Shift return spring broken. cause of this?

hey guys, 

so i broke the return spring some how but i was able to replace it pretty easily. hardest part was waiting for the spring to come in.

if you guys are wondering what im talking about this is a similar situation, except my spring actually broke. not sure what exactly happened to him

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/990041-shifter-return-failure-to-home-trouble-shifting-advice/

i was just wondering what could have caused this? lots of wear on the spring itself over time? or hard down shifting? id imagine it can handle loads of pressure. i did notice the plate on the shaft was blued in color as if it was taking a lot of heat. i have pics if needed. oh yeah my bike has a little under 17k miles.

any input would be awesome.

thanks guys!

Edited by ttsang91

No particular cause.  It happens.  A defect in the spring.   Nothing an owner can do to cause or prevent the spring breakage.  Had to change mine in a motel parking lot after riding for 7 days with no spring.

Just fatigue  or defect.. as suggested above,, Replace and ride on.. nothing to worry about. 

I replaced the whole shaft..

I replaced the whole shaft..

For a broken spring.. Why??, by what reasoning did you feel the shiftier shaft was not serviceable due to a thin metal spring failing? 

For a broken spring.. Why??, by what reasoning did you feel the shiftier shaft was not serviceable due to a thin metal spring failing?

well the bottom end has done 20'000 miles. I fought while im in there i will change the shaft also just least it has a new one :)

well the bottom end has done 20'000 miles. I fought while im in there i will change the shaft also just least it has a new one :)

Ahh, ok,, so really nothing to do with the original post, nor anything to do with fixing a broken spring. 

Got it.. the post was just confusing as an answer to the OP and his posted concern.

Thanks for clarifying. 

oh ok cool. glad it's nothing to worry about.

thanks guys  :thumbsup:

Sounds expensive