Sign in to follow this  

Knocking sound?

So, on my 2002 cr125, it likes to make a knocking sound,l. I have no idea what it could be ( I'm not a mechanic at all). I just bought the bike from a dealer ( bike is not new). They put a new top end on it also if that helps. Ideas?

Also I would be willing to do what ever necessary if you could show me.

Is it knocking when idling, riding, braking? Do you see anything with play in it like a kick starter hitting the pipe? A video would be nice too

It happens when riding. I hear it mainly when letting off the throttle and giving it more throttle (can't hear it over the engine). Unsure of how to do a video.

At idle.....does it sound like someone is spinning a ratchet??

My old cr80 sounded like that. And my 02 cr125 makes the exact same noise.

I read someplace not to long ago that it could be the waterpump gear moving "in and out".

I can move my water pump gear in and out just a tiny bit...I can replicate the noise with the engine off. So I may have found the source of the noise..... I am replacing the waterpump assembly tonight because of a seal leak. I will post the results of a sound change later.

Pull your flywheel cover and pull up and down on the flywheel, if there is play the main bearings for the crank are shot and it's time for a bottom end. Just a thought if it's knocking.

• Like 1

It makes a ratchet sound after started when my kick start is pushed down.

Pull your flywheel cover and pull up and down on the flywheel, if there is play the main bearings for the crank are shot and it's time for a bottom end. Just a thought if it's knocking.

How do I do this?

How do I do this?

Just remove the 4 bolts on the little cover on the left hand side ( behind/above shifter ).  Then, you will see the flywheel ( Round, heavy shiney piece ). Grab the flywheel by hand and see if it'll lift up and down any at all. Only takes 2 mins ( if that ) from start to finish.

Edited by wykyd450r
  • Like 1

Checked it, no play at all. I did have some trouble with the seal, lol. Is this fine?ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377979848.572342.jpg

Checked it, no play at all. I did have some trouble with the seal, lol. Is this fine?attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377979848.572342.jpg

Me, I'd say no, it's not fine. I wouldnt want water to enter into that area.  If ya didnt rip the gasket, pull the cover back off and see if you can get it tucked in. If you tore the gasket, maybe get some rtv from an autoparts store/walmart and put a thin coat on it to hold it in place. Worse case, you can get a new gasket. If your good, you can trace that one on a piece of gasket paper from a autoparts store and make one with an exacto/razorblade ( I have done this for years in a pinch ).

As for having no play, thats excellent news!! Be happy for this atleast.

Edited by wykyd450r

my 07 made what sounded like a rod whirring, i tore the whole thing down looking for something wrong, couldn't find a damn thing, still made the noise, figured out the clatter was my powervalve half way slapping. kinda shook. wasn't loose just the way it was.

Fixed the seal. Did you leave the power valve the way it was?

Fixed the seal. Did you leave the power valve the way it was?

lubed it put a new seal in it since i was there, and said the hell with it. there was no damage visible but i replicated the sound by flicking the thing back and forth