Sign in to follow this  

93 WR250 baffling linkage design

In the following pic, part number 31 is one of two bolts that hold the fwd linkage arm to the frame. On the frame is a welded tab that acts a 'stop' to keep the bolt from turning. However, I need to remove that bolt, and without grinding off the 'stop' I can't turn it? The smaller bolt on the opposite side came off without incident, but there is no way to turn the larger bolt?

Any information greatly appreciated

543_swingarm.gif

Is there no way to remove the piece with the shock together? I'd try a press before grinding. If you want to get rid of that head, just drill till you get the diameter of the bolt that should remove the head without touching the stop. Or not taking too much of it. 

I can't understand the design....why 2 bolts?  And what do they thread into anyway, the sleeves? Part 26? Part 32?  From what I can tell with a flashlight, the smaller opposing bolt and the larger bolt in question thread into Part 32 from both ends.  Now that I have the smaller bolt off, all I can guess is that I need to press the sleeves and the larger bolt back out far enough to clear the stop.

Baffled in Seattle

btw, the bolt in question has a 22mm head on it, the smaller a 14mm.  I thought it was rig from the previous owner when I first saw it, then I looked up the fiche and don't know what to say

I don't think that #31 is meant to be screwed in and out.  I believe that it is just meant to be slid in and act as an axle shaft to support the bearings and collar.  It may just be stuck in there because the previous owner never took it apart and cleaned and greased it.

Have you tried applying just a little heat and a few taps to try and back it out?

• Like 1

I don't think that #31 is meant to be screwed in and out.  I believe that it is just meant to be slid in and act as an axle shaft to support the bearings and collar.  It may just be stuck in there because the previous owner never took it apart and cleaned and greased it.

Have you tried applying just a little heat and a few taps to try and back it out?

This ^

#31 should just be a sleeve with internal threads for the smaller bolt to screw into, holding the sleeve in place. Once the small bolt is out, #31 should slide out. As said, may need some heat and a hammer.

• Like 1

I gave it a couple taps, but I didn't try very hard. The parts haven't been too corroded, so I sprayed some Kroil on there to sit

I'll give it a couple more whacks when I get home.

Not sure why they wouldn't through bolt that design.....I wonder if I should? :excuseme:

I gave it a couple taps, but I didn't try very hard. The parts haven't been too corroded, so I sprayed some Kroil on there to sit

I'll give it a couple more whacks when I get home.

Not sure why they wouldn't through bolt that design.....I wonder if I should? :excuseme:

It must be internally threaded for the smaller bolt to thread into. The front axle on my 05 KTM is the same design. It seems weird at first, but it is significantly lighter than my YZ. The spacer setup is weird too.

It is kind of a pain to get out. I usually partially thread the (externally threaded) nut it, hope the spacers aren't seized to the axle again, and give it a few taps until I'm able to grab/twist/pull the big end.

• Like 1