Sign in to follow this  

Cam chain timing again!

Okay guys

I am still trying to get my timing adjusted will my engine still run if I just use the actual T Mark instead of the line?

The T mark is what is used to set the cam timing. What line are you referring to?

So there is the line with the t next to it can I use the t and not the line?

Line up he crank with the LINE at TDC and post a pic of the cam alignment marks so we can see how far the cam is off.....

B

Edited by brianhare

Use the line to the right of the T, the "T" represents piston at "Top Dead Center" set at the line. Depending on cam chain wear, you might be 1 cam sprocket tooth advanced.

"HJ"     :banghead:

the T may be on its side and not straight up, but the line will be to the left of the T.....if the chain is stretched line up the marks on cam sprocket so the forward mark is slightly higher the the rear mark, when tensioner goes in it should pull it closer to true, however if its way off get a new chain for 90 bucks, if your using a new chain thoes marks should be spot on

I got  a new chain and the marks line up the same as the old one if i use the T mark then it lines up otherwise it is higher on ther right side post-302930-0-98514100-1373675692_thumb.

What's with these blasted thumbnail pictures,,some load and enlarge making them easy to see, others won't load at all into the large view,,Anyone else having the issue???seems to have only started recently..eg,,can't get any of Erics posted above to load and enlarge,,the other one I can.

Maybe I should fire up the Gates partition and see if it's a different matter,,test commencing.

Nope,,same deal..Somethings poked somewhere on the site..

Edited by Horri

If I move the chain it is too high on the other side, if I hold the marks in place and put the tensioner in it still goes back to how it is in the picture

Can you not get a picture of both the bottom and top positions..Eric seems to have managed one,,Get the T on the mark exactly..snap a shot..then snap one of the top as you did previously,,don't use the same one,,we want to see the position of the T mark in the bottom of the motor and the top at the same time..What's that crud around that top cam sprocket bolt???..looks like grease..is it??

Don't really want greased bolts there,,better they are clear of oil/grease then loctited in..

Edited by Horri

If I move the chain it is too high on the other side, if I hold the marks in place and put the tensioner in it still goes back to how it is in the picture

Yes,,You've already said that..Brians asked for a picture of both positions..I've asked for one..everyone else also wants them..It's still early in dingo land,,Grab the phone or camera and wander out and take the pictures.. :banghead:

Whoops incorrect,,Brian has not asked for the picture of both positions,,blast him.. :rant:

Edited by Horri

DSC_0015.jpgDSC_0018.jpgDSC_0020.jpg

Fist photo of chain moved one tooth

Second just to show im at tdc

Last one to show that I can push the sproket across to line up with the play but still on tdc

well I just cant leave I guess

Install tensioner and do same pics...do not move sprocket teeth

your good btw

you had the other thread and basically asked the same questions...when the tensioner is installed it will pick up the slack...the reason you can move the chain is because it is not tensioned...if youd be able to do this with the tensioner on that means you have an issue

your saying this is a new chain?

I dont understand what the issue is either

well you said it does it with the tensioner but no pics...if you can take pics cool...first line up tdc on the line, install tensioner.

the only other thing is that someone maybe shaved either the deck or cylinder or both to fix a warp, or your gasket thicknesses are less than stock..

have your torqued down the head and cylinder correctly?

lastly this amount btw wont do any damage at all to anything...people run around with the timing off 1 tooth and only notice after taking the engine apart...for other reasons...even seasoned builders.

Edited by elsalvadorXR6

I got  a new chain and the marks line up the same as the old one if i use the T mark then it lines up otherwise it is higher on ther right side post-302930-0-98514100-1373675692_thumb.

looks like your tensioner is worn or is it new? on all the builds I have seen, when correctly installed and tensioned the grabber or line on the tensioner shaft should be horizontal or parrallel to the fins on the head

maybe you have worn guides and the tensioner has to push more up against the chain

have you checked for worn guides, especially the left one?

just trying to help btw

Edited by elsalvadorXR6

Shoot! Christian, you know you still go on the site everyday! We still need you sometimes!

Xr96...with crank at the line of the T, and cam sprocket lines lined up, but not bolted in yet...try and get all the slack on the left side for the tensioner to push on. On the right should be taught. Then bolt the sprocket. With the left side a little loose the tensioner will have to take up that slack without moving the upper/lower gears from their marks. Right side tight always. If left sides tight before tensioner is installed the tensioner will push on the taught chain pulling the sprockets together and will make the 9oclock line dip below the head. You want it just to take up the slack that you made from making the right side taught. Push with your fingers before installing tensioner. Righty tighty. Lefty loosey

• Like 1