Grey wire difference.

Hi there everyone, I have been giving my 02 wr426 a once over as it is new to me.

I checked valve clearance, ( all in spec ), & whilst in there checked valve timing, it is set to standard wr timing of thirteen pins between the cam marks.

Now mine has the grey wire disconnected, & my question is this, I do a lot of tight trail riding most of the time, & wondered if I connect the grey wire to a switch so I can use both maps, does the grey wire connected make the bike run smoother at low revs, or will there likely be very little difference?

Thank you for looking & any advice, I'm getting to love this bike!

• 2 weeks later...

I did not notice much difference at lower speeds so I don't think reconnecting will do much for trail riding. I did feel a little more punch at higher rpm.

I was going to wire a switch, but then after I pulled the wire an ran it I decided it would not be worth the effort.

• 2 weeks later...

As an ad on to this thread, my bike (426f), is according to my insurance, an import, (From where I know not)!

On checking it over I notice it has the yz throttle stop screw, the grey wire looks like it was disconnected as stock, & it has the original muffler on it, which has the non removable tip, (factory welded on). Airbox snorkel in place.

The bike is I believe completely stock in this form, my question is are there any modifications that anyone would advise me to undertake on this bike fuel/exhaust setup, as these euro bikes are it seems different in setup to the US bikes.