Sign in to follow this  

125 vs 150 for novice/intermediate rider

As some of you may have recently seen I had an 09 sx250 with 300 big bore kit that was a bit much for me. I was going to play with it over a period of a few weeks to tame the hit, but decided I couldnt be bothered with it all. I want a bike I can just ride when I want to ride it. I have the 200 for enduros, want an mx bike for mx! I put it on ebay and within 24 hours it had gone, for exacly what I paid which was nice.

Im looking at a few bikes, their all 2011/2012 ktm 125's or 150's. I believe there is a question to be answered by people who own/have owned these bikes.

Given that I am a slower rider, and the tracks I will ride are hilly and sandy, in the past I have often struggled with a small bore with gear selection. Granted this is 100% me, I know a 125 is fully capable!

Searching around the net you often read that a 150 is good for 'lazier' riding. It has that bit of extra torque that helps a little. BUT, you will also read on the net that the 125 actually has more bottom - mid pull. The area that the 150 excels is mid-top. With me been a slower rider, on hilly sandy tracks, would I actually then be better off on a 125 over a 150? As mid-top is not going to be happening all that much with me.

Its hard to get a proper answer so I needed advice of people who have used the two in the real world. Its like with silencers, you see people say a shorty will give more bottom end but less top, and a long silencer will give more bottom end and top. With that statement why does anyone bother with shortys? There must be more to it, and dyno results would be the best way of proving which silencer is better.

cheers!

Go with the 150, I rode 125's for years but I like the 150 better. For me it's been like an old mans 125, I can find the power without screaming the bike which is nice, but it's plenty fast and has pretty broad power. I wouldn't say 125's are faster, but in all truth there isn't a huge difference between the 125 and 150.

Go with the 150, I rode 125's for years but I like the 150 better. For me it's been like an old mans 125, I can find the power without screaming the bike which is nice, but it's plenty fast and has pretty broad power. I wouldn't say 125's are faster, but in all truth there isn't a huge difference between the 125 and 150.

Thanks for your reply! Im edging towards a 150.

I know this isnt in US currecny but it gives an idea....

Im looking at a 2011 150sx at £2900

Or a 2012 125sx at £2600

So £300 difference, which is roughly $500 or $550 dollars?

Both bikes are 100% top notch condition

Cant choose!!

I should of said more about me. Im 27, ex Infantry soldier so quite fit. 14.5 stone and over 6ft tall. Im a novice/inter rider. (i think in the US I would be callled a B class rider?) Not that fast but I want to race, have fun and not be last. Id like to be middle/top end of the pack but I have to go to work monday mornings too. Ill be racing a winter series in the UK where most meetings are on a sodden, mid-deep sandy hillside tracks. Other meetings at a very hilly track in a valley, which is woodchip based.

Thanks for reading!

The 150 is easier to ride and way more forgiving of mistakes in clutch throttle useage

• Like 1

Personally I'd go with the 2011 150. From what I've heard the 2012's were down on hp from the 2011's, that was the first year of the linked suspension and the airbox was changed. I've also heard the 12's shock wasn't so good. I would have bought an 11 over my 13 if I could have found one.

I geared my 144 (150sx) to be like my 125 and it's a better 125 then the 125 is! heh ;)

The stock gearing on the 150sx is horrible, its like riding a big bore bike without the power. But its why a lot of people prefer the 150sx over the 125sx because in stock form, it is a very different bike to ride. But when you gear it like a 125, it screams like a 125, lots of mid/top end, plenty of power to do almost anything.

In terms of the year, 2011 is pretty much the best of the best. If you had to settle for any different year, I'd actually buy a 2013 because it has the newest suspension components, larger airbox, better wheels, better cooling system, screw on gas cap, etc. I have the first year of the 144SX (07), which I modified to 150SX spec and its a great lil bike in the long run.

I love my 11' 150. It is by far, the most fun motorcycle I have ever owned. You don't have to be fast to scream the bike. You just have to like the sound of a 2T on the pipe. My bike came with 13/48 gearing and I put a 50T on the rear. It made all the difference. The bike screams like a super mini and has good midrange. It is not a 300 and has no bottom end to speak of if you compare the two but for a little bike it has good low end.

It is a little more work to ride but it takes a lot less energy to ride it. I can ride it far longer than I can ride one of my 250s before I am tired.

My advise would be to get the 150. The 125 is a good bike as well but I think the 150 is just a little better!

Thankyou everyone! Really surprised that there has been no shout out for the 125sx. But can understand the plaudits for the 150.

The '12 125sx has sold. But a '11 125sx has come up for sale. So now its between.....

11 150sx £2900

11 125sx £2600

I think the 125 fella might budge a little, hes local to me (about half hr) so may go down and have a look.

The 150 is stock apart from pro taper bars, bash plate

The 125 has orange frame, talon wheels, new plastics/graphics and new tyres.

So tempted by the 125! But I think a 150 may suit more in the long run.

150! The little extra on bottom is worth the few hundred bucks IMO. My track is a combination of blow sand, some areas ate silty and hard pack. On the few uphill sections in the deep sand the 150 will pull away from a 125, with equal riders on the bike anyway.

Tested both- 125 and 150- on sandy track before I bought a 150. The "big brother" is way better/easier to ride in sandy conditions/uphills and especially - for B-level riders. My advice- buy 150. 

• Like 1