Who's paying?

I was wondering who makes their kids pay for their bikes and what not? I'm 13 and I've paid for all my gear and bikes by yard work. I have to say, I'm pretty damn proud, 3 bikes later. I feel like (and my father insists) that the fact that I've paid she all the bikes and mods, I'm treat my machine much better then kids who have it handed to them. my friends thought I was crazy for changing my oil every ride, until one kid ran dry and ruined an entire top end and tranny. So, do you pay for your kids? If not, why?

• Like 7

I was wondering who makes their kids pay for their bikes and what not? I'm 13 and I've paid for all my gear and bikes by yard work. I have to say, I'm pretty damn proud, 3 bikes later. I feel like (and my father insists) that the fact that I've paid she all the bikes and mods, I'm treat my machine much better then kids who have it handed to them. my friends thought I was crazy for changing my oil every ride, until one kid ran dry and ruined an entire top end and tranny. So, do you pay for your kids? If not, why?

Same boat here man, I'm 14 an on my second bike now ?, I always take care of my bikes an of anything feels wrong r sounds wrong she comes apart lol. It also gives you more appreciation for the sport because you treat the bike more like a part of you of you buy it it seems

This is how I was raised...I paid for, worked on, modded my own car(s) bikes...whatever. Kids who are willing to work & earn their way, typically make fine responsible adults. You definitely appreciate what you have when you work and earn it.

side note: Bought each of my kid's 1st car(good 'ole fashioned dependable beaters)...Taught them how check fluids, change tires etc. After that, they were on their own for a nicer ride or non-necessary upgrades.

• Like 3

Same here, bought everything on my own starting with a rm85 and sold and saved up and I've had several bikes in the past several years. Same thing with cars, watercraft (more recently), hobby supplies (mainly auto body painting, shop fabbing, powder coating). Granted my old man taught me a whole bunch and with his tools and in his shop, I've also learned a ton by myself. Nothing makes me prouder than knowing i actually possess everything I call mine.

• Like 1

I pay for the bikes and equipment. Son takes great care of the machines and earns his privileges with jobs around the house, sports and academics. I think it's cool that you buy and maintain your own stuff. You should be proud! Mind me asking how a young man like yourself earns the dough? Just asking cause maybe my boy could try something like that. You absolutely don't need to answer if you don't want to. Either way, you are right to be proud!

• Like 1

Bought my own bikes since I was 12 (paper route money, took a while). No regrets, or feeling neglected. Now at 55, even in current culture, and going thru a slight rough patch, don't feel entitled to anything. Except, of course what I've earned through voluntary commerce. It's a good way to live, paying as much of your own way as soon as possible.

Mike

• Like 1

I pay for the bikes and equipment. Son takes great care of the machines and earns his privileges with jobs around the house, sports and academics. I think it's cool that you buy and maintain your own stuff. You should be proud! Mind me asking how a young man like yourself earns the dough? Just asking cause maybe my boy could try something like that. You absolutely don't need to answer if you don't want to. Either way, you are right to be proud!

I'm 13, and pay for all my bikes/ equipment. The way I make my money is by working on the farm for mom/dad. Examples are: sanding/painting fences, helping build the gun range, feeding the cows, tilling the garden, etc.etc.etc.next year, though, since ill be 14, I can get a real job(for the summer).

• Like 2

This is a great thread.

You should all be proud,and it also it teaches you how to earn and appreciate things.

I'm a young adult now who worked hard during my teenage years to earn and achieve things. Those skills have helped me immensely in life generally and I now own my own house, bike, have a good job, girlfriend etc. Keep up the good work.

Good to see some good kids here. I don't know how you young guys find jobs nowadays, though. When I was a kid in the early 80's, it was easy to get a job bagging groceries, busing tables, mowing lawns etc. But today, it seems like all I see is adults doing those jobs. It must be tough for you responsible youngsters. 

I didn't have to pay for my stuff, but my dad was a former racer and he certainly made sure I understood how to do the maintenance and when to do it.  I did all my work under his guidance once I got my first bike at the age of 12.  I did "earn" it in other ways, mowed the lawn, took out the trash, was a good kid in school (honor roll, only 2 detentions all time, etc..), worked hard in sports, etc...  If dad said I needed to do something, I didn't argue or grovel, I went and did it.  Even as an adult, the old man still helped me out as I got serious about racing and made an attempt at running the entire GNCC season once.  He was retired and traveled with me to a few races and covered the bills, bought me tires, etc...  He loved being involved.   He passed away about 3 years ago and every time I get on the bike, I'm reminded of the bond we had and how much of it was built with our passion for dirtbikes.

Edited by CBus660R
  • Like 2

The xr50 at 3 was paid for, and the crf70 at 8, but my cr125 at 16 I paid for, and paid for parts and tools, and totally rebuilt/restored a waterlogged POS and now I get people who tell me my bike looks showroom and want to buy it, buying it yourself + rebuilding it yourself is a damn awesome feeling

• Like 1

I pay for some, parents for the rest. Pretty much every penny I make goes into racing. On a normal race weekend, my paremts will pay for 1 class, If I want to race more than 1, its on me. Before my new bike, I have paid for my bikes, (mostly from buying and selling, it runs in the family, lol). Started with a $500 300ex that I later sold for 1000 and so on. I buy my oil, gear, chain lube and that kind of stuff. My dad does buy my gas though.

To sum it up, I know its a very exepensive sport, so I help out wherever I can. I just started my first real part time job, so the money should start flowing soon. ?

Yup I paid for all my bikes. I have a lawn business that I work one day a week which helps a lot. I started out with an old moped and went to a kdx 80 and now to my husqvarna which I rebuilt tranny, bottom end, top end, rear shock, and lots of stuff. it does feel good when you know you paid for it all from the work you do instead of having it handed to you!

• Like 1