Mechanical front brake switch

I have just acquired an 03 XR400. It had the rear brake pressure switch and the brake light converted. I have since replaced it with LEDs and rewired for turn signals,horn and hi-lo headlight.  My main issue right now is the brake light switch, the pressure switch seems to only activate the brake light if I stomp on it much harder than necessary to stop normally. The question is; is this normal, do I need to replace the pressure switch? I would also like to have the front brake lever activate the brake light as well. are the low profile switches effective with a gradual application of brake or do I have to do an endo for it to activate the light? I have found a factory replacement mechanical switch for an XR400 on Ebay. does anyone know if this is a direct bolt on option?  

I have just acquired an 03 XR400. It had the rear brake pressure switch and the brake light converted. I have since replaced it with LEDs and rewired for turn signals,horn and hi-lo headlight.  My main issue right now is the brake light switch, the pressure switch seems to only activate the brake light if I stomp on it much harder than necessary to stop normally. The question is; is this normal, do I need to replace the pressure switch? I would also like to have the front brake lever activate the brake light as well. are the low profile switches effective with a gradual application of brake or do I have to do an endo for it to activate the light? I have found a factory replacement mechanical switch for an XR400 on Ebay. does anyone know if this is a direct bolt on option?  

no, its not normal. The hydraulic fluid is hydrophilic, meaning it likes water, so probably condensation has gotten into the fluid and the fluid has clogged the switch. Flush the fluid out and poor some fresh one, while blow on the switch hole with air (compressed or just use your mouth). That should fix it, if it does not, your pressure switch may hit the dirt. 

Thanks for the info, I'll be flushing and filling tonight   :thumbsup: