I'm just here because I have nothing better to do ?

I have owned mine (XR 400 MY 2004) for the last two years. My rides are commuting on street from home to work and occasionally a fun ride with friends. This is my sincere feedback on it;

Advantages

- Low maintenance bike

- Good fuel consumption

- Powerful (taking in consideration power to weight ratio)

- Once it is started, it is fun to ride

- Parts easily available without any issues

Disadvantages

- Very sensitive on starting - definitely under engineered

- Poor clutch system - as the bike starts to warm up, gear shifting becomes harder and neutral becomes near to impossible to find.

I have spent money in optimizing its disadvantages, such as removing an FCR racing carb (without choke system) and installing stock carb with the right jetting. Also opened the clutch and inspected the parts for tolerances of wear and tear according to the manual. However they where of little help.

If I had the extra bucks I would install an e-start because the biggest issues I ve had where all related to inconsistent starting. Too sensitive in my opinion, if you fail 1 step in the starting sequence, you are lucky if you start it in the next 10 mins. This is hassle for a commuter, you do not want to drive a bike to work late and/ or in a bad temper.

Conclusions: I think it is a good bike and value for money, if you are planning to buy one for commuting choose one with an  e start installed. I also believe that the "Honda" fans slightly overrate this bike because it is a "Honda" and mask some minuses on important features like the starting and the clutch system.

Make sure your clutch pack is assembled correctly with the last disc being offset, pictures here: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23408955&postcount=7188

I have a Hinson basket and can't assemble it as such, and mine can't find neutral while the bike is stationary, but 2 mph and it goes in fine. Not sure what the big deal about the clutch pack orientation is, but apparently its very important otherwise the neutral problem. Go figure. But check it out..

I'm not a die hard Honda fan, but I've had three xr's over the last 8 years and unless there was an issue (crud in the carb, clogged passage, etc), they've all started as reliable as a horse. I ride in Los Angeles streets / traffic, if starting was an issue I would have dumped the bikes quickly, since stalling out and unable to restart bike while you got a million cars being/around you would suck, but honestly never happened.

p.s. you mention yours/buddies 400 - I've never ridden a "400" and only my "440", not sure if you had a modded stock bore, or big bore, because the difference is very significant

I owed a 2004 xr400 with mods no bore kit and my friend owns a 2002 x400.

Edited by BOBCRF450

I have owned mine (XR 400 MY 2004) for the last two years.....I also believe that the "Honda" fans slightly overrate this bike because it is a "Honda" and mask some minuses on important features like the starting and the clutch system.

I think that is an unfair assessment having only owned one XR4. Just because you and yours have starting and clutch issues doesn't make them all bad. I personally think it is one of the best cable-actuated clutches out there, and starting is a one- or two-kick-affair if it is jetted and primed correctly.

I am just as much of a Yamaha guy as a Honda guy. If any other manufacturer built a bike that I felt this comfortable touting the praises of, I'd be first in line.

Edited by ITLKSEZ

Previous owner put (I believe) Wiseco clutch pack in and it made occasional shifting hard, because they were just too darn grabby and would like to bond together. I went back to stock pack, and no more problem. Somehow previous owner modified everything to hold an additional friction disc + plate. I'm not complaining though..

I think for the money, a Yamaha might be my next bike. They have modern bike bells and whistles, but I hear pretty good things about them longevity and reliability wise. If money was no object, Huskies are hot..

• Like 1

Previous owner put (I believe) Wiseco clutch pack in and it made occasional shifting hard, because they were just too darn grabby and would like to bond together. I went back to stock pack, and no more problem. Somehow previous owner modified everything to hold an additional friction disc + plate. I'm not complaining though..

I think for the money, a Yamaha might be my next bike. They have modern bike bells and whistles, but I hear pretty good things about them longevity and reliability wise. If money was no object, Huskies are hot..

Yeah...the WR is very tempting......