Sign in to follow this  

Rm125 04 clutch problem

Bike was grabbing when engaging 1st so had a look clutch basket was worn so replaced basket and plates. Now I have slip , bike isn't grabbing when gears are engaged . In order to get the bike to grab I have to wind the clutch adjustment right in so there is heaps of play at the lever . It's a really loose lever now. Also if the bike is off and I engage first and hold the clutch the bike won't roll it grabs heaps . Did previous owner stretch the clutch cable or is the push rod not disengaging so causing slip . Some help on the matter would be greatly appreciated .

Look at the clutch plates and make sure they stack to the outside edge of the basket, if they are more than 1/8" down it will not engage. Mismatched clutch plates.

It's a heavy duty clutch kit I ordered off eBay .. I haven't measured the spring length but they harder to compress than the pervious springs .. I will measure the springs and check to manual specs . Cheers

It's a heavy duty clutch kit I ordered off eBay .. I haven't measured the spring length but they harder to compress than the pervious springs .. I will measure the springs and check to manual specs . Cheers

That's exactly what happened to me, ordered the same kit. If it has aluminum plates that is where your problem lies not because of the aluminum but because of the thickness of those plates. Right now as a band-aid I mixed in 3 thicker steel plates and this got the clutch throw right, with no slippage. I did buy an OEM clutch setup for the mod bike, much more expensive but it is the right setup.