Downieville Trail Project

This doesn't count if I just post a link does it?

http://youtu.be/EyH760MV3Yg

Let's not hate.  It's over.  Nothing here.  I won't.  I can't.

Real-Housewives-New-Jersey-Season-1-Reun

I still can't believe I wasn't included in the ride?!  Wait,  what did I say about pics?

P.S.  I like the word, MOCK,  I gotta start using that.

This doesn't count if I just post a link does it?

http://youtu.be/EyH760MV3Yg

Let's not hate.  It's over.  Nothing here.  I won't.  I can't.

Real-Housewives-New-Jersey-Season-1-Reun

I still can't believe I wasn't included in the ride?!  Wait,  what did I say about pics?

P.S.  I like the word, MOCK,  I gotta start using that.

Is that you, slyko, on the left? Nice ca-nkles! ?

Edited by prplhzei.t200

So now the dust has settled and it's safe to say it's over.

Hot buttons aside.................................... What can we take away?  What are the big picture items?

Over 2000 views.  Dave, that's the most you've ever had for any work day request.  Period. Don't believe me, just do a search.  Why did this happen?  :devil:  If you had just a fraction of that amount show up to a work day, what would be the result? 

These other bozos that focus on creating a popularity contest....................................... accomplish what? 

Am I just the bad guy? Or is there a greater purpose here?

In case the trolls want to rear up again.................................. http://youtu.be/pc0mxOXbWIU

So stepping back, what do I mean to accomplish?  Am I just beating a dead horse?  Is this just a lost cause?  Am I just wasting my time?  The only one I can effect is me.  Enough said.  I needed to put it down so I can organize my thoughts I guess. ?

Edited by superslyko

So now the dust has settled and it's safe to say it's over.

Hot buttons aside.................................... What can we take away?  What are the big picture items?

Over 2000 views.  Dave, that's the most you've ever had for any work day request.  Period. Don't believe me, just do a search.  Why did this happen?  :devil:  If you had just a fraction of that amount show up to a work day, what would be the result? 

These other bozos that focus on creating a popularity contest....................................... accomplish what? 

Am I just the bad guy? Or is there a greater purpose here?

In case the trolls want to rear up again.................................. http://youtu.be/pc0mxOXbWIU

So stepping back, what do I mean to accomplish?  Am I just beating a dead horse?  Is this just a lost cause?  Am I just wasting my time?  The only one I can effect is me.  Enough said.  I needed to put it down so I can organize my thoughts I guess. ?

Give it to daddy, he can fix it. He can fix anything!

Well, except his own bike!? ? ? ?

Edited by prplhzei.t200
  • Like 3

I like trails hardly wider than my tire. So, I disagree. I say that its wheelchair accessible trails you are talking about! Really though, after a few years it will be good. Anyone else hate what they did at the top of butcher ranch?

This is a hand cut single track trail. I hope you will notice the difference between single track and bulldozer, trail tractor Quad Crap routes. It is a shame that our managed OHV areas, no longer provide single track trails. The pressure this puts on the few areas that have trails is enormous.

I concur, trail construction and maintenance is dictated by people who sit in offices and don't have a clue what is going on in the real world outside. They create rules and guidelines for trails designed to accommodate the lowest common denominator rider, not a skilled seasoned enthusiast looking for a challenge in a sea of mediocrity. Add to that, all the biological and environmental B.S. the numerous government agencies have created to stifle any new trail construction, I feel fortunate that Stony was re-opened after only a year. Maybe there is an opportunity to open up an dialog with the USFS and create a partnership between the Forest Service, riding clubs, M/C. stores or maybe a "Friends of Stonyford" group with funding to make it happen.

I've seen how much clout SBTS has, I've spent 4 days shovelling snow before the Classic, I've donated dollars to the organization to keep trails open even though I don't ride a mountain bike. The point being, there is an independent group that has made true single track happen in a national forest, maybe it can happen in the Mendocino National Forest.........it would not be easy, it would take time, resources, environmental policy knowledge, people who can deal with the forest service, and here's the big one.....money. The SBTS has proven it can be done.

• 4 weeks later...

We had 21 people working on a new trail today at Downieville.  Tahoe NF trail crew, SBTS, Sierra Motosports, Maier Mfg. and NoToil employees all worked hard today.  Plus a couple members of the NCWR.

The trail is nearly complete and may take one or two more volunteer projects to complete?

Zero help from ThumperTalk regulars.  That was to be expected.  Excuses...

The next volunteer trail project is Sept 8.

It is very important that this trail be completed before it snows.  Snow helps with curing a trail and helps compact the soil.  If the trail is completed in the spring, it will remain closed, for another season.  If it is completed this Fall, then it will open to ride when the snow melts.

Hope one or more of you will make plans to attend the next volunteer work project.  I could care less about hearing more excuses.  I only want to hear from the one or two, responsible riders, willing to commit.

I have pictures and video, but you'll need to go up and help to see the new trail.  Trust me, those of you who enjoy single track trails are going to like this trail.  By helping you get to ride the completed section in/out.  Way fun!

For those who can't attend, instead of posting excuses.  How about making an order with NoToil.  Maier Mfg. or Sierra Motosports and be sure to say thanks for their business, talking part in this project.  The Butcher Ranch Trail Extension.

Dave, is there a way to get on an email list for the next volunteer dates?

I don't always check TT regularly, but if there is a mass email going out I would want to be on that mailing list. I'm sure I can't be the only one.

Thanks for posting up this thread and I hope to be on the next build crew.

Thanks,

Murph

Contact Joe Chavez, perhaps he has a volunteer list? 

Or the land manager, recreation officer, trails person, local club...for the area one frequents.

Though many clubs are just as lazy as the frequent posters on TT.  Volunteer Work, is a club ride, these days, to many.

I hear you about notice.  Riders willing to help are lurkers on TT and do not check in on a regular basis to read pages of garbage, posted in the California forum. 

Easy to miss a post about what one can do to help.

Thanks for your interest in giving back!

• 4 weeks later...

Contact Joe Chavez, perhaps he has a volunteer list? 

Or the land manager, recreation officer, trails person, local club...for the area one frequents.

Though many clubs are just as lazy as the frequent posters on TT.  Volunteer Work, is a club ride, these days, to many.

I hear you about notice.  Riders willing to help are lurkers on TT and do not check in on a regular basis to read pages of garbage, posted in the California forum. 

Easy to miss a post about what one can do to help.

Thanks for your interest in giving back!

It's the best place to get your HS running news though.  ?

x

Sheesh what happened here? I liked your video and you took it off???

We need more riders like the one that was in Dave's video. No wheel spin, no locking up the rear and brake sliding. All this creates whoops, breaking bumps, and ruts. Be responsible with wheel placement, run a trials tire, never go off trail, don't cut switchbacks, cut or move downed trees in the trail, don't go around them.

Jeepers creepers guys have fun out there