WHAT'S A FAIR PRICE FOR AN 08 / YZ250F?

WP_20121223 3.jpg

Pictured is a 2008 yz250F with considerable hours over the life of the bike ( probably 300 hrs ) -- both in motocross and endurocross. Never raced, rarely over-revved and always well-maintained.  The engine is stock and valve lash has been regularly maintained. This year: new clutch complete with springs, all bearings changed ( steering, wheels, swing-arm and back suspension ). Front and rear suspension fully serviced as well. Since then, bike has been motocrossed about 30hrs this season. Have original bar and a Tag high bar, new rad hoses, new brakes. Last season, new front and rear Michelin Starcross tires, O-ring chain and sprockets ( starting to show signs of some wear on back ). I am an intermediate level rider in both disciplines. The bike starts on the first kick and still appears to me to have plenty of power. I believe the engine is still in good condition because I notice no oil loss during oil changes, which I use 10W40 all-synthetic and changes every 9-10 hrs, depending on dust conditions ( motocrossing ).

I am looking for a fair, ball-park figure what I should ask for the bike, as I am planning to sell it as is with a lot of hours.

Thanks

Around here asking price would be somewhere in the $2200 neighborhood and sale price would be just a bit less.

CoKTM

Thanks. Since I am from Ontario, Canada, prices are a bit higher. I was thinking around $2500 - $2800 asking price. I was hoping I could unload the bike to someone who really would look after it, perhaps a newbie or a teenager who is looking for a bargain and is just getting into the sport. The bike still has some life left to it.

Thanks again.

How many pistons has it had and what was your replacement schedule for that? Are they the stock valves or has the head been re-built a couple of times as well?

I empathize with your plight, -- and you can ask for whatever you want, but a 250F with a ton of hours and no internal engine maintence other than adjusting the valves might last the next guy another year, or it might blow big on the 3rd ride out. If the valves have needed to be shimmed at all, that means they are moving

How many pistons has it had and what was your replacement schedule for that? Are they the stock valves or has the head been re-built a couple of times as well?

I empathize with your plight, -- and you can ask for whatever you want, but a 250F with a ton of hours and no internal engine maintence other than adjusting the valves might last the next guy another year, or it might blow big on the 3rd ride out. If the valves have needed to be shimmed at all, that means they are moving

As stated, everything is stock in the engine department except the clutch. Each year, my mechanic replaced only about one-two shims as they were too tight.  The timing chain and tightener was in excellent condition. That's all I know, really. I rarely over-rev the bike and it never saw a motocross gate. Also, I always allow plenty of warm-up at start-up before motoing, allowing proper lubrication to take place. These little things help the longevity of the engine.

I am thinking of having an air-compression test to determine if the valves are leaking at all. I'll know more, then. I do hope when I eventually sell it that serious issues do not develop for the next guy. But, as I have bought used equipement before and paid dearly for it soon after purchase, this bike, I feel is no where near a wreck soon to be happening. Unless the new rider is an abusive idiot like so many I see.

I thought about completely rebuilding the engine with new components and possibly opening it up to 270cc.. Might do me for another three years or so that I'll be motocrossing. Then, I'll be 60 years old and time to stop. However, been told that all you get is a newer engine on an older bike and the money invested is not worth it. besides, the newer models have injection and after three years when I'm done the moto-business for good, I can still resell the bike for good resale value. Got some thinking to do about it all.

Thanks for your input and wisdom.

Edited by Bandmann57

That's the crappy thing about 4 strokes, you never really know what you have until it's gone. 2500 seems reasonable for Canadian prices but again, the value is always going to be hurt because of the nature of these bikes, especially 250f's. Someone could get it and look after it as you seem to have done and get years out of it or it might last a week, you never really know unless you rebuild the entire thing. The money you invest in the motor won't add anything to the bike but insurance really, you'll know it's all good (or hope anyways) but as far as value, that won't do much. If you're looking for a newer bike then sell yours but if you're totally happy with your bike, there's no real reason to sell. Just know that down the road, sooner then later you're going to either have to rebuild it or part it out or unload it before the next guy owns it, that's the nature of the beast. Honestly if it was me and I really liked the thing? I'd keep it. If you can afford to rebuild it when something goes wrong and bite the sticker shock of the cost to do so, then maybe it's not all so bad. Plus then you can upgrade it with some trick goodies and stainless valves, keep your receipts and ride it until you decide to sell further down the road. 

That's the crappy thing about 4 strokes, you never really know what you have until it's gone. 2500 seems reasonable for Canadian prices but again, the value is always going to be hurt because of the nature of these bikes, especially 250f's. Someone could get it and look after it as you seem to have done and get years out of it or it might last a week, you never really know unless you rebuild the entire thing. The money you invest in the motor won't add anything to the bike but insurance really, you'll know it's all good (or hope anyways) but as far as value, that won't do much. If you're looking for a newer bike then sell yours but if you're totally happy with your bike, there's no real reason to sell. Just know that down the road, sooner then later you're going to either have to rebuild it or part it out or unload it before the next guy owns it, that's the nature of the beast. Honestly if it was me and I really liked the thing? I'd keep it. If you can afford to rebuild it when something goes wrong and bite the sticker shock of the cost to do so, then maybe it's not all so bad. Plus then you can upgrade it with some trick goodies and stainless valves, keep your receipts and ride it until you decide to sell further down the road. 

I really appreciated your input -- thanks. I might try a " leak-down test " to determin how well the valves seal. Closest thing to a compresion test. That way I'll know whether the valve train is in good shape. I also know that there may still be some valve heads beginning to collapse and if so, it's not long before the engine could be toast if the valves are not replaced soon. Keeping an older bike also means other areas start to go -- suspension and handling. I heard the 2012-2013's handle enormously better than the older 08-11 yz250f's. That is a great reason to sell and buy a new 2013 to reap the benefits here. I guess I don't care if it is still a carbureator -- fuel injection could go and then what do you do? Pay full price for the tech guys to fix it?  All-in-all, there are some really sweet prices on 2013's in Ontario and some are still in the crate. Could get  one for around $5900 to the $6200 range. If so, I'll buy new for sure. Thanks again.

You've taken good care of it from what you've described.     Just put it up for sale for what your heart feels is equitable and tell the new owner it needs the valves checked every 20 hours or so if its moto'ed, ---  suspension and handling is a thing that's somewhat easy to restore if its even a factor  -- bikes now are better then they wer 15 years ago -- kind of like modern pickup trucks ---- They are worth spending a little time on to re-furbish an older ride  (seems like this would be especially true in your area where bikes are a bit more costly) 

Its not as if your divorcing a spouse who was just diagnosed with a bad disease -- its just a 4 stroke mx'er ---   The YZF's are damn solid bikes for sure --- I recall an article in Dirt Bike from 2 or 3 years ago where they were doing a long term test on an 08 or 09 YZ250F with over 200 racing hours on it

In closing, I will add that everytime I sell a bike of mine, I approach it as if that is a new owner that I will now be seeing at the track or trailhead regularly  -- so I sell accordingly.    Quite a few guys you never see again,  but then again, about half the time, i'll see my old bike lined up in the 250 novice class (still with the same #'s, sponsor decals etc -- go figure) -- or at a local hare scramble.     I just tell the folks to have fun with it and hit me up at the races if they have a question about anything

Us 1700....Canada 1790.27

Us 2500.....Canada 2632.75

Funny I thaught Canadian money had a little more kick than this over u.s currency

I'll be damned -- maybe it was Australia I was thinking of ----  on the X forum once someone was ranting about new Honda X's costing 12k -- possibly it was Aussie instead of a Canadian ---   but dot he bikes have higher initial MSRP's in Canada than the US ?   Hmmmmm ...........

that's enough thought for one day, the thought police will get me

In Canada a 2001 cr250 has a value of 2-25 from what I heard there was a guy that got a bike from us showed up with like 10 cr250s of dif years he was Canadian came here grabbed a grip of bikes hen would almost double his money he said