Sign in to follow this  

Going Beta! 300RR or 250RR

Alright I'm going to ride a Beta for my 2014  hare scramble season. In 2012 I ran a ktm 250XC and absolutely loved the bike, I rode a 300 ktm of a friends and it wasn't my style. it revved to slow and felt like the power dropped off rather quickly. That being said I hear these beta 300's are nothing like that. I have read that they rev out great don't vibrate to terribly. My question is do you think having loved my 250xc would I you guys who have rode both think I would like a 250 or 300 better? I am just over 6 feet tall and weigh in at 200 lbs, I am also advancing to the AA/ pro class next year if that makes any difference. Thanks guy's can't wait to throw a leg over a Beta! - Jason

• Like 2

Alright I'm going to ride a Beta for my 2014  hare scramble season. In 2012 I ran a ktm 250XC and absolutely loved the bike, I rode a 300 ktm of a friends and it wasn't my style. it revved to slow and felt like the power dropped off rather quickly. That being said I hear these beta 300's are nothing like that. I have read that they rev out great don't vibrate to terribly. My question is do you think having loved my 250xc would I you guys who have rode both think I would like a 250 or 300 better? I am just over 6 feet tall and weigh in at 200 lbs, I am also advancing to the AA/ pro class next year if that makes any difference. Thanks guy's can't wait to throw a leg over a Beta! - Jason

I've read that they don't rev out as much.. but I'm not sure about magazine articles as being the last word..I wont hold my breath on accuracy. I just rode with a guy on thursday who was riding a nice tricked out 11? ktm 300 and he was raving on how his Beta 300 was way better. He loves his ... but everyone has different riding where they are.. I'd like one. The electric start is supposed to work excellent too. That kind of holds me back on ktm.. I think I'd go gasgas too but Beta 300 is number one  on my list if I could get another bike. If you have the cash go for it. I would.. I get the 300 but the 250 sounds good too.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

i rode a 2012 ktm 300 a couple of weeks ago, it feels like to be less ready at lower revs but scream more at highers, but i really dont know the setup of the power valve or if jetting was fine tuned.

but, for example, scalvini made a pipe (for Beta 300) to make a softer delivery of the power, so you can understand that engine have a lot of strenght at lower rpm's

never rode a beta 250, here in italy seems like evere beta sell is a 300...but i read a test where they said the new 250 have a better response due to several modifications on the 2014 engine.

the 300 is still the same engine of 2013.

Edited by iceman kimi

i rode a 2012 ktm 300 a couple of weeks ago, it feels like to be less ready at lower revs but scream more at highers, but i really dont know the setup of the power valve or if jetting was fine tuned.

but, for example, scalvini made a pipe (for Beta 300) to make a softer delivery of the power, so you can understand that engine have a lot of strenght at lower rpm's

never rode a beta 250, here in italy seems like evere beta sell is a 300...but i read a test where they said the new 250 have a better response due to several modifications on the 2014 engine.

the 300 is still the same engine of 2013.

I have a full Scalvini system on my bike and the reed spacer removed.

Only 2 small rides so far so obviously I need more time but  I like it even more than stock.

Imagine 4-stroke style power drifts and this is almost self explained if you check Scalvini's power diagram (not the actual numbers which look very low) but the change in the curve: more bottom, less mid and more at high rpm with increased overrev (where Beta is already the best). For me, the bike is actually easier to ride but as I said need more saddle time. Jetting is stock, PV 2,75 turns in (almost stock) and... oil filter over oiled (safety precaution due to dry and extremely dusty conditions).

Back to the original question....I'd be happy with both displacements but I guess that is always easier to be faster on a less powerfull bike. However, Beta's analogies are not like KTM's: the 300 -comparatively- is softer on the bottom but revs higher than the 250.

So Davis, I guess that the reasons for which you preffered the KTM 250 over the 300 (by the way I agree with you, my 07 and 09 EXC 300 felt this way) do not apply to Beta. So its up to you if you can do with enough power or you want to have more fun in the faster sections.

Edited by dirtbird
  • Like 1

I like aggressive mx type hit and love the 250.  I have my power valve at 2 turns out.  1/2 turn less than stock for more hit. My 250 is a rocket.  I like to rev it just like my Honda CRF250F.  No one has ridden it and said damn this thing is slow  LOL  I would like to ride the 300 at some point.

I like aggressive mx type hit and love the 250.  I have my power valve at 2 turns out.  1/2 turn less than stock for more hit. My 250 is a rocket.  I like to rev it just like my Honda CRF250F.  No one has ridden it and said damn this thing is slow  LOL  I would like to ride the 300 at some point.

I'm a 250 guy as well. that being said I'd  still like to try the Beta 300 and 250 side by side.

My 300 is on it's way. :banana:

Mine too, got one on order from Franks Motorbikes. Time is going slow now.

Edited by Enduroguy