Sign in to follow this  

Adventure bikes

Ive allways had dirt bikes for baja and im not getting rid of my dirt bikes just been looking at a Adventure bike like a KTM 990BAJA or a BMW F800GS ,, anyone have one or rode one and whats your input.

I've never rode either one but the last time I rode with a guy riding a BMW in Baja, we went up a narrow single track up Point Colonet...second canyon to the right, and his valve cover was removed for him. :) I'd go for the KTM, I've seen several of them in Cabo and I truly believe they will take the Baja abuse in stride over the BMW.

RAK

Ive allways had dirt bikes for baja and im not getting rid of my dirt bikes just been looking at a Adventure bike like a KTM 990BAJA or a BMW F800GS ,, anyone have one or rode one and whats your input.

Or an early '90's KTM 650 right Trackmaster? :jawdrop:

98 ktm620 RXC

I read an article in dirt bike magazine back in 97 about this bike. That year they race vegas to reno on it and finished. I had to have one. Bought the 98 model (last year made) and raced vegas to reno with it in 98-99. Only problem we had was the rear turn signals both fell off, and the kx 60 air filter that KTM used did not filter very well. Other wise it was an awesome adventure bike! I have rode it in mexico alot, and countless dualsport rides in the states. The last trip it was on, ensenada to cabo in feb, it started using oil and water. At one point, going across lake diablo at about 80mph, it completely locked up! I thought that was it, but it started right up!? so i babied it into san felipe. About a mile from gonzaga bay, it locked up again, then fired right back up.

For the next 4 days i kept it under 60 and it would run just fine, but was using about a gallon of oil every 100 miles. I retired it at insurentes, and put it to rest. If it woulda died in the desert, it would probably still be out there as a memorial. I have seen guys prerun with the 990, but it is pretty slow. I am wondering about a 690 as an adventure bike, pretty fun to ride. The honda 650L seems pretty bullet proof.

Here is its final resting spot KTMCHICK. Still runs

36DCD6DB-9DB3-44A3-B816-DEDDF93781BA-168

Here is its final resting spot KTMCHICK. Still runs

36DCD6DB-9DB3-44A3-B816-DEDDF93781BA-168

Unlike the Honda that did not survive the trip....or my stator.  lol  :ride:   You railed on that thing too.  I was impressed.

PS I love that the ktmchick and dirtbikejunkie sticker is still on your bike.  

Edited by ktmchick

No i want guys that ride baja that have been on one not some one that just rides the street

• Like 2

I looked at one but decided it didn't have enough fairings and windshield, so I bought a Rhino instead. 

^^^^right on schedule

(awesome, theres like 12 people on here now- party time)

By the "guey": I wouldn't take and XR650L south of Maneadero-guey

I heard PCELL is on this beauty

2013-KTM-990-Adventure-Baja-Edition-01A_

It says BAJA so it must be worthy.

2013-KTM-990-Adventure-Baja-Edition-01_z

Hard to beat my XR400. 

I think we've all seen the gear queers from ADV on their trip from Portland to Bay of LA. Struggling and complaining and generally not getting anywhere fast. Around the world a 990 is probably a nice way to go. Down to Starbucks with your buddies its just another Harley biker clique IMO.

My vote is NOT.

If you want to go big, take a look at a KTM 690, Husky 610 or Honda XR650R/L all great long haul baja bikes. 

Not that theres anything wrong with being a gear queer.

PS I love that the ktmchick and dirtbikejunkie sticker is still on your bike.

I have recently seen that sticker at Rice and Beans in San Ignacio. I thought it was funny.

• Like 1

^^^^right on schedule

(awesome, theres like 12 people on here now- party time)

Scotty have you ever rode this bike

By the "guey": I wouldn't take and XR650L south of Maneadero-guey

I heard PCELL is on this beauty

2013-KTM-990-Adventure-Baja-Edition-01A_

It says BAJA so it must be worthy.

2013-KTM-990-Adventure-Baja-Edition-01_z